Iwata: Bringing HD to Wii would add no “significant meaning”

Friday, 5th June 2009 07:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

iwata

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said that adding HD compatibility to Wii would have no “significant meaning” for players.

“If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world,” the boss told VentureBeat.

“However, as far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time. What is the significant meaning to the users?

“I don’t think we should do it unless we find that reason. If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add.”

Iwata was speaking at E3 this week. Must-read. There’s a lovely quote there about why he still feels comfortable using a Mac in his presentations.

1. OrphanageExplosion

“Significant meaning” would be that Wii games, by and large, as they are right now, look bloody awful.

2. Dannybuoy

Lame reason. Nintendo need to grow up. I did that’s why I sold my wii [and got a PS3]. I had grown very tired of the sickly sweet graphics and themes of most wii games. I’m a self confessed graphics whore. I’m a designer by trade and I am centered around high end visuals. I demand a certain level of graphic quality and sorry Nontendo the wii just didn’t cut it. I’m sure I might be a minority and their new found fans the casual Market won’t agree. But I’d not consider buying a new nintendo platform until they get with the programme. I feel it might be many years until that happens. Oh well. Good luck Ninty. It’s been nice knowing you…

3. reinald

One has to agree with the fact that most Wii games look lame. But not every games… And since when good graphics make good games? I think there is room for improvement as far as wii game graphics quality is concerned and I think some developpers are indeed making progress (High Voltage, Redwood Shores Studio, to name a few). As long as a game is fun… I don’t care about graphics.

4. Blerk

I think he’s absolutely right. We might care about hi-def, but you can bet your bollocks that at least 95% of the Wii audience couldn’t give a shit – they’re completely happy with it the way it is.

By and large it’s only people who know and care about the 360 or PS3 that want a hi-def Wii. And surprise – they already have a hi-def console as well. Splitting and/or confusing your audience for the sake of a handful of moaning hardcore gamers would seem to be a remarkably stupid thing to do.

5. JPickford

I wouldn’t mind some sort of upscaler which made the Wii look decent on a HDTV. Obviously there’s no way the Wii is going to morph into a HD console.

The web brower would be brilliant in HD mind.

6. Gekidami

I think alot of early adopters would feel ripped off if Nintendo was to release a HD Wii now…

7. fearmonkey

He’s absolutely right. The hardcore Nintedo fans may want it, or hardcore gamers sitting on the fence whether to buy one may want it, but the average person that is buying the wii probably cannot program their universal remote, let alone care about HD.
    Nintendo has been selling like hot cakes, but it’s mostly due to the novelty of the wiimote. Alot of people bought one, use it when friends or family are over, and neglect it otherwise. I might be showing my age here, but it reminds me a bit of when Pong was new. Everyone bought a pong machine, played it for a bit, and thenonly brought it over when thy had company.
    I know 10 people now that own a Wii, they all own just the Nintendo made games, and it’s gathering dust most of the time.

8. Cort

I’ve switched on my Wii once this year. Better graphics will not have doubled that number.