Motion controls are “too exhausting” for Final Fantasy, says Kitase

Tuesday, 16th February 2010 18:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii4

Natal or Arc for Final Fantasy XV? Don’t bet on it, according to FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase.

He reckons it’d be “too exhausting” to use them for future FF titles.

These new type of controllers are very interesting, but we’re not sure that people would like to spend up to 100 hours playing a conventional Final Fantasy title with these type of controllers,” said Kitase, speaking to CVG.

He further added: “It could be too exhausting if you were always swinging a sword around for battles. So we will have to see what the future holds.”

In the same talk with the site, FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama said the reviews so far for the game are currently seen “from a western point of view”.

FFXIII’s out on March 9.

1. onlineatron

Ok so that’s

‘Final Fantasy 7 remake CAN’T be done in HD’

‘We CAN’T tell a story in an open world’

‘Motion Controls CAN’T be implemented into a long game’

Pessimism thy name is SquareEnix

(PS. Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers)

2. MushroomStamp

I know I wouldn’t want to play for hours and hours the way I do if I had to use a motion controller. Hence the reason my Wii is a dust collector.

1) NO motion controller EVER detects accurately the motion the person makes. The person has to learn how to move the controller to get the desired result. So it’s frustrating when I move a certain way or certain speed/force but the game does not interpret the way intended.

2) It definitely would get tiring to game for hours waving your arms around.

3. onlineatron

Bu…bu… bu

What if I wanna change the ARC’s light to red and cast fire?

4. DaMan

this reminded me of Mega64′s FF8 video.

or better yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obpGWK-1jAc

5. frostquake

I have tried playing for HOURS with the Wiimote, on Metroid Prime..OMG..Wrist cramps that would make Zeus bend over and vomit lighting bolts…
    I HATE Motion controls..Oh I pray to the Death Unicorns of Hell that Motion Controls are a Fad..or I might just have to give up console gaming all together…Now look what you did, you made me sad and I am crying tears, mmmmm they are tasty, nice and salty…now where is that whip??
    JUST SAY NO TO MOTION CONTROL!!!

6. Phoenixblight

SEnix are being Negative nancy as of late it seems.

7. Phoenixblight

Little off topic but I went to Amazon to look at getting the guide and noticed it is Piggyback Interactive and not BradyGames who usually does all of Square games. I went to PI site and noticed they have all the “official Strategy Guides” of Square games but I own those exact same guides and they have Bradygames on them. Is PI another name for Brady now?

8. Blerk

A-ha! At last they’ve said something that makes sense!

Down with motion controls! Boo! Hiss! :-D

9. RGW1982

@ 2

1) I’m Betting When The “ARC” Comes Out That It Will Accurately Detect The Motion The Person Makes & You Will Not Have To “Learn The Controller” As You Say.