NOA’s Kaigler unsure why core titles are not doing well on Wii

Wednesday, 29th July 2009 15:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

denisekaigler

NOA’s Denise Kaigler has admitted she’s unsure why Wii titles like MadWorld and The Conduit along with other games aimed at the core audience are not selling at retail.

However, she said that she is hopeful that things will start picking up soon, and that Nintendo will continue to support core players as well as the casual.

“You know, I don’t know. It’s hard to say. It could be titles have the same type of sales curve that a lot of Nintendo titles have,” she told Wired. “A lot of Nintendo titles don’t follow that traditional sales curve where they launch big and then that’s it. Our titles have a long tail. They build in popularity, and this could be the case with MadWorld and The Conduit. I’ve played both. I’m not a core gamer, and I found that they were challenging and fun.

“We’re hopeful that the titles will catch on and that consumers who already have those games will spread the word and others will follow suit there. They’re deep experiences, and they’re very challenging titles, and we certainly like them. But it’s our hope that the games will pick up in popularity and they’ll continue to sell.

“We certainly want to make sure that we’re putting games on the market that casual and core alike enjoy. It’s certainly one of our primary areas of focus. And based on the popularity of the Wii, the Nintendo DS and DSi, that tells us we’re doing something right. As you know, we’ve got a very passionate fanbase out there – very vocal and very passionate, so they definitely tell us when they’re not happy. But the good thing is, they also tell us when they are happy. And we definitely got some really good response out of E3.

“They were certainly very happy with Metroid: Other M, and some of the other titles we announced at E3.”

Via CVG.

1. Blerk

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that she had to look up MadWorld and The Conduit on Google before she could answer that question? :-D

2. marilena

Let me give you an easy answer:

The Conduit is shit.

Mad World is a very unusual game that would have trouble selling on any platform.

It’s not like Okami & co are doing so great on the other consoles and Wii players are letting the side down by not buying Mad World.

Any more difficult questions?

3. SunKing

I like Denise, I really do, but with any Nintendo spokesperson all I hear coming out of their mouthes is, “Blah, blah, blah.” They always come off as disingenuous and condescending, especially when they start talking about the “core” gamer. Maybe it’s just me, though.

4. Johnny Cullen

Madworld is fucking awesome, I loved it.

The Conduit… emm. Well, its good, but I dont wanna say too much as I’m reviewing it.

5. Phoenixblight

Because the “core” gamers jumped ship during the Gamecube era

6. joshua nash

so she wants to know why “core” gamers aren’t getting madworld or the conduit, simple answer is a combination of what Sunking and Phoenixblight said, most of them jumped ship to another console cause nintendo started acting like condescending assholes

7. anasui

because they shifted their focus on casual games, created an audience, and now that audience doesn’t give a shit about core titles

8. MushroomStamp

Because Core Gamers don’t play on the Wii.. I have a Wii that is nothing but a dust magnet.

9. Dannybuoy

Because they have a pretty sugar sweet lady talking about their ‘core’ games. She is not core, she says so herself. Core gamers don’t want to hear pretty lady say “hey I’m not core but I played these games and they were fun”. Core gamers want to be spoken too by some one with a bit more panach, more agression, more truth and maybe a bit more don’t-give-a-shit-balls-to-the-wall attitude. Nintendo need to hire someone like Nathan Drake to speak to the dwindling core wii audience. Grow some balls nintendo! Don’t worry about offending your precious casual audience. Do something daring. Cause some convroversy! Repent before it’s too late!!!!

10. fearmonkey

I know 4 wii owners, none of them use it as a primary system, its mostly for parties, wife and kids.