August NPD: Wolfenstein sells 106k on all formats combined

Friday, 11th September 2009 11:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wolfenstein10

Raven’s Wolfenstein’s moved 106,000 units in the US, a combined figure for all formats, Gamespot reports.

Not the best. It’s worth noting that Raven laid off 30-35 staffers the day after the game shipped.

Still. It’s got the best German accents in any game ever. And we should be thankful for that.

1. Syrok

How can there be a “best German accent”? The German accent is horrible by default.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Rubbish game.

Btw Pat, FIFA 10 demo is on XBL now.

I’m DL’ing it as I type.

It’s also on PSN. I’m DL’ing it from there too y’know, mwahahahaa….

Just cos I can now, and all that.

3. Gekidami

No surprise really the game is better then it looks, but over all its still pretty sub-par.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Yes, just a few minutes later, I am now playing the FIFA 2010 demo on XBL

5. Patrick Garratt

Ta.

6. Patrick Garratt

Syrok – As in “comedy”. It’s the videogame version of ‘Allo ‘Allo.

7. JonFE

I’d like to get my hands on it, but its reviews have put me off – maybe once it hits the bargain bins.

8. blackdreamhunk

you want to know why it’s a flop. guesss why it’s a flop becaus e the games lead platform is guesss what a old consoles.

At this rate i predicted that ID software will be gone soon.

thank you vg247 I was wanting Wolfenstein’s numbers, to be honest I am not suprised at all.

9. Gekidami

How does a games lead development platform make a game flop when its a multiplat and came out on all platforms at the same time?

10. blackdreamhunk

In a nut shell the game is garbage. operatin flash point and all the cutting edge games will do alot better. The companies that are supporting cutting edge game play on the pc will replace epic games and Id software.

Intel will be aprt of that new future too.

11. Phoenixblight

@9 His logic is flawed no point in arguing with him unless you want to stoop to his level of logic.

12. blackdreamhunk

oh really we will seen when numbers come out agin. I was right about Wolfenstein.

I bet I will be right about operation flash point.

cryteck is basicly replacing epic games as we speak, or should I say they have.

Intel’s project will be a hot game too.

I know of 8 new cutting edge games coming to the pc.

13. JonFE

@BHD, I don’t want to burst your bubble, but Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is NOT PC exclusive:

I would not place that bet if I were you :D

14. Phoenixblight

Oh you hear that BDH thats your ego failing you?

15. Hunam

I thought it was a fun enough old school shooter. Muchly enjoyed it.

16. Artheval_Pe

ArmA II was the true sequel to the first Operation Flashpoint, and it is for now a PC exclusive (I don’t see this coming very soon to the consoles given the huge performances issues and bugs there are in this game).

As for Crytek, they are designing Crysis 2 with the consoles in mind. Maybe they’ll be able to bring the Crysis experience there, but there are limits (especially in terms of memory) that can’t be overcome. So even if CryEngine 3 looks great, I think they are going to end up like Epic Games in a few years, or even worse. Crysis was good because they basicly opened up the gameplay incredibly by getting rid of limits previously imposed by technical limitations. But as far as pure game design is concerned, they are not that good.

I do agree however that the consoles were a problem for Wolfenstein, for a simple marketing reason : Wolfenstein doesn’t ring a bell to console gamers, and PC gamers saw this as a console experience not worthy of the series they loved.

As for id Software… I’ve seen Rage at Gamescom, and damn, it looks like they are going to give a game design lesson to everyone out there. They managed to blend in seemlessly Driving, FPS and RPG elements in an incredibly elegant way. The concept is not very original, but the way they designed everything is so precise, so detailed that it looks very unique in its own way. There is an incredible amount of care put into the way everything looks, sounds and feels. Whereas it’s on the PC or on the consoles, I think that Rage is going to be an excellent game. I don’t know if it’s going to be a commercial success or not, but that game is looking great.