Wada: FFXIII could signal death of “this type of game” at Square

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 13:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii2

The Final Fantasy XIII team may move onto “‘next generation’ forms of play” now the game’s complete, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada’s told Edge, and that “this type of game” may cease to be made at the firm.

The comments are likely to cause shock in the FF fanboy fraternity.

“I believe Final Fantasy XIII is going be something special, and that it’s going to be well received by the audience,” Wada said.

“But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some ‘next generation’ forms of play.”

Wada said that the expectation of Square internal development is to create new experiences.

“I really think that the Final Fantasy team could create something completely different, but at the moment they’re strictly catering to the particular audience they have now,” he added.

FFXIII has now shipped in Japan, selling 1.6 million units in December. It’s planned to release on March 9 in the US and Europe.

1. Blerk

Risky. But about time, I think. They should take a long hard look at Mass Effect and and Fallout 3 and Oblivion (and possibly Demons Souls) and then… do their own thing. But with those in mind.

2. Freek

“This type of game” What does that mean, SE is going to stop making JRPGs?? Then what? They may aswell announce they are going to quit making videogames. 0_o

3. Blerk

I’m guessing they mean the closed-area world and basically turn-based mechanics. Western RPGs have rocketed off into the technological distance, and although I’m sure FFXIII will do well I’m not sure they’ll convince the West that it’s still the way to do things in the modern console gaming world. Fancy CGI flashiness doesn’t really fool anyone these days.

4. Phoenixblight

I think thats where VS comes in as in another form of FF. I think Wada is waiting to see how well that game turns out.

5. Blerk

VS is certainly a very interesting prospect. Looking forward to seeing… anything. Sometime. Hopefully soon.

6. zoopdeloop

RIP FF

7. The Hindle

You will need a Ps3 Blerk if you want to play Vs.

8. zoopdeloop

No he won’t he’ll wait,eventualy it will become multiplatform like MGS4

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I think what they mean by “this type of game” is running your character around in these beautiful enviornments that are nothing more than backgrounds which you can’t interact with, such as simple things you SHOULD be able to do like jump over curb, fences, etc.

One of the reviews I read on FFXIII said it’s like walking through a tunnel where you can’t really do much but it looks beautiful. Very last gen, even PS1 era style.

I’m glad to hear they’re thinking this way actually. I agree with Blerks first post, if SquareEnix puts their mind to it, they could combine genres and kick eveyones ass I’m sure (instead of making prettier versions of FF7 where the only upgrades are combat system, story, and graphics).

10. Hunam

Sounds like the usual boo hoo our home market doesn’t like us as much as we hoped bullshit.

11. Phoenixblight

WHat are you talking about MMGS4 is not multiplatform. There is not even a whisper of MGS 4 going to 360. #60 is in fact getting RIsing but so is PS3.

12. Bulk Slash

More likely Wada doesn’t want to spend the next 4 years developing the next FF game and would like to get back to some semblance of the near annual sequels they managed on the PS1. Most sequels this gen seem to need nearly 2 years, so that’s probably what he’s after.

13. DaMan

Vs looks interesting?.. man, Square really know how to hype their games. all we’ve seen was a couple of emo teens, and that it looks ‘dark’, and is based on Nomura’s version of reality. besides they’ve said it will be more of a traditional FF game than 13.

14. OlderGamer

VERY long over due.

I think the JP game maker should understand that they are presenting their games to a global market. They must adopt a graphic style that is not revolting to 3/4 of the game world. And they must evolve their gameplay.

Tradition is fine when it comes to books or even music. However the very nature of Video Games eats tradition alive. If gamers wanted traditional games doesn’t stand to reason that we would stop buying new game systems? I think it does. As tech and hardware advances the games made need to keep pace. Long, non interactive cutscenes (ala MGS4) have got to go, and I believe that the game mechanics, story telling, youthful childlike party games that we call Jrpgs also need to go.

Would you rather play an on rails shooter or an open world sandbox fps? House of the Dead or Left for Dead? FF Tactics or Sid Meirers Civilization? Blue Dragon or Dragon Age: Origins? It goes on and on.

On the large, JP has been falling behind. And, maybe it was their arogance or maybe their ignorance they have not felt the cold winds of change. I think THAT is what Wada is talking about. And just talking about it is prolly close to blasphemy in some circles in JP. I am sorry if you are one of those that still love JRPGs, because I know, and I think you know it too, that those games are fewer and farther between then they used to be. They are a dying breed.

Lastly I say enjoy the new FF when it comes out. It may very well be the last great FF game to ever be made.

Sorry I haven’t been here in a while, I have been playing World of Warcraft. Hmm, maybe that further proves my point.

15. DaMan

I think that japanese games like Star Ocean 3, or VP Silmeria or SMT Nocturne are the way to go though. FFXII was in the right direction as well. those titles did plenty of stuff right.

I don’t think they will disappear, like say, 2d beat em ups but all those problems jrpgs ‘ve had since SNES are very noticeable today.. the genre really needs some radical changes.