Sony Santa Monica: “This is not the end for God of War”

Tuesday, 19th January 2010 12:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

godofwarIII7

God of War III may be wrapping up a trilogy, but you can expect to see plenty from old baldy yet.

“This is not the end of God of War,” John Hight, Sony Santa Monica’s director of product development told Gamervision.

“This is definitely the end of the trilogy, but we’re going to continue to do God of War games.”

Hight added: “We’re going to be very careful about what we do; we’re the keepers of the franchise and we don’t want to see it ruined or polluted.”

Further GoWIII shots were shown off yesterday, detailing Kratos scaling the titan Gaia, a continuation of the second game’s ending.

The third title releases on March 25 in Japan. We’ll know when it’s going to arrive in the US and Europe very soon.

1. mington

could Kratos jump into Norse mythology, just give him a bigger beard

considering he killed everyone from ancient Greece

2. Joe Anderson (wotta)

Another PSP game please. Last one was epic. :)

3. SniperWolf

the more GOW games the better

4. Patrick Garratt

I still haven’t finished Chains of Olympus. It is very cool, definitely.

5. Eregol

I do hope this doesn’t turn into dead horse flogging.

EDIT: Also, Santa Monica didn’t develop Chains of Olympus. It was done by Ready at Dawn.

6. NGCes26294BIV

I totally called this – albeit under another username, so never mind.

7. Gheritt White

Next – the Gods of Ancient Egypt!

8. mojo

lol

main char is Dr. Daniel Jackson, endboss is RA then or what?=
    ah no, that was stargate..

9. mington

@7 he’d probably fit in quite well, but..

how can they match the Titans

what other mythologies are as epic

Time traveling Nazi killing!!!

10. Eregol

Greek Mythology is as Mington said extremely epic.
    Nothing else compares really.

I can’t see how any other lore would fit into the GoW template.

11. tezzer1985

They have to keep Kratos as the main character, cause he is so iconic to the series…I have faith that what ever they do, it will turn out great

12. Robo_1

As big a fan as I am of the God of War games, I’m somewhat disappointed to hear this. I think it’s sad when a studio ends up stuck doing one franchise forever more. I’d love to see what a team as talented as Santa Monica Studio could do with other genres and concepts.

Maybe they’ll take a hiatus from GoW before starting the next trilogy.

13. OlderGamer

I agree Robo, this type of cash cow milking kills a lot of potentialy great new IP from big name studios.

What could IW or Bungee or insert-name-here do if they weren’t tethered down with the same old IPs?

14. DaMan

I really dislike Greek mythology, one of the reasons I never actually liked this game.

15. Blerk

Yeah, I’m sort of with Robo_1 as well. Three games, story done – call it a day before it gets too diluted. The same team could then go on to apply the same scale and polish to a completely different project.

16. Eregol

I used to read about Greek Mythology when I was in primary school. Every lunch time I was in the library reading the same book over and over.
    Maybe that’s why I like the games so much?
    I doubt it.
    It’s because they’re a lot of fun.

17. DaMan

like I said that’s one of the reasons.

I don’t like this series’ gameplay either.

18. McLovin85

@ Robo and OG

It’s true that it is sad when a studio is forced to churn out sequel after sequel.
    On the other hand they may opt to do these sequels because they are passionate about the franchise and wouldn’t want it being farmed out to another dev for them to go and ruin. They always said that GoW was going to be an epic trilogy, so i knew there would be 3 games.

I think a studio which creates such a great game (and character) are proud of what they have accomplished and therefore want to continue their hero’s storyline for all to enjoy. As long as a sequel isn’t churned out every year, and care is taken developing it, then i don’t mind if they make several sequels as long as the quality remains high. An example is Naughty Dog with Jax and Daxter, and also Nathan Drake.

Bungie is doing their last Halo game this year and IW have another new IP they are now working on, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. The pressure is definitely on to create another game that to rival the success of what they have previously created.

19. Quiiick

“… we’re the keepers of the franchise and we don’t want to see it ruined or polluted.”

Stop making any more GoW games if you don’t want it being ruined or polluted.
    Simple as that!
    And stop thinking about games as being franchises, for god’s sake! *grrr*

20. The Hindle

Anyone whos seen the secret videos in the first gow will know where the series will go after Gow 3 ends.

21. Gekidami

I doubt we’ll ever see a follow-up that that present day Chronos thing. As for the other video. I’m sure ‘he’ will be in GoW3.

22. mington

GOD OF WAR RACING

23. Gekidami

‘God Of War Kart’ you mean. ;)

24. Eregol

@Hindle
    Oh yeah. I keep forgetting about ‘THAT’ video.

25. mington

they probably could make quite a fun little weapon based kart game out of this :) VIOLENT QTE RACING

26. Goliath

Not very happy to hear this. I’m actually one of those people who believe their should be a point where popular franchises end.

27. onlineatron

I wouldn’t mind them keeping the name.

But I wouldn’t like to see Kratos appear in the successor to GoWIII.

28. mington

shouldn’t kratos die at the end of this game, he’s been pushing his luck for quite a while

29. No_PUDding

I am with everyone in the mindset that… WE would like to see a talented studio try something new.

30. onlineatron

I want that to happen, but I know it wont.

No way would Sony let Santa Monica kill off a potential franchise selling character.

Hmmm, perhaps i’m too morbid though?
    After all I wanted both Wall.E and Carl Fredrickson to die in the last to Pixar films (for dramatic impact).

31. mington

they should reboot God of War and send kratos back to high school, and have him voiced by Nolan North

32. onlineatron

GENIUS!!

I vote that Vulture should be the villain… that or puberty.

33. mington

and the sex mini game will be REALLY difficult…and short

34. onlineatron

lmao, Heavy Rain style cramp inducing button holds.

35. OlderGamer

I don’t think I could have said it better myself.

Not every game needs to be a franchise.

But that it the idea today. New IPs are born with the idea of lasting thro the years and spawning several big money making sequels. Thus becoming a huge franchise.

And this game is already on its thrid release. And that is fine, yet, after claiming that three was it, now we hear there will be more. More GoW, thats one thing, but the worse part of it all is the soon to be flood of Me-too GoW games.

And THAT is where my problem is. Agame becomes franchise because it rakes in the cash. Then other games copy it formula in hopes of doing the samething. Then we have something like what the games market is today.

What do I mean?

How many Generic FPS games do we need? War-sim, space marines, hell spawn, take your pick. But clearly the sucsess of Halo, CoD, Bioshock, have created an atmosphere where a game goes from franchise into genere leader/definer, and then much of the industry chase it.

I am sorry but I don’t really want to be over run with more DMC/Beyonetta/GoW/Darksider/etc/etc/etc. If we have 35 GoW wanna bes, doesn’t that cheapen GoW games to begin with?
    [edit: yes those are decent games, my point is how much fun are you going to have after playing your 100th clone of said games?]

I think so.

GoW was nice, it was fun, move on.

Lead the industry, not by churning out regualr updated versions of the same ole game, but lead by moving on to create the next buzz. Give something else the attention and crafting that went into GoW.

Just my two cents, but meh.

I don’t see anything changing, too many suits that invested and made money off of the likes of the Halos, Gears, CoDs, and GoWs of the world. And in their mind if they made money once, there is more money to be made by doing it again, and again. And again.

36. Eregol

Dante’s Inferno 2.
    Coming soon.

37. The Hindle

I think Santa Monica will make a new ip after Gow as a cv from a guy who works there showed he was working on Gow 3 and an unannounced game. Was on N4g if you want to go look for it.

38. No_PUDding

I am not against creating franchises.

Often a new IP, won’t have the opportunity to execute on the vision or potential.

Series are great for that reiterative design process.

But it’s frustrating when it’s a series or design that has been run into the ground, purely to make money.

I doubt GoW will sell that well, and then hopefully we can have a new IP instead.

39. zoopdeloop

I remember an interview i read 1 year ago and this guy said something like this.Back then he meant that after the end of the GoW trilogy they will make another GoW-like IP moving away from the Greek Mythology.
    Still he doesn’t mean that there will be another GoW(as we know it)or Kratos in it.Maybe Kratos will be in their next game as a preference only.
    Just hope we don’t have to see Kratos moving to other mythologies and battling Egyptian,Norsh gods

40. Psychotext