Abe’s Oddysee and Exoddus on Steam now

Thursday, 28th August 2008 19:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

oddworlda.jpg

According to this Shacknews story, Oddworld Inhabitant’s Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee and Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus are now up on Steam.

Each game sells for $9.99, with a two-game combo pack going for $14.99.

1. ecu

:O

Only yesterday I was scouting around looking for a place to buy the US PS1 versions of these for my PS3. I’ve had a real hankering to play them again, they were really brilliant games.

2. Psychotext

I’d kill for a remake of these.

3. wz

I remember playing this a lot with a friend, will buy ‘em both!

4. ecu

They don’t need remaking. They still look and play fantastically. (is that even a word?) :)

5. No_PUDding

OMFG!!! Exactly, this day has been awesome.

I am so happy, so happy.

Microsoft essentially killed off Oddworld inhabitants, yet another reason I put Microsoft in a ditch :(

6. Psychotext

Ecu: Artistically they look fine, but playing them in a high res doesn’t do them any favours.

No_PUD: How did MS kill Oddworld Inhabitants? They essentially paid for Munch’s Odyssey and Stranger’s Wrath (fantastic game btw).

7. Gekidami

The duo pack is ok but the singles are abit pricey for a game you can easily find for free by either download or PS1 emulation.
    I myself prefer to wait for a PSN version and play it on PSP.

8. ecu

It was EA that screwed them. They were publishing Stranger’s Wrath for the PS2 and Xbox. Oddworld Inhabitants eventually had to pull the PS2 version because the console wasn’t powerful enough, and EA protested because they were cutting off a huge portion of the market. EA then refused to spend any money promoting the game on the Xbox only, because they didn’t think it was worth it. So the story goes, anyway..

9. No_PUDding

Strangers Wrath is a GREAT game. Much’s Odyssey not so great.

That’s not how the story goes. Oddworld Inhabitants didn’t want it to be ported or PS2 as EA wanted it, so they went to Microsoft for money to fund the Xbox version (essentially cutting EA out of the picture apart from putting the game on the shelves).

Microsoft stopped funding and left the game high and dry mid development, without money to develop or a marketing campaign.

EA was out of the picture so they weren’t going to fund. It was put on the shelves as an Xbox exclusive without any marketing and failed commercially.

Essentially putting Oddowlrd Inhabitants out of business.

You can’t blame EA after it all fell through on Microsoft’s end of the deal. It certainly wasn’t them to put Oddworld Inhabitants out of business.

10. ecu

Then why did Oddworld Inhabitants entirely blame EA for the failure of the game? From your explanation, it’s completely Microsofts fault, yet Lorne Lanning totally blamed EA for everything that happened. EA couldn’t get the PS2 port running and thus decided not to promote the game.

And Oddworld Inhabitants didn’t go out of business, they just decided to pull out of the gaming industry because they didn’t like the way it was heading. Given the big budget nature of top titles now, I can see their point.

11. Psychotext

He doesn’t want to hear it ecu. :)

12. No_PUDding

When did Lanning ever blame EA entirely?

The reason I don’t think he did is becuase it’s not EA’s fault. I am sure Microsoft didn’t do it intentionally either, but it’s still a slip up.

And it certianly didn’t make them want to continue making games.

@Psychotext, seems a bit harsh. I do want to hear where this notion came from.

13. Psychotext

Here you go:

Yes, it was very critically acclaimed but it wasn’t advertised or marketed because Electronic Arts couldn’t get its PlayStation 2 port of our Xbox original to run and if EA isn’t on all SKUs, it just won’t promote the game.

I assume you still want to bury MS though.

14. No_PUDding

I am not just going to disappear, I will own up to this.

As far as I knew it Microsoft had left them high and dry and I had never heard this. Rather than EA doing it, it was Microsoft’s job. Lanning clearly knows something we don’t know though, unless he just wants to blame EA, which I doubt.

15. Psychotext

There are quite a few more interviews with the guy out there. Give them a read, it’s an interesting look into the pains of publishers, IP, development costs etc.

16. No_PUDding

I am sure. And even if some people think he’s a bit pretentious, I think an element of that is needed for and creative media in one way or another.

But I am sure you can tell I am not totally swayed, it takes two to tango. I still don’t understand why Microsoft did stop funding it.

17. jezebell

Guys, please. Enough about the who did what to whom and when. Do you ever actually talk about the games. Both Abe games are fab, Munch not so good and Strangers Wrath inbetween – bit too short for my liking. If you’ve never played them, you should and if you played them in the 90′s like me, then play them again.

18. No_PUDding

We already discussed the games. But we are discussing all thigns video game related 24/7.

So calm yourself.

Your opinions on the games are mine exactly. Although, I’d say Strangers Wrath was better than you put it. It was a return to form after Munch’s.

19. ecu

Stranger’s Wrath was amazing. One of the best games of the last generation, easily. And people forget just how bloody amazing it looked at the time, it was really quite special. The original two are still my favourites though. Tried playing the original on the PSP a few weeks ago, but it’s a game that really needs every button on the controller, including four shoulder buttons.

20. No_PUDding

It looked amazing, but everything looked amazing on the Xbox back then.

Damn, Chronicles of Riddick was a sight to behold. And a great game. Sorry to stray a bit, but did anyone play that? And Think Half life 2. Only to come to a level that was shockingly Portal-esque, before Portal was released?

Anyway. To be fair to Strangers Wrath it was caked in a year of awesomeness in terms of recognisable games. Proabably the best year in gaming since the millenium.

21. Daniel Plainview