IGN: We have a PS3 Slim “for real”

Saturday, 18th July 2009 22:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3102

Whoops. Either IGN’s “having a laugh” on the subject of PS3 Slim, or someone just made a rather large booboo.

Speaking in the latest Game Scoop! podcast, an IGN staffer appears to confirm the site has a PS3 Slim. The other speakers then say the console is “under wraps” and someone timestamps the recording to edit the comment out.

Guess someone forgot to make the cut. Either that or it’s all a “joke”.

Here’s the transcript:

“Because we have one for real.”

“Yeah, but that’s…”

“Yeah, but that’s under wraps.”

“Sorry, I wasn’t supposed to say that, was I?”

“We can edit that out. David can edit that out.”

“45 minutes. OK.”

You can listen to the clip at the link. Go from 45 minutes. The comment comes at 45.35.

We’ll ask IGN and Sony for comment on Monday.

1. ecu

Worst kept secret since.. well, PSP Go, I suppose.

2. No_PUDding

Wow… serious? What a fuck up haha.

3. No_PUDding

I don’t think that was serious at all…

They ahve been talking about having one before, in the room, but it’s so slim it’s 2D

4. Jonathan Cullen

It’s not as big as a fuck up compared to the PSP Go, considering that came from Sony.

Even still XD

5. Jadeskye

If this turns out to be real sony’s gonna sue the ass off of IGN.

6. Jonathan Cullen

It actually sounds like Greg Miller was joking.

I listened to it and sounded alot like it was a joke.

7. Jonathan Cullen

If it is real and Sony does something, I smell a blackballing coming.

And unlike Kotaku, I doubt they’d be able to wriggle out of that one.

8. doctorstrange

Sweet, nice find, not sure if its a joke or not, don’t really see why they would have one though

9. Jadeskye

@ Doctorstrange

Sony probably sent it to them instead of a dualshock 3.

10. haliotis81

Sony will change a lower cost new PS3 console but sell at the same price as before. Sony is always doing something like that. Bundling with new release game(MGS4) but selling at a higher price. They thought gamers are stupid to notice that.

11. DreamTwister

OMG VG247! It’s like, sooo real! Look! Someone took video of IGN staffers with the PS3 Slim! And they forgot to edit that too!!! OMG guyzz check it out!

/sarcasm

Come on 247… you ran the story which was obviously a joke? I don’t doubt that Sony has a hardware revision planned to release soon, most likely this PS3 slim, but seriously, this IGN “blunder” was just a passing joke.

That said, the likelihood of a backwards compatible PS3 Slim at a (hopefully) price drop sounds compelling.

12. XDamage

They have actually said in a previous Podcast Beyond that the PS3 Slim was in the podcast room with them. But like this newest podcast it was also meant as a joke. :)

13. reask

I reckon we will see one soon.
    Too many rumours for it not to be true.

14. No_PUDding

I like the WiiHD box in that cupboard room xD

I wonder how many people believe that video though?

15. Dannybuoy

It is real, I was in the room with them and everything. Oh no sorry I was in my front room with my ps3. My mistake

16. hitnrun

Sounds like a pretty typical podcast joke to me. I don’t listen to IGN’s because I can’t stand their editors but Gamespot and GiantBomb’s editors make cracks like that all the time.

EDIT: I don’t think the Slim idea adds up at all. That sounds like the sort of thing that would be released in 2012 nearer to the end of the PS3′s relevance. Sony’s pressing issue is the price of their console, and there’s a zero percent chance of that coming down any time soon if they re-engineered the hardware.

17. Cort

That a system refresh is coming there is no doubt – too many in the industry have given us a nudge and a wink for this rumour to be fake. What IS unclear is if we really have seen it in these “leaked” pictures and video. I hope not because it looks like a cheap Chinese knock-off to me.

18. hitnrun

So far the “winks and nudges” amount to some photoshopped boxes from China, a denial from Sony, and now a podcast joke.

EDIT: Of course there is no doubt it will happen eventually, because Sony does it to everything they manufacture, but there’s no real reason to think it will come this year as the rumors would have it.

19. Cort

^^ No they don’t. I am clearly referring to two separate things in my comment. 1) the hints from writers and developers and 2) the pictures of which I myself question the veracity.

20. anasui

this is one of these sneaky marketing stunts, kinda like them celebrities who call the paparazzi to take a snapshot of em getting laid or something

21. Cort

^^ That, or what the intelligence services call “interference”.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I am so sick of hearing about this damned PS3 slim. Fucking sound like a bunch of hens. Only thing people care about is if Sony’s dropping the price on PS3 gaming access. Slim, fatty, who gives a shit, you’re creating the exact advertising they want. Just wait for it and move on with your lives already. Christ.

*EDIT* (bad day…)

23. Dannybuoy

i love hearing about it… It makes no difference to me as I have a PS3 already and have no intention of buying a new one.