Report: Silent Hunter 5 recalled in Germany over swastika use

Friday, 12th March 2010 17:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

silenthunter5

German website Computerbase is claiming that the special edition of Ubisoft’s Silent Hunter 5 has been recalled over the use of swastikas.

Apparently, the SKU does not have the Nazi symbols properly removed.

For the record, Germany is extremely touchy about swastika use. It’s illegal to publish the image of a swastika at all. You can properly, like, go to jail.

We’ve asked Ubi for comment, as there’s very little detail.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Erthazus

Fair enough when you live everyday in the shadow of World War II. Germans ban Swastikas and Nazi paraphernalia because of the hate, suffering, and pain they represent, especially to the country’s Jewish community.

2. Hunam

It’s a bit anti-freedom though. It’s one of those damned if you do and damned if you don’t situations though.

3. DeSpiritusBellum

Heh. Yeah. It works really well trying to repress the past and pretend like it never happened. Or not. Germany still counts the largest concentration of neo nazis, and quite arguably banning assemblies, let alone extreme fringe ones, doesn’t exactly serve to make them less attractive to the kind of people who seek them out in the first place.

Neo nazism is a not a political movement, it’s a counter culture – You give ‘em more to rebel against, and it just makes it far more exciting. Germany needs to cut the act and start coming to terms with its past instead of playing innocent and pretending like it was all a bad dream.

It has nothing to do with respecting survivors, it’s just a whitewash. My uncle was tortured by the Gestapo and sent to Buchenwald KZ for sabotage and my great grandmother was murdered by the nazis, that’s why I think it’s a shame that neo nazis get more to fight for than just an already defeated ideology.

4. theevilaires

Damn didn’t know Germany was so sensitive still after their ass whooping. If any Germans are offended I’ll gladly take your wives out to dinner when I come there on vacation :D

5. DUFFKING

Yes tea, the Germans and the Nazis are the exact same people.

6. theevilaires

Stop your BS Duffking you know you hate Americans after your country’s embarrassing fall in WWII. You know it hurts you to play COD and MOH games :D

I’m just busting your balls. I love Germans especially their women :D

7. Bulk Slash

Was it because the DRM had Nazi symbols all over it?

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@7 LOL. Holy shit, that made my day.

9. DUFFKING

Sorry tea, I wasn’t aware that the UK lost WWII.

0_o

10. theevilaires

UK loses just for being UK period.