GDC: First CryEngine 3 movie released

Monday, 23rd March 2009 20:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crysisa

Crytek just put out the first demo movie of CryEngine 3, showing destructible environments, bullets causing water splashes, waving foliage and more.

It’s pretty. After the break. Looks like GDC’s kicking off to an early start.

1. Syrok

Ooh, very nice. Like how the leaves are effected by the rocket going through them.

PS: IGN have a very strange definition of Hi-res.

2. DarkElfa

The waterfall looked amazing, but we can hardly run the current cry engine.

3. MasterChiefFenix

truly beautiful

4. deftangel

This is their current-gen console engine right?

5. SticKboy

You can still tell it’s a videogame – I’m disappointed. Suppose we’ll just have to wait for real-time ray tracing for the next great leap forward.

6. ShiroGamer

consoles

not interested

7. Trivi4l

CryEngine 4 will have real-time ray tracing i bet.

8. Hunam

It’ both PC and Consoles, it’s about time consoles got a decent none UE3 engine on the market.

Depends wether it’s easy to build with and more importantly, if it runs well on the consoles.

9. wz

It’s not the kind of jaw-dropper CryEngine 2 was at the time, but still lovely.

10. ShiroGamer

its a bloody CE2 with some tweaks to fit the structure and the way of programming on consoles

and their dating grafix !!

OK,am so pissed ,any other comment I’ll post will make ppl hate me ,so I’ll stop…….

11. Hunam

Dating graphics? Crysis is still the best looking game made.

12. No_PUDding

To be honest need somethign other than this to see.

Video quality is like ass, and parts of it looks like UE3. The rest really doesn’t look that great either.

And it’s been consolified, all the bright colours are suddenly a bit more warm ad yellowy. I hate it.

And if that’s the framerate, and this is an engine demo, then the game will be incredibly average looking.

13. Hunam

The difference between CE3 and UE3 is that the lighting/god rays is real time on CE3 and not cheated, or drawn on like it is in UE3.

As I said, Crysis is still amazing looking on top settings, and sure the frame rate was a bit low in places but it’s a massively high end engine. Not sure if the quality of it’s console games will be, but any PC games made on it, especially by Crytek will look fantastic.

14. No_PUDding

Well, purely from what I just saw, I wasn’t wowed.

Maybe a bad tech demo.

15. ShiroGamer

meant the consoles’ ,Hunam

16. Hunam

@Shiro

Fair enough :)

@No_pud

Bad video is my guess, I thought the urban environments looked pretty fantastic, but I was squinting. Maybe a HD video will surface soon!

17. scuz

shame that every single crytek game has been rubbish

18. Hunam

calm blue ocean
    calm blue ocean
    calm blue ocean

19. deanimate

Hullo there, I am Mr Dolphin and I believe this blue ocean belongs to me. If you wish to use the term blue ocean then please contact me for further arrangements.

20. ecu

What the hell.. that looked phenomenal. Are you haters spoiled or just totally retarded?

Back when I was playing Quake III and System Shock II in 1999, I couldn’t have dreamed games would look this good, just 10 years later.

21. G1GAHURTZ

Underwhelming.

22. OrphanageExplosion

This is CryEngine2 upgraded and repurposed to work in a cross-platform environment. As a bonus, PC performance is greatly improved over Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

In short, it is very, very cool and something to be very excited about.

23. Blerk

I thought that looked awesome, especially the forest bit with the waterfall. What’s wrong with you people? :-D

That said, IGN’s video is crap. Hopefully GameTrailers will have a full HD download before long.

I guess this is what the Free Radical guys will be working with now, then?

24. G1GAHURTZ

Hmm… It’s a difficult one.

When CE2 was first shown, it seemed about 10 levels ahead of anything else. The fact that Crysis is still arguably a better looking game than the best that the consoles have to offer backs this up.

To me, and I’m only speaking from the vid embedded up there, this doesn’t seem to have made as much of a leap forward.

tbh, I was mainly interested in this as an example of what’s in store for consoles over the next few years…

But maybe it will be a bit more impressive in HD.

25. ecu

Just because it doesn’t look 10x better than CE2, doesn’t mean it looks bad. Nothing topped CE2, so what’s the problem?

26. endgame

i like it. the forest.. wow. as for the crysis, wtf ppl? i run that on medium on my desktop p4 at 3ghz with a 8600gt and on my notebook core2duo at 2 with a 9600gt mobile and it looks awesome. it also runs awesome. a slightly better pc should run high with no problems. i can run it on high on my notebook but it’s slugish sometimes. i really don’t understand ppl who say that they can’t run it at a decent framerate… there’s no engine out there as optimized as this one.