Project Needlemouse to focus on Sonic only, concept art released

Friday, 15th January 2010 22:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

sonicnew

Sega’s confirmed that Project Needlemouse, the new 2D HD Sonic game, will be based on the speedy hedgehog alone.

There will be no inclusion of new characters in the game, nor will there be any other playable characters for the game.

The company also showed the game’s first piece of concept art, featuring a Crabnik.

It’s due out later this year for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. Game was announced in September last year.

1. Michael O’Connor

*laughs* Nicely played Sega.

I remember when Sega announced the character countdown the other day and people started bitching about the extended cast.

Bunch of cynical whiners. Sega just personally owned the whole lot of you.

No doubt they knew intimately people’s tiredness of the constantly extending cast when they planned out this little stunt. Personally, I can’t stop laughing.

This game is looking more appealing every day.

2. Freek

I’m sure they’ll find the time to add something stupid that ruins the entire game, like they did the last time a Sonic game looked good…..boom: shitty WEREWOLF mode!

3. Michael O’Connor

Or maybe the whole point of this game is to go back to basics?

That’s the whole reason for the Project Needlemouse codename.

4. No_PUDding

I don’t think they have the skill to go back to basics now. Creating a geat 2D platformer is difficult when they’v been superceeded.

What they need now in my opinion, is to keep it in 3D (reminding people the IP is still a big serious franchise) and just seriously reinvent. Going back to 2D will work as fan service, but nothing else.

And I’ll be honest, fan service would be a good 3D Sonic game ANYWAY.

5. DUFFKING

To be fair Freek the last Sonic game never looked good at any point, since the ’2D’ bits were utter shite.

6. bugmenot

sonic unleashed looked great, from the demo at least, played decent too. a big improvement on the one before.

7. Hunam

I think this is SEGA’s put up or shut up game. If this doesn’t do very well they can point at it every time someone bitches about the other games losing the original spirit.

8. Bulk Slash

I really hope Sega don’t screw this up, this is their chance to fix Sonic and put an end to years of neglect caused by annual 3D sequels.

However I am slightly disappointed that Sonic’s new friend Mr. Needlemouse won’t be in the game… :D

9. 2EX08

…Lets all have faith…
    After all that’s all SEGA can have from us until the game releases!
    Don’t give up on SEGA just yet…
    Only time will tell…

10. Michael O’Connor

I just had a brainstorm.

Platinum Games needs to make the next Sonic title…. make it so, Sega!

11. Robo_1

If not for the painful Werehog sections, Sonic: Unleashed would have been a great Sonic game.

12. DaMan

agreed, the night levels really ruined that game.

13. bugmenot

werehog is better than uzi wielding. small mercies i guess.

14. dirigiblebill

“Bunch of cynical whiners. Sega just personally owned the whole lot of you.”

The cynicism’s entirely justified. Nice to see Sega taking things back to formula this time round. :)

15. OlderGamer

I love the idea. I don’t see going back to 2D as a step backwards or a consecion at all. I think strong 2D titles are very much a valid option.Look at The New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Look at Shadow Complex. Look at Trine. I know there is a new 2D Bonk on its way to xbl/psn.

I tthink 2D can be far more then fan service. I am looking forward to this.

16. No_PUDding

And each and every single one of those titles, while great in it’s own right, are throwbacks – to sell on nostalgia.

Original 2D game concepts aren’t depleted, they just won’t be found in a fan service title. And they won’t be looking to be original in Sonic.

And in reality; becuase of that, it IS a complete concession. It’s the whole point of this revitalilsation.

17. Gekidami

Sega should start putting the resources into something other then all these Soinc games… Shenmue 3 perhaps?