Yakuza 2 for European release

Tuesday, 25th March 2008 15:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

yakuza2.jpg

Sega is to release Yakuza 2 in Europe, the publisher has just confirmed.

The PS2 title “will be available in stores throughout Europe during 2008,” according to a statement from the company.

“We are thrilled to treat the gamers in Europe to the sequel of the critically acclaimed Yakuza,” said Sega Europe marketing boss Gary Knight. “Yakuza 2 is one of the most requested Japanese titles in our portfolio and we’re delighted to finally announce a European version.”

Press release after the link.

EARN RESPECT IN THE DEFINITIVE JAPANESE STORY ABOUT HONOUR
Yakuza 2 Confirmed By SEGA Europe For A 2008 Release

LONDON (March 20th, 2008) –SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Yakuza 2™ will be hitting shelves in Europe during 2008 exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. The sequel to the critically acclaimed 3rd person action adventure Yakuza features enhanced combat, larger environments and a thrilling storyline continuing a year after Yakuza ended. Yakuza 2 will plunge players deeper into the world of Japan’s notorious underground organisation, where honour and respect are not earned easily.

Kazuma Kiryu, the protagonist of the first Yakuza, is named Fourth Chairman of the Tojo Clan but unexpectedly retires from life in the clan the same day. However, his personally chosen successor is assassinated by a former allied gang called the Omi. These events set in motion an engrossing storyline that sees Kazuma travelling through Japan, on what could be the last opportunity to stave off an all-out war between the Tojo and Omi clans.

“We are thrilled to treat the gamers in Europe to the sequel of the critically acclaimed Yakuza,” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe Ltd. “Yakuza 2 is one of the most requested Japanese titles in our portfolio and we’re delighted to finally announce a European version.”

Yakuza 2 will be available in stores throughout Europe during 2008 exclusively for PlayStation 2.

For more information on Yakuza 2 or other SEGA products, please visit www.sega-europe.com. For all SEGA assets for Yakuza 2 and all other SEGA titles, please visit www.sega-press.com.

1. Blerk

FUCKING GET IN!!!! \m/

2. Blerk

This is the best news all day. It might be the best news since last week.

Pat redeems himself against C&VG! Order is restored. I might very well have to hug Sega. Dang, now I feel dirty.

3. patlike

haha :D

4. Blerk

A Western release for Yakuza 3 would seem more likely now, too. Super super. Duper. Everyone should have Yakuza.

5. Zumi

“Yay, it’s good to see that even rubbish games make their way over here. :)”

:P

6. Blerk

Do I have to say “Hush, heathen” again? :-D

7. Razz

You’re getting ahead of yourself Blerk. Let’s see how well Yazuka 2 sells over here first mate.

8. patlike

Have you played them in Japanese? Are they properly good?

9. Razz

Blerk, I think you’re getting ahead of yourself. Let’s see how well Yazuka sells over here first before we start wondering if Y3 gets a release.

10. Blerk

No, I haven’t played 2 or 3, only the first game. But the first game was aces, ignore Zumi. ;-)

11. Shatner

Excellent news. The first Yakuza was great fun – if a little heavy on load-times.

12. patlike

Just asking them if I can put some questions over. Is there anything you want to know specifically?

13. Blerk

Japanese voices? 60hz mode? Release date? :-)

14. Zumi

@Blerk

Hehe, I only do it cause I don’t REALLY think they’re that bad. I’ve only played the first (and demo of #3), but I felt it should have been much better than what it was. Strangely, when everyone played the demo of #3 and thought it was rubbish, I thought it was really excellent.

15. Blerk

Actually I’d be interested to hear if they’re bothering to do an English dub at all. The last game had a fairly good and moderately star-studded cast but it didn’t sell very well. Could be an obvious money-saver to ditch the English voices.

16. patlike

OK. Hopefully they’ll have a European PM and they’ll be up for it. If it’s Japanese-only it might be tough. He should get back to me soon.

17. Blerk

Well, I surmise there’d be subtitles and English text. Just Japanese voiceovers. :-)

18. patlike

They just got back. He said to pass the questions over. I’ll mail him after I send the newsletter.

19. Blerk

Aces. Tell him I’m sorry for those things I said about Sonic. And the Dreamcast. Some of them, anyway.

20. Hero of Canton

YOU FUCKING BEAUTY. :D

Ha! I see Blerk got there first.

Amazing news. I’m well happy now.

21. patlike

Right. Here’s what I asked:

- Will the game be subtitled in European languages with the voices in Japanese, or will new voices be recorded?
    - Will there be a 60Hz mode?
    - Do you have a solid release date?
    - Aren’t you worried the game won’t do well? Wasn’t the release of the first game a bit of a damp squib in Europe?
    - Obviously, the fans are extremely excited about this, and are saying the fact you’re releasing the second game in Europe means there’s a much better chance of the third one making it to the west. Are they right?

22. Blerk

/checks watch

23. patlike

I might actually get mart to make a “questions” box for the homepage when he starts doing his dev stuff. Every time I send out a set of questions, they go up in the box with the date I sent them. Then everyone can see what I’m waiting on. And it should boot the PRs and devs to make things happen faster.

24. Blerk

You could have a little whip-crack sound effect if you click on it!

25. patlike