Nintendo: DSi XL to have “slight premium” in retailer cost over DSi

Thursday, 14th January 2010 10:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dsixl

If you have a press, stop it: Nintendo told VG247 that DSi XL – confirmed this morning for a March 5 launch in Europe – is to cost retailers more than previous versions.

“There will be a slight premium on the Nintendo DSi XL trade price to retailers compared to the Nintendo DSi, but as always, the final price to consumers is determined by the retailers,” a rep said in an email.

When the machine was first aired in October last year, Nintendo said it “expected” the cost price to be higher than that of the Nintendo DSi.

The console went on sale for ¥20,000 ($217, £134) on November 21, named DSi LL.

A US date has yet to be announced, although Nintendo of America has already said it’ll be in the first quarter.

1. Hunam

To be expected being a giant monster that it is.

2. Blerk

You’ve got to hand it to Nintendo, they’ve certainly got the hang of the ‘reverse pricing model’. The older the DS gets, the more it costs! And yet… sales! Thousands of ‘em!

3. mington

well of course, its bigger innit, old people will be happy

i bet the advertising around this will be something like:

“HEY BIDDY! put that magnifying glass down, the new monster DSi”

4. Blerk

Old people are all secretly loaded anyway.

5. Hunam

They are too! Why don’t they treat themselves instead of giving it to their shitbag kids as inheritance :(

6. onlineatron

@Hunam

My friend has 3 grand in his bank for when he’s 18 from his Nan!

I’m 18/19 and only have a couple of hundred saved for me, by grandparents, for uni.

… That makes it sound like i’m ungrateful, which i’m not, but c’mon! THREE FUCKING GRAND!

7. Blerk

Think yourself lucky, I got ‘bugger all’. :-D

8. JonFE

I think I may be tempted to get one for myself (even though I’m not that old), but I fear the bigger screens at the same resolution would make graphics look blocky and spoil them…

Has anyone had any personal experience with them?

9. Len

Don’t worry onlineatron, you’ll both have blown it in the first month anyway, just he’ll be in a worse state than you! ;)