Itagaki announces Valhalla Game Studios in Famitsu interview

Wednesday, 3rd March 2010 13:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

itagaki2

Tomonobu Itagaki’s confirmed his new studio is called Valhalla Game Studios, and that the outfit is now 50-strong.

Itagaki dropped the info in the latest edition of Famitsu.

“Valhalla is about 50 people right now,” the ex-Team Ninja lead told the mag. “That may expand a bit, but it’s not going to be a 100-person company. Fifty people working for two years can produce something better than 100 people working for one year: 100 times one and 50 times two may produce the same number, but not in creative businesses like this one.

“I know nobody means any harm by it, but publicly-traded companies have to prove their worth to the stock market on a year-by-year basis, and that means they can’t focus all-out on quality. We’re creators here; we like making things more than doing math.”

Itagaki famously quit Tecmo two years ago, and has only just resolved a dispute over supposedly owed money.

He said that moving onto Valhalla from Tecmo boiled down to creative freedom.

“I think success in games comes when you satisfy all three pieces of the game business,” he said, “the players, the developers, and the links between them – the retail and media people. I’ve been making games for nearly 20 years and I’ve done that maybe two or three times.

“It’s definitely hard, but it’s not impossible – all three groups are there for the games, after all. The thing is that I think the Japanese industry has made achieving that all but impossible these days. There’s an equation you can use to satisfy all three groups, but once money enters the picture, you start neglecting the things that’re most important and the equation winds up unsolvable. My friends and I went independent because we were wasting our time wrangling with issues like that.”

Valhalla’s first game is under wraps as yet. Thanks, 1UP.

1. Captain Fruitloop

Man, you could grate cheese on his facial skin.

2. JonFE

Being a Ninja Gaiden fan, I cannot wait to find out more about Valhalla’s first game. 8)

3. Blerk

Mary is not amused.

4. mington

Valhalla Game Studios? thats almost as bad as sledgehammer

they should be called ‘face melter studios’

5. DUFFKING

I’d like to see him try something new, but a worthy spiritual sequel to NGB would be welcome. NGII played like a fan mod or something – it looked pretty much the same but the balance was missing entirely.

6. Psychotext

Bah, Tokyo Vikings was a better name. Plus if it had all gone wrong they could have started a hockey team. :)

7. OlderGamer

I find it funny and telling that this guy looks like a rock star. And really, I bet he feels like one too. I noticed a lot of JP game devs carry themself like that. No biggie really, just that a few of them seem stuck on themself.

Maybe if they put more attention into bringing there games out of the 90s, I would be more interested.

8. Scyrenn

Fuck that, it’s not like games ever went anywhere worthwile after the 90s… :p

Or something, whatever, what year is this, again? :)

9. FeaturePreacher

Can’t wait to see Itagaki show what’s left of Team Ninja how to make a proper action game.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

He’s got some decent cred (NES Techmo Bowl, DOA, NG), and I like his view of quality for the players.

Hope he puts bouncing boobies in his next game too…..

11. pheaton360

Make a horror game Itagaki san! I belive that his next game will gonna be a Xbox exlusive.