FFXIV: Tretton didn’t say “launch timing” exclusive at E3, says Tanaka

Thursday, 20th August 2009 15:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiv1

The words “launch timing” were “cut out” of SCEA boss Jack Tretton’s FFXIV exclusivity announcement FFXIV at E3, producer Hiromichi Tanaka told VG247 at GamesCom today.

“During the press conference, the ‘launch timing’ words were cut out of the comments, so the launch timing is going to be exclusive to PlayStation 3 as a console,” said the developer.

“Of course, we have a Windows version as well in that launch timing,” he said, adding: “PS3 and Windows are going to be at the same time.”

Own an Xbox 360? Want to play FFXIV? Don’t despair.

“That doesn’t mean that we’re not going to have a 360 [version] in the future, but at the launch timing, yes, it’s going to be Windows and PS3 only,” said Tanaka.

It’s out next year.

1. Psychotext

Shock, horror!

Oh wait, no. That’s indigestion.

2. Michael O'Connor

Sounds to me like these guys are just making this shit up as they go along.

3. theevilaires

hmmmm vista or ps3…vista or ps3…yea PS3!

4. Razor

And then at E3 next year, Wada will make an appearance in MS’s conference proclaiming FF14 is launching on 360 and PS3 at the same time.

5. theevilaires

lol no it will be FFXIII Verse. Wada is an asshole man.

6. Hunam

Hey, you pipe down, you pinched FF from ninty all those years ago!

7. Blerk

Judging from the video yesterday, PS3 owners are probably wishing they’d left “PS3″ off the list too.

8. Gadzooks!

Excellent news! I’ll hold off on getting the PC version and wait for a 360 version.

9. Psychotext

I have to ask Gadzooks… why would you want the 360 version (or any console version) over the PC one? Is your PC not that good?

10. Gadzooks!

@Psycho

Patching, crashing, config problems and hardware upgrades over the years have put me off, plus I am a programmer by day and the last thing I want to do is sort out PC problems when I get home.

I dont have the time, money or inclination to be a PC gamer.

Before I get flamed to Hades I’m not say PC gaming is shit, it’s just not something I enjoy.

11. Psychotext

Fair enough. I’ve been there.

I have mine hooked up to my TV now so it doesn’t feel like I never escape from being sat in front of a monitor. I still couldn’t imagine choosing to play an MMO on a console vs a PC though.

12. Will_Hunting

Tretton words were: “PS3 will be the only CONSOLE you’ll be able to play FF XIV on, WHEN IT LAUNCHES in 2010″.

He was very clever with that sentence, don’t blame him.

13. Psychotext

@Will_Hunting: His wording is why hardly anyone is surprised by this.

(Well, that and the later interview where he was called out on the exclusivity. ;) )