Microsoft issues XBL permabans to illegit Forza 3, Borderlands players

Saturday, 17th October 2009 04:15 GMT By Nathan Grayson

borderlands1

DO NOT PIRATE VIDEOGAMES.

Ok, with that out of the way, here’s an after-school-special-friendly example of why pirating’s for suckers. See, if you somehow managed to nab an illegitimate early copy of Forza 3 or Borderlands, you’re cruising for an Xbox Live permaban.

You know, when you play a pre-release title on LIVE when I know you shouldn’t have it, it’s not hard for me to figure out,” tweeted Xbox Live Director of Policy and Enforcement Stephen Toulouse.

Now, if your retailer of choice merely broke the game’s street date, that’s another story. Toulouse explained:

Don’t worry folks, anyone who bought a copy early is ok. In general, if you got a receipt, play away. These are illegit copies we’re hitting.”

He said nothing, however, about people who stole either game from a retailer. Our guess? You scoundrels are probably in the clear. Well, online anyway. But the police probably won’t touch your precious Gamerscore. Probably.

1. theevilaires

LMAO, what about the PS3 loyalist who doesn’t give a shit about live, buys all 3rd party games on PS3, plays free online on PSN, but still has a 360 and pirates their exclusive.

LMAO beat that M$. You gonna send Major Nelson after them, LMAO. Admit it M$ you fucked up big time. You wanted to beat Sony out the gate so bad that you didn’t care what the long term repercussions were gonna be. Now you have the most systematic failure rated pirated console in history.

All because you put profits before your people.

2. ybfelix

“PS3 loyalist who doesn’t give a shit about live, buys all 3rd party games on PS3, plays free online on PSN, but still has a 360 and pirates their exclusive.”

They are still thieves, no excuse.

3. JonFE

@theevilaires:

I remember reading recent comments of yours regarding xbox fans trolling PS3 threads; still leading by example I see…

4. Bulk Slash

I’m about 99% certain this is just scare tactics from MS. Unless your DVD burner is making copies that aren’t identical to the original there is no way for them to tell if you have a pirated copy or an early release. I think their inability to actually prevent piracy on the 360 means they’re resorting to FUD to try and prevent it.

5. Gekidami

Well i know a couple of people who had ODST beat before it was out with pirate copies, they just didnt connect to XBL and used a different account. Now its out they play online with their pirate versions.

6. mescalineeyes

uhm, can someone link me to a source that specifically mentions borderlands? I have seen Forza 3 mentioned, but as 2K has not asked for my gamertag when they sent me the promo, I doubt they can “crack down” on Borderlands players, as there is no list of legitimate players to compare it to.

7. jnms

Oh, Mr Toulouse – the world is so black and white isn’t it.

8. ReeceHeywood

@mescalineeyes I wouldn’t worry, I’ve played loads of promo code weeks before release and never been asked for my gamertag.

9. theevilaires

hey Jonfe I own a xbox360 so I can damn well comment on 360 articles as I please. Now stickboy doesn’t own a PS3 so he’s the one trolling.

10. mescalineeyes

yes, I know, but for Forza 3 they asked people for their gamertags for this very reason.

11. Galactic_Barret

How do they tell the difference? There are so many variables. What if you lost the receipt? Got the game as an early present and it wasn’t included? Didn’t actually receive a receipt? How does this work exactly? Anyone know?

12. Psychotext

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did what they did before… released a detectable pirate copy of the game themselves. Not to mention that many of the DVD firmware hacks are detectable on a system level anyway.

13. cachucha

no.. well, so so

14. BeastModeYMOB

WOW LOL theevilaires your pretty funny dude. VG should let you post on here.

15. Enkeixpress

Nice one Microsoft, Keep ‘em coming! :)

16. OrphanageExplosion

Psychotext: No, the firmware hacks are not detectable system-side. Microsoft can detect badly ripped games, they absolutely cannot detect firmware-adjusted drives.

If they could, they could simply add in code to the games themselves to detect the hack and stop the game running. The Xbox 360 executables can’t be altered so the games couldn’t be patched.

17. Psychotext

Actually, they can… just most of them are better stealthed these days. It’s why they tend to ban in random waves so people can’t tell what’s been detected, or how.

You’re right about badly ripped games being the primary source of detection though.

18. OrphanageExplosion

The actual executables cannot be patched. This would require Microsoft’s private signing key which nobody has. If this was available, people would be able to run homebrew on unaltered Xboxes.

These Forza and the previous ODST bans were all done via IP.