FFXIII sells between 1-1.1 million day one

Friday, 18th December 2009 08:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates. We won’t bore you with the details.

Secondly, FFXIII appears to have sold between 1-1.1 million units on its first day in Japan, if this Kotaku report‘s to be believed.

The number apparently comes from a Square statement, but it’s not published in full or linked to over there.

The number doesn’t include the RPG’s Lightning Edition. More than 2 million copies of the game were shipped to Japanese retailers for launch.

1. Blerk

Boing!

For comparison, it looks like FFX did 1.9 million in its first week and FFXII did 1.8 million. So given the rather large difference in install-base, that appears to be ‘pretty good going’ for FFXIII.

2. Gekidami

Sells between 1 to 1.1 million? Well, yeah. :D

3. mington

Welcome back Mr Garratt, we misssed you (imagine being spoken by agent smith)

4. Jadeskye

I suspect the western launch week will double that.

5. Psychotext

Still on for 1.5m in the first week then… good stuff. Oh and Jadeskye, I doubt it. I don’t know of any Final Fantasy game that sold better in the West than in Japan.

6. Johnny Cullen

Jadeskye – No doubt it’ll sell well in the West, but it wont sell more then Japan anyways.

7. Jadeskye

i’d say purely based on insall base, theres a lot of xbox owners out there who want ff13 in addition to the ps3 owners.

You’re also talking about america and most of europe, some 800 million people. i’d say it has a fairly good chance of besting japan.

8. The Hindle

The question is how many bundles will the Ps3 sell, i think its somewhere in the 200k region i heard on N4g

9. Blerk

First week sales of FFXII for America and Europe combined didn’t break a million copies. I’ll be surprised if the Western version can do better than the Japanese version despite it appearing on an extra platform.

10. Johnny Cullen

RAAAAAAAGE!

Yes-Asia aren’t sending me FFXIII until Christmas Eve.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

11. Phoenixblight

Damn Day One! That some crazy shit right there. Damn Japanese and their facination with FF. I am jealous.

12. Gekidami

Jealous of what? that Japan is more interested in FF then the rest of the world or that Japan got the game?

13. Phoenixblight

The latter ofcourse.

14. Bleak Harvest

According to UPS, my little part of that 1.1 million will arrive sometime this afternoon. SUCK IT, CULLEN!

15. Johnny Cullen

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

16. Psychotext

Get him JC! Punch him in the knee!

17. scratchy69

But why import if you don’t speak/read Japanese? Especially with such a text heavy game? Where’s the enjoyment when you don’t know what’s going on?

18. DaMan

that’s behind both FFX and FFXII.

19. Johnny Cullen

*goes for the kneecap, punches*

… I think I broke my hand. :(

20. Patrick Garratt

I remember Paul Davies finishing Shenmue in Japanese. Hardcore.

21. Bleak Harvest

scratchy69: Just as well I speak Japanese, eh?

And don’t obey everything Psychotext says, Cullen. You’re stronger than that… even though your punches aren’t…

22. OlderGamer

I used to import some old TD, PSx, and Saturn games its not as tough to play as you might think. Most games are more predictable then we would like to admit.
    For what it is worth I think western FF will outsell JP FF. Games are far more hyped, previewed, and out there then they used to be. Stores like Gamestop make such a huge deal over preorders and up and coming game releases. I think a lot of folks are eyeing FF and they know when its coming. I bet it does well. I don’t think it sells game of the year well. But I bet it gets very close if not a little over JP numbers. I also think it falls off of a cliff sales wise after a month or two. But sell very strong out of the gate, this game will.

23. NoxNoctisUmbra

I am getting this game, AFTER a month of release date.. So my 1 copy number to the millions has to wait.