Sony shows motion control tech, aiming for spring 2010 launch

Tuesday, 2nd June 2009 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps33

New motion control tech from Sony was talked about in the company’s E3 press conference today.

Been working on it for a few years, apparently. As you’d hope.

The prototype of the new controller showed a glowing sphere on the end of the stick. PS Eye tracks it.

The demonstration showed 1-to-1 motion control. On the screen, the controller became a racket in the guy’s hand, changing into various other bits and bobs, such as swords and guns.

It has true 3D pointing too, and if you change angles to the camera it’ll notice. In FPS mode, you can move and shoot but, will sometimes need buttons.

The ability to use two controllers is there as well, and with one in each hand you can play with building blocks, paint, use a sword and shield and fire virtual arrows.

When you move the camera follows you, should you drop down on one knee, or some such.

More information is promised from Sony soon.

1. Roybott

The question is when will this be out?

If it’s this holiday season it might have a chance but if it comes next (and if Natal comes then too), it’s going to be screwed.

2. Blerk

Not nearly as impressive as Microsoft’s tech, but just as interesting.

i.e. not at all. :-D

3. SilentLoner

This has a hell of less chance of being broken on release though in my opinion. The MS one was far too much bullshit for my liking

4. Cort

Spring 2010, didn’t he say?

And one hundred times more realistic than Natal. For a start, it’s real.

5. theevilaires

if sony says spring then bet your ass they mean fall

6. SilentLoner

More practical uses for normal games too

7. Mad-elph

Ya the fact that they showed it live on stage and said Spring 2010 means it’ll be fine.

It could prove to be much better than all those other peripheral shit piles cause it is only one thing, unlike Nintendo where you buy a steering wheel, a racket, a sword etc this emulates and shows it real and live. die plastic peripherals die!!!!!

I have yet to buy something other than a regular controller and a steering wheel with peddles and shifters and I hope to keep my house clean of that shit for some time still.

8. Gekidami

Well i think both this and Netal wont really attract that much of a crowd though i agree that the PS3 thing was alot more realistic, that first video of netal was nothing but dreams and wishes, if you look at the online version it says that ‘the features may vary in the final build’.

9. DarkElfa

The fan-bois are to the defense! The fact is that Sony probably feels quite sheepish after MS’s presentation.

10. Blerk

Didn’t everybody hate motion control last week? :-D

11. Gekidami

I still do. :D

12. theevilaires

i love these people who think that natal vid was cool. you know what else was cool. that big nice living room you don’t have.

13. Gekidami

I didnt think it was cool i thought it was fake and some what ripping the piss in effect.

14. Psychotext

I thought you weren’t poor TEA? You’re always going on about how everyone else is poor (those filthy xbots)… so surely you have a huge living room?

15. anasui

I’m quite happy this copy-paste tech in order to steal some casuals from Nintendo is happening, so now Sony fanboys will go against MS fanboys instead of both going against Nintendo

good times

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

motion control my pud wacker……who cares….

17. SniperWolf

thats fucking rad

18. theevilaires

you clearly missed my point psycho. what i meant is everyone doesn’t see the whole picture. for natal to be very effective mentally you have to be in right conditions. Most xbox owners are poor to middle class people who don’t have that type of living environment shown in the natal vid. All they see is the gimmick but the actual product will probably have to be set in a nice big well lit room.

can you imagine things as pets, little kids and other objects interfering with the motion censors. I didn’t mean to sound snot nose if thats what you think i was acting like. i may not need to worry about food,clothing,and shelter, but in this economy one wrong slip can send me under and back to the rags i was born in. Property taxes are kicking my ass too :P

My living room is 25′x20′ btw

19. Psychotext

I love it… you can put the boot in even when you’re trying to be reasonable. :D

20. theevilaires

what boot, explain your euro slang please

21. Psychotext

22. theevilaires

Are you referencing that to my poor to middle class statement? its true. Just because M$ advertise with these fake people who give two shits about video games shouldn’t blind you from the realism that the majority of gamers don’t have that dream gaming room we’ve all dreamed about.

Look at the noobs on youtube. Look at their gaming environment, the majority of xbox360 people still play on shitty 13″ sdtv’s in their limited space rooms.

ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfpBD7JLGU&feature=related

now picture his fat lard ass playing natal in that closet.

23. freedoms_stain

I’m not buying any motion control shit until it comes in glove form.