Microsoft signs TV deal with Canal +

Monday, 29th June 2009 13:20 GMT By Mike

canal1b

Microsoft has signed a deal with French TV and satellite network Canal +. The deal is similar to that signed with UK broadcaster Sky last month, meaning that French Xbox owners will also now be able to watch television through their 360′s without the need for a satellite dish or decoder.

According to MCV, “the partnership will initially focus on the on-demand services from Canal+, video-on-demand service Canalplay and specialist football channel Foot+.”

Reuters weighs in, adding that more than “3,000 films, premium dramas and soaps live and subsequently on demand, and French Ligue 1 soccer games.”

You’ll also be to use Xbox Live to reach friends via their avatars and chat during games.

It is also revealed that the deal will extend to other areas of the Canal Plus Group (Scandinavia please) and other Microsoft platforms.

1. Blerk

2. Psychotext

Astonishingly, it’s outselling the PS3 over there at the mo.

3. Mike

Over 1 mill. 360 owners, apparently.

4. G1GAHURTZ

I used to meet loads of french poeple on Live when I used to play a lot of Rainbow 6 Vegas. Maybe because it’s a Ubisoft game…

Now I mostly meet people from Sweden!

Apart the the Americans and Canadians, obviously…

But not many French these days.

Maybe they just don’t like COD.

5. ChrisPilote

Yeah, you would be amazed to learn that we even have electricity to run them. Though it appears we still miss something called “television” to fully use its capacities…it sounds pretty nifty to tell the truth.

6. LeD

“I’m sure the six or seven people in France who actually own 360s will be thrilled.”

You’re a bit wrong there mate. 360 is very successful now in France, after a somewhat shaky start. All the gamers I know own 360s, after waiting for Sony to release the PS3 and failing to bring it to an affordable price.

This could be big news in France, as many people want to watch Canal+ programmes but are put off by the monthly fees.

7. G1GAHURTZ

@ ChrisPilote:

I think that what Blerk meant to say that most French would have PS3′s and not 360′s, rather than that none of you are sophisticated enough to own a console.

8. ChrisPilote

@G1GAHURTZ : Don’t worry, I figured so. I was just kidding.

9. Blerk

Well colour me surprised. I always thought France was a Sony stronghold, like Spain. When did that change, then?

10. Psychotext

I think it changed when everywhere became a defacto Nintendo stronghold. :D

11. LeD

And when Sony repeatedly failed to bring out any game worth owning a PS3 for.

12. Blerk

Careful, Dil. :-D

13. Artheval_Pe

“I always thought France was a Sony stronghold, like Spain. When did that change, then?”
    It changed with the increase in marketing and advertisement for the 360, while the PS3 is still overpriced.

The main reason why France has been a Sony stronghold is because of the lack of marketing for the 360 and the fact that everyone owned a PS2. Most mainstream PS2 owners didn’t even heard about the Xbox 360, they just bought the PS3 because, well, it was a playstation and that’s where they played good games.

The 360 sales increased recently because Microsoft had a big marketing campaign for it in France in early 2009.