BioWare reveals the Engineer class for Mass Effect 2

Friday, 4th December 2009 19:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

me2

Mass Effect 2′s lead combat designer, Christina Norman, has spilled the beans on the game’s Engineer class to IGN, and told the site that the class is more “strategic” and less “brute force”.

“We wanted playing the engineer to have a unique feel to it,” Norman told the site. “We designed the Engineer to play as a more strategic, less brute force, class. Perhaps the most strategic move an Engineer can make is using his powers to gain strength in numbers via Combat Drone and AI Hack.

“Combat Drone is a new power that only Engineers get. When you summon a combat drone it will harass enemies, drawing fire away from you, and knocking enemies out of cover. Your combat drone can die, but you can summon a new one every few seconds. Smart engineers will make sure they always have a combat drone active on their side.

“AI Hack is a power that lets you take control of a mechanical enemy. We’ve improved hack from ME1. It’s now a true “charm” ability — hacked enemies will not turn on you even if you shoot them. Hack also puts a powerful defensive shield on the hacked target, which helps ensure your new pet will survive long enough to be useful. When your pet dies you can always hack a new one, as long as there are synthetic opponents available.

“With Combat Drone and AI Hack, plus his two squad mates, Engineers command a larger team than any other class. ”

There’s a video posted below the break of the Engineer being a bad ass. You should have a watch.

1. Phoenixblight

Forgot its friday. Chris said they would reveal the Engineer today.

Now all I have to do is Engineer + Adept = Sentinel

My first playthrough also my favorite class. Also I am glad they got rid of how the Engineer played from the first one with the “mines”

2. Kalain

Have a hankering to play the first one again… oh, end of Jan can’t come quickly enough ;)

3. Jadeskye

i booted up mass effect today to check out my saves. i don’t have an engineer save :(

But i got the choice of an adept, soldier and infiltrator. YAY!

4. Phoenixblight

@Jade

Devs stated in the forums we will be able to pick our class when we import our saves from ME 1. The thing that transfers from the save are the choices we make not the class. SO if you want to you can pick to play an engineer.

5. Jadeskye

awesome! thanks for that. i missed that tidbit of information. good thing you told me too, i probably would have found time to rush a playthrough or two between now and release.

6. Phoenixblight

I just found out last night. Was going through the forums and found that tidbit also Dev said we get special items for getting the Rich Achievement and Power Gamer. SO I have been replaying to get the two characters (Sentinel and Vanguard) I want up to snuff. Can’t wait for this game.

7. Jadeskye

hmmm well the rich achievement i would imagine translates to some kind of cash advancement in ME2, maybe you start out with some cash or people react differently to you because you’re so flush with moolah :p

Power gamer i’d say the same but XP.

8. Phoenixblight

WHatever they are I am replaying the game. :D

9. Jadeskye

I’m tempted but it might feel like work.

10. Phoenixblight

I have two level 58s and the RICH one I got on my first playthrough.

11. Jadeskye

i got a level 60 adept, i’m tempted to pass that one on to ME2 but she’s a mean lady with full renegade points >_>

12. The Hindle

Still cant believe i lost my save files for this, ive still got a level 38 playthrough though

13. Phoenixblight

“she’s a mean lady with full renegade points ”

Casey Hudson stated that we get benefits for being Renegade if you were previously renegade but other than that we can roll as being a Paragon.