Mass Effect 2: EA refuses to confirm PS3 version

Friday, 6th February 2009 20:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

masseffecta3

EA has refused to specify what company CEO John Riccitiello meant when he said that Mass Effect 2 was a “multi-format” title on Tuesday, yet again skirting heavy rumour that the sequel is heading to PS3.

“As John Riccitiello said on our earnings call this week, the game will come to multiple platforms, but we do not have any more details for you at this time,” a senior UK rep told VG247 today.

Speculation of a PS3 version for the 2010 sequel has been off the chart since Riccitiello’s comment in EA’s Q3 earnings call.

The original Mass Effect was a first-party affair and hence, obviously, a 360 console exclusive.

EA’s cagier on this than a mad lion… in a cage. We’ll know soon enough.

1. Alakratt

They just don’t wanna reveal anything right now since they wanna let the cat out of the bag in the next big gaming event, be it GDC or E3. If this wasn’t coming out for the PS3 they would’ve just said so right now.

Now, you have to think, why has N’Gai Croal said that it isn’t coming to the PS3, meanwhile EA does not want to confirm or deny a PS3 version. This is what happens when fanboys act like “journalists”.

2. Psychotext

I’m thinking you don’t know a whole lot about N’Gai…

3. Sanderson1

Ngai already got the word straight from his EA PR rep, PC/360 confirmed. They don’t want to acknowledge a PS3 version because there is likely a deal in place, and it will be a timed exclusive. Just like the situation with Bioshock. 2K Reps could not make any kind of acknowledgement until that timed window was up. If it was coming to all three believe me they would have said it. If I had to guess it will likely be a big reveal at E3 at Microsoft’s conference. Deals were in place before EA bought Bioware for the trilogy and those contracts do not simply go null and void because they were bought. With that said MS and EA likely worked out a deal after the transaction took place. I’ve read multiple sources on the latter point as well.

4. Patrick Garratt

Whichever way it goes it’s going to be a bomb when it drops. The “fans” are going fucking nuts over it.

5. El_MUERkO

official capcom guy earning his crust :D

6. Syrok

They are going to release part 1 to 3 on a single BD in 2010. :o)

7. loki

Too EA better PS3 when PC. More sales more money, no more lose

8. Mike

Just give me part 2, or some more DLC. Anything. Just give me something new.

Please?

9. JesteR

Just another Microsoft deal. Sad Sad.

10. OrphanageExplosion

Bearing in mind how ‘strained’ the 360 version is running the Unreal Engine in this guise, I can’t imagine that the PS3 version would be that pretty.

11. coookiie

I totally agree with sandersons comment… there not confirming for ps3 because MGS and EA/Bio are probably working out a deal.

12. No_PUDding

I totally agree with Orphanage Explosion.

The PS3 has proved how incapable it is with UE3, and Mass Effect on the 360 was a bundle of issues.

Doesn’t mean the PS3 is incapable in general, I’d just like to see those issues ironed out, when it comes to the PS3. It’s not like huge third party titles like this can be permanently kept exclusive when the actual IP isn’t owned by the first party.

And as the PC version shows, it’s not. It’s not between Bioware and Microsoft, it’s between Microsoft and EA. Who knows though, the more dodging of the question they are doing, the more suspicious and up in the air it sounds.

13. Mike

Remember that a lot of the issues in ME were cleared after the HD install. Perhaps if ME came with an install on PS3 it wouldn’t as bad?

Just a guess.

14. No_PUDding

Good point. And UE3 handling in general has improved over the course of the generation.

Still don’t think it would be a pretty game on PS3 xD

Hell the jaggies cut my eyes as soon as I see any UE3 game on PS3.

15. Gamoc

Hold on, I’ve played many games built on the Unreal Engine on my PS3 (including UT3) and I never had any problems with any of them. Where the hell are these reports of UE3 being so bad on PS3 coming from?

16. Psychotext

I think the point is that without exception the PS3 version of every multiplatform UE3 game is inferior in one way or another. Take a game which has already got serious performance issues and port it over and you’re going to end up with a mess.

17. endgame

first of all: loki stfu! u’r comments about the pc r useless as allways. i think that EA knows more about game publishing than a schmuck like u, who doesn’t even know when to use abreviation signs. pwnd! second: holy s**t! u guys just reminded me. mass effect runs on the unreal engine. in the past, i had problems running games that use this engine. allways on pc. i’m on my 5th run through the game, 1st run on this new acer 7730g laptop. and now it’s time to try some new laptop optimised drivers which worked out pretty well when i played rise of the argonauts. we’r talking about maxed out details here. that’s all. cheers!

18. Gamoc

endgame, for someone who’s just said ‘who doesn’t even know when to use abreviation signs’, you have the worst grammar I’ve seen short of leet speak.

19. No_PUDding

leetspeak is so naughties, we’re virtually in the tens.

Now we have roflcat talk. Liek dis.

Anyway, yeah most UE3 games are inferior on PS3. Not in one way or another, it’s ALWAYS aliasing/framerate issues.

20. Psychotext

I’m not allowed to talk about specifics, I get shouted at. :D

21. No_PUDding

Haha, well who said that? I hate vagueness, I can’t tell anyone they are wrong then.

22. Psychotext

Arguably I shouldn’t be commenting on the PS3 at all… filthy non PS3 owning xbot that I am.

23. Gamoc

Eh, I’ve never seen frame rate issues in the UE3 games I’ve played…

UT3 looked damn gorgeous.

24. No_PUDding

Yeah… there are some exceptions.

Aliaising issues are the only all-encompassing ones. 360 and PS3 alike.

25. endgame

one: i had some ocasional lock-ups from time to time in gears of war and ut3, and also in rise of the argonauts, but after i tried some optimised drivers from the laptopvideo2go forums i never had those problems anymore, and i could also play anything with my video options maxed out with no more slow downs. those were the issues that i had. two: seriously gamoc? i never though so. maybe you could email me my grammar mistakes. i’m not joking, i really want to know what my flaws r. thks.

26. Gamoc

“[1]seriously [1]gamoc? [1]i never though so. [1]maybe you could email me my grammar mistakes. [1]i’m not joking[3], i really want to know what my flaws [2]r. [2]thks.”

[1]Capital letter.
    [2]Missing letters.
    [3]Semi-colon.

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I think it’ll annoy you if I just take it seriously and correct your retarded grammar.

27. No_PUDding

Never assume Gamoc it makes an ass out of u and me.

He could eb genuinely stupid.

28. Psychotext

Oops. :D

29. No_PUDding

He could ‘ebb genuinely stupid’.

It’s a phrase.

30. Squa11

Anyways….
    Yeah very doubtful this will come to the PS3.

31. endgame

haha, yeah, ok, thks for pointing those out to me gamoc. I REALLY DIDN’T REALISE I’M NOT USING CAPITAL LETTERS WHEN I SHOULD HAVE. and the missing letter, and de semi-colon.. what is a semi-colon? ;p

just joking m8. ;)

32. Talal _ 911

Mass Effect 2 in a Ps3 !

Thats Great !!

33. Gamoc

M8? Based on my high school days, I’d say you’re talking about Math room number 8, in which you, sir, are a lunatic.