Mass Effect 2 in 2010, PC and 360 only

Tuesday, 17th March 2009 17:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

masseffect5

Mass Effect 2 won’t release on PS3, BioWare just confirmed, with the game hitting PC and 360 only in “early” 2010.

“In this dark second chapter, Saren’s evil army of Geth soldiers has just been defeated, and humans, who are still struggling to make their mark on the galactic stage, are now faced with an even greater peril,” said the developer in a press release.

“We’re going to surpass the extraordinary gaming experience we brought our fans in Mass Effect by delivering intensified combat and expanded weapon options as well as increased depth of planet exploration, all while delivering a powerful, emotionally engaging story,” said BioWare head Ray Muzyka.

Cue fanboi madness.

Full thing after the break.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – March 17th, 2009 – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today officially announced Mass Effect™ 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the multi award-winning 2007 hit, Mass Effect. The Mass Effect trilogy is a masterful science fiction adventure set in a vast universe filled with dangerous alien life forms and mysterious uncharted planets. In this dark second chapter, Saren’s evil army of Geth soldiers has just been defeated, and humans, who are still struggling to make their mark on the galactic stage, are now faced with an even greater peril…

“We’re going to surpass the extraordinary gaming experience we brought our fans in Mass Effect by delivering intensified combat and expanded weapon options as well as increased depth of planet exploration, all while delivering a powerful, emotionally engaging story,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager and CEO, BioWare and General Manager and Vice President, EA. “Mass Effect 2 is shaping up to be an unforgettable RPG-shooter experience, taking players on a non-stop roller-coaster ride filled with stunning plot twists and no-holds-barred action.”

Mass Effect 2 is coming to PC and the Xbox 360 video game system in Early 2010. To see the exclusive new Mass Effect 2 teaser trailer check out the website here: www.masseffect.com.

1. No_PUDding

Wow… 2010…

All of a sudden Winter 2009 is looking empty.

Q4 is the new Q3.

2. BillyBatts

“…a non-stop roller-coaster ride filled with stunning plot twists and no-holds-barred action.”

Jeez, did they forget to run the cliché checker?

Wantwantwantwantwant though…

3. Mike

heh

4. mortiferus

I just hope planet exploration is improved substantially, since it was kinda lame in the first one.

5. SilentLoner

Shame on them for not making it on PS3, I cannot forsee why not?

6. DrunknMunky

Awesome news =)

7. Seraphemzs

That sucks that its not coming to the PS3.. I really liked the first one. I played that one at my bro’s house.

8. Patrick Garratt

I’ve mailed BioWare. We’ll see what they say. Nothing, I expect.

9. Xephon1970

Exclusively? Hmmm, it’s all in the wording…

No matter, I played the original on the 360, i’ll be doing the same with this one.

Why jump ship now or even get upset about it not appearing on the PS3? The world has not ended.

10. Jacee

Not much of a shock though Bioware has yet to show any inclination to make anything for PS3 don’t see why they would start now

11. endgame

bioware not making ps3 games, valve not making ps3 games.. anyone else?

12. SERAPHEMZ

Well since they are now owned by EA, one would think that it would go multiplat. I really want to play it, but i dont see getting a 360 for just one or two games. Alan Wake being the other.

Hope my PC can run the game…

13. Psychotext

Really, really enjoyed the first game. Looking forward to the sequel a lot.

14. No_PUDding

It really wasn’t my kind of game, but I am still upset I won’t get the chance to try the 2nd one, I doubt my friends will get the sequel.

15. Psychotext

By the time it’s out you’ll be able to get 360s free with your cereal. I can understand why it would physically pain you to have one around though. :P

16. Madgame

Multiplayer please.

17. Patrick Garratt

They just released a new piece of art. It’s going up in a sec.

18. Hunam

Who gives a fuck about art, give me screenshots!

19. deftangel

Wasn’t this supposed to be a triolgy as well? Longer hardware cycle confirmed!

20. SticKboy

I’d bet anybody a substantial sum that MS paid EA for this to be a platform exclusive at the 11th hour (which would explain the vagueness and confusion on this point up ’til now), and who could blame them? ME was an outstanding game and having the sequel as a X360 exclusive is a massive win for the platform.

Will it be an X360 exclusive forever? Well I for one don’t give a toss as I’ll be playing the heck out of it. However, I do feel kinda sorry for those gamers that’ll miss out on this stellar experience.

21. Blerk

Really surprised this isn’t multiplatform from the off! I wonder if EA will cobble together a port themselves, like they did for the Orange Box? That said… the often-rumoured PS3 version of Left4Dead never turned up, did it?

Anyway… awesomes! I loved the first game to pieces. Put a bit more effort into the engine this time, though – it ran like a dog last time out.

22. Johnny Cullen

Got the first game for 360, was always gonna get this for the 360.

23. endgame

have the pc version. runs great on my acer 7730g laptop (9600gt equipped). love it. it’s the best game i ever played. can’t wait for number 2. :)