Uncharted 2: Among Thieves announcement trailer released [Updated]

Monday, 1st December 2008 23:55 GMT By Mike

uncharted2b1.jpg

Naughty Dog has released an Uncharted 2: Among Thieves announcement trailer, showing a beaten-up Nathan Drake wading through snow to recover some kind of artefact. And little else.

This very short teaser ends with the announcement that Uncharted 2 will get a world premiere at the 2008 Video Game Awards on Spike on December 14 at 9:00pm.

Update: To celebrate, GameInformer has put Nathan Drake all over the front cover of its January issue and released the following details:

Excited? We are.

Trailer after the break.

By Mike Bowden

1. XDamage

Oh hell yeah!!

From game informer: “Nathan Drake returns with a whole new adventure which revolves around the 13th century explorer Marco Polo and his voyages. The new PlayStation 3 title will add a free climbing mechanic and stealth gameplay. Players can also expect all-new locations, characters and a focus on the game’s story.”

Bring on 2009 and UC2: Among Thieves! :D

2. ecu

I really need to get around to playing the first one.

3. morriss

Best PS3 game to date by a country mile.

4. Johnny Cullen

Errr no Morriss, thats MGS4 =P

But it’s deffo one of the top 5 games released on the PS3 and probably the best 1st party title on the PS3 so far *pending Resistance 2 of course, haven’t finished it yet*

5. morriss

Nah! Uncharted was much more fun. It had character. :)

6. Gamoc

I’d go with MGS4 because I would gladly have sex with Hideo Kojima, but Uncharted was definitely truly superb. I’m excited. Sexually.

7. Psychotext

I can’t count how many ways that last post has disturbed me.

8. Rhythm

MGS4 was terrible – not a patch on MGS2 (my fave of the series by far).

Really looking forward to U2 – the first had a couple of problems but on the whole was extremely entertaining.

9. Smartypants

I loved Uncharted except for two things:
    -going through a lot of trouble to open doors/gates that according to the story haven’t been opened in centuries only to find a shitload of enemies inside shooting at you
    -despite the lighthearted 80s adventure movie-feel you’re forced into combat so many times that by the end of the game Nathan is a mass murderer having killed thousands.

Other than that, I loved the game and if the next one is more consistent and more about exploring, puzzle-solving, and platforming – and far less about combat – then it should be brilliant.

10. sennasnit

@Gamoc
    I’m with you on this one, I too am excited, not quite sexually, but nearly. Just finished the first one again to get the trophies, it’s a fantastic game…

11. David

lol at the talk of MGS4 being better than uncharted. MGS4 is like watching cricket and I put emphasis on the watching part since a big part of it is sitting watching cutscenes.

12. Blerk

Less shooting this time, please!

13. DrDamn

I thought Uncharted was ok but not astounding. It sat in a gaming style midpoint between Tomb Raider and Gears and didn’t come close to either in the crucial areas. The Tomb Raider aspects were superficial as it was always clear where to go and had little in terms of puzzles. That just relegated the climbing to just a different way to get from A to B. The gunplay was ok but fell into the wave after wave of seen it beforeness.

14. Syrok

But it did have a massive advantage over any other shooty game. It was set in a lush, colourfull and bright jungle for most of the game.

And there was at least one monkey in it. :)

15. DrDamn

A lush, colourful and bright jungle with framerate and tearing issues … :)

16. Syrok

I still prefer that over a dark and gritty city with perfect framerate an no tearing. :)

17. OrphanageExplosion

Uncharted had the perfect balance of non-interactive story (actually hiding level loading pretty well) and superb gameplay. With MGS4, the balance was all wrong. I buy games to play them, not to watch them.

The thing is, if you don’t watch them, you don’t have a clue what you’re doing, where you are or why.

18. morriss

I loved dark and gritty and bright and teary: although playing the game on 1080i eliminated a lot of the tearing anyway.

19. No_PUDding

Ahhh, thats why I didn’t have much tearing, I wondered what all the moaning was about. Thanks Morriss.

Mildly excited. The first WAS pretty awesome, but don’t do LESS shooting, do more and MORE exploration.

And make the animations better.

20. morriss

That’s ok. :)

21. SilentLoner

walking down stairs was like he shat himself