February NPD: 360 up 53% year-over-year, attach rate at 8.2, says Microsoft

Friday, 20th March 2009 18:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360logoa42

Microsoft’s finally done its bragging about last night’s NPD release.

According to February’s results, Microsoft has a 53 percent year-over-year spike in Xbox 360 sales with the console selling 391,000 units.

The company’s said February’s 53 percent year-on-year sales spike was due to competitive pricing and available software. Rather obviously.

Metacritic scores show that 135 Xbox 360 games score 80 or higher, with PS3 games only generating higher scores on 94 titles, claimed the firm.

Third-party sales on Xbox 360 raked in $162 million in February with users owning 8.2 titles each, thus leading Microsoft to claim the “highest attach rate among current-gen consoles”. Last month, the 360 attach rate was 8.1.

1. SERAPHEMZ

Blah…
    Didnt i just read the other day that only like 13% of 360 games scored 85 or higher while 38% scored less than that?

So from that 135 games 87 of them pretty much sucked.

I love they way Microsoft spins…

2. Psychotext

Games that score 80%-90% suck?

3. SERAPHEMZ

Not saying that for sure, ” pretty much “

4. Psychotext

Good news for you then… you’ve got access to about 20 games that “pretty much” don’t suck this gen (those that scored above 90%).

\o/

5. Psychotext

Oh, and just to show what an utterly retarded metric it is… a quick look on metacritic for the PS2 shows that only 3.3% of its games scored 90% or more.

Yeah…

6. Shatner

ilovethewayPTabitrarilydismissesnumbersthatdontsuithisgoalslol

7. Psychotext

Hello Mr Troll. What’s my goal here then? Other than to show that it’s a stupid metric, unless you thought the PS2 was shit for software?

Or perhaps you agree that games rated 80-90% pretty much suck?

Though I think out of all of the options it’s probably just more likely you’re here to pick a fight with a poster… given that’s what you do.

8. SERAPHEMZ

Mr Non Troll, those 87 games that i was rferring to were all rated below 85 %according to the article.

9. Shatner

namecallingmakesyousoundsoreasonableandrationallol

butidoenjoyhowyoudismissnumbersthatdontserveyourconclusionlol

themoreyoudoit,themorei’llpointitout.sorryifthatannoysyoulol

10. Psychotext

My apologies SERAPHEMZ, I just looked at the article you’re talking about. I’ll have a look at the equivalent numbers later (Metacritic is freaking out a bit).

11. Syrok

I’m disappointed that you rely on metacritic for that. I always had the image of you having every single piece of sales information etc. in several neatly stacked, alphabetically ordered files next to your desk.

:P

12. Psychotext

I’m away from my desk damnit! I’m naked without my stats spreadsheets. :(

13. SERAPHEMZ

Well both articles are based on Metacritic information. Apples to Apples.

Im sure his data is more accurtate.

14. Psychotext

I was being sarcastic Seraphemz. Anyway, just did the numbers quickly on Metacritic. I’m not going to spend ages like Edge did and remove special editions etc so obviously their data is much better… this is just an indication. Oh, and reading the article, apparently they didn’t use Metacritic anyway…

Games scoring 85% or above (percent of all games)
    PS2: 152 (7.8%)
    360: 59 (9.4%)
    PS3: 43 (12.5%)
    Wii: 16 (2.9%)

Games scoring 80% or above (percent of all games)
    PS2: 326 (16.6%)
    360: 136 (21.6%)
    PS3: 96 (28.0%)
    Wii: 43 (7.7%)

Games scoring 65% or below (percent of all games)
    PS2: 978 (50.0%)