Mass Effect 2 sells 2 million in launch week

Friday, 29th January 2010 17:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffect26

EA’s announced that Mass Effect 2 has sold over 2 million units during launch week.

It’s an outstanding achievement [no pun intended - JC] for a game which only launched in the US on Tuesday, and  today in the UK and Europe.

Already, the game’s gotten fantastic scores and a meta of 96 on 360 and 95 for PC.

“Mass Effect 2 is poised to be one of the biggest games of 2010″, said BioWare boss Ray Muyzka. “We could not be more proud of the game’s universal acclaim and early commercial success.”

Go. And. Buy. It.

PR below.

BIOWARE’S MASS EFFECT 2 HAILED AS 1st BLOCKBUSTER OF 2010

Game Earns Rave Reviews, Sells 2Million Units in Week One

Guildford, UK (January 29, 2010) – Forty perfect scores. Two million units. One pop culture phenomenon. BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced today that Mass Effect™ 2 has sold-in over two million units worldwide in its first week of release*. Lauded for its intense shooter gameplay and deep, hand-crafted story, Mass Effect 2 has earned an average review score of 96** — making it the second highest rated game of all time on the Xbox 360 platform***. Mass Effect 2 has earned 40 perfect scores, amassed over 30 editor’s choice awards and is donning the front cover of 20 magazines worldwide. On launch day, the term “Mass Effect” was in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter and most searched on Google News. MSNBC.com said, “Mass Effect will go down as one of the most influential video game series of all-time.”

Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder, BioWare and Group General Manager of the RPG/MMO Group of EA said, “Mass Effect 2 is poised to be one of the biggest games of 2010. We could not be more proud of the game’s universal acclaim and early commercial success.”

Mass Effect 2 launched this week hot on the heels of BioWare’s Dragon Age: Origins, the studio’s dark fantasy RPG which shipped in fall 2009. Dragon Age: Origins has earned an average review score of 91****, making it the highest rated original intellectual property from EA in the last year. Mass Effect 2 follows in BioWare’s tradition of delivering excellence on every front: gameplay, story, character development and visuals. Mass Effect 2 is an epic shooter/RPG set in a vast universe filled with dangerous alien life and mysterious, uncharted planets. In Mass Effect 2, players step into the role of the heroic Commander Shepard, leading a crew of some of the most dangerous operatives from across the galaxy on a mission so challenging that it’s potentially suicidal. Featuring intense action, a rich storyline, space exploration and engaging character interaction, Mass Effect 2 delivers an unparalleled gaming experience.

Mass Effect 2 is available for the Xbox 360 and the PC and is 15 by the BBFC. For more information, follow the development team on Twitter at http://twitter.com/masseffect2 or visit the game’s official UK website at http://getmasseffect.ea.com.

*According to internal EA data.
**On Xbox 360 platform according to Metacritic.com.
***Mass Effect 2 is tied for second place according to Metacritic.com.
****On PC according to Metacritic.com.

1. mescalineeyes

It’s only the best game ever made.

2. Dralen

That’s Insane! Congrats to Bioware!

3. Mauller

I absolutely love this game. I don’t appreciate all of the changes that were made but those I can deal with.

4. Gheritt White

[/heads over to N4G for a good old laugh]

5. Psychotext

Very impressive. Top notch game.

6. Johnny Cullen

SHIFT’S OVER!

[/runs to nearest GAME to get 360 CE]

7. The Hindle

Wouldnt go to N4G full of idiots Gherrit

8. reask

Wow that is MW2 type figures.
    I mean for an RPG that has to be impressive.

9. Goliath

Who runs N4G? That site needs to be burnt to the groud. I swear, everyone who posts there must be 15 years old.

@ reask

Considering they’ve heavily marketed the game as a competent shooter rather than mediocre RPG, it’s not surprising.

10. Gheritt White

N4g used to be really good and the site still does its job as an aggregator. The comments are just comedy though – I’m perpetually fearful VG247′s comments end up like N4G’s (or CVG’s, or EG’s for that matter).

11. Goliath

I don’t read the comments at N4G anymore. I don’t even read the articles depending on the source. I’ll admit that VG247 has the most civil comment section I’ve seen but there aren’t as many posters as other sites. Many of the commenters seem to regularly post and are quite civil even when they disagree. I don’t know if this site’s comment section even has a mod or why it would even need one.

12. No_PUDding

Very amazing.

I don’t know how the 360 does this. I am starting to think it’s the mixture of it being the winning platform, and it’s social network.

There’s no reason this shouldnt happen elsewhere.

13. endgame

“I mean for an RPG that has to be impressive.” it’s not. it’s a 3rd person shooter first and then a rpg. dao is a rpg.

14. No_PUDding

And more to the point, the insinuation that RPG’s are somehow bad sellers is fucking insane.

DAO, Oblivion, Fallout… And now Mass Effect. That genre is in no short demand.

15. The Hindle

An example of how bad the other forums are is with EG,Something compleatly unrelated to the Ps3 or the 360 but it turned into a fanboy war thats how pathetic its getting

16. Phoenixblight

@13 Agreed.

It really is a great game, I have spent multiple hours walking around in the new Normandy, its freakin huge! My favorite character is Moridan, He is a complex character by far my favorite along with Jack, she is just a complete bitch.

17. zoopdeloop

Developers did a very well done job here…ME is one of the shooters i truly admire since it has RPg elements and isn’t just an ordinary generic shooter.

@12 Winning what?turn the fanboyism on eh?as i recall these sales are for 360 and PC

18. Seraphemz

has it been a week already? I thought it came out Tuesday…

19. Psychotext

First four days would probably sound even better. ;)

20. Johnny Cullen

I’ve played an hour-and-a-half and oh my god, this is… amazing.

Already. Everything is amazing about this game. Words fail me.

21. Phoenixblight

My only issue with the game is static squadmate armor even the different outfits you get after doing the loyalty missions, its the same outfit just different colors. Also the scanning minigame for minerals most boring thing ever.

22. Psychotext

I’m really getting into it now. Didn’t seem to be pressing the Mass Effect buttons for me at the start but it’s growing on me in a big way.

23. OlderGamer

These are FF type numbers. But I do agree, this game is less RPG in the traditional sense. However I do think that more and more game generas will cross blend in the near future. I think it is good sense to add some type of RPGish style to most games. It adds depth and conection that games would otherwise lack.

A good example would be CoDs “levels”/perks. We can see it in other games too.

24. Pyrix

Played it for about 4 hours now, and it is very good, I’m just not sure I like the ammo system, definitely makes it too much like a shooter.

I’m free all day tomorrow so will really get stuck into it, and hopefully it will enthrall me as much as Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins did. It definitely looks that way so far.

25. Uncontested

What I want to see is how many of those are on PC and how many are 360, considering the first game wasn’t put onto PC for a while after it was released on 360.

26. The Hindle

Its good i can see it being in me top 3 of this year and its good to see people think 2m is good sales. Most people dont

27. Psychotext

2m sales is great after the first few days. Who on earth would think it wasn’t? No-one is that stupid.

28. The_Villa

You know, the realase week for this game started 3 days ago.

29. mescalineeyes

also, its not really multiplatform, no matter how much PC kids are trying to prove they matter — they don’t, at least not sales wise.

30. Hunam

That’s and odd statement considering Bioware have a loyal and large PC fanbase.

31. BabyJesus

Bioware getting the numbers they deserve, there is a gaming god.

32. onlineatron

Got it today for my birthday (WISH ME HAPPY BDAY NOW!) but haven’t had a chance to play it.

I’m too busy being pathetic and letting my ex-gf take me out for the day.

33. The Hindle

Can see it doing 3m total sales, Bioshick 2 and Avp ae just around the corner so going to be intresting in the next few weeks

34. Psychotext

Just completed it. So, so awesome.

Will wait for a little more DLC before I do a second playthrough though.