Nintendo will release Switch system update 6.0.0 next week to coincide with the launch of Switch Online. Users will have until then to unlink their Nintendo account from their Switch user account.
Switch system update 6.0.0 will go live September 18 at 5pm PT, 8pm ET, and September 19 at 1am BST, 2am CEST.
Those who own a Switch console will have until then to confirm their Nintendo Account (or their child’s) is linked to the correct user. After the update is installed, it will no longer be possible to unlink a Nintendo Account from the Nintendo Switch user account.
This is to ensure Nintendo Accounts are linked to the correct user in order to manage your save data, Nintendo Switch Online membership, and Nintendo eShop content.
Here’s how to check whether the accounts are liked:
- You can review under each user’s My Page > User Settings > Link Nintendo Account. Part of the Nintendo Account holder’s email and nickname will display.
- If you are not sure if the user is linked to the correct Nintendo Account, check the following:
- On the Nintendo Account website, sign in and select the Shop menu option on the left. Compare your current balance and total My Nintendo Gold Points with those on the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch system
- If you are still not sure, compare the digital software on your Nintendo Switch with your Purchase History on the Shop menu or check to see if you have received purchase confirmation emails.
How to Unlink Nintendo Account from Switch User Account
- Unlinking a Nintendo Account from a user account will remove the association to that local user account on the console, but it does not deactivate the console. For help deactivating the current console for a Nintendo Account (so you can make Nintendo eShop purchases on a different console), click here.
- If you unlink a Nintendo Account, software purchased with the account can no longer be played on the system.
- The Nintendo Account can only be unlinked through the Nintendo Switch console. If you no longer have access to the system, you can change your Nintendo Account password to make sure your account isn’t accessible on the previous system.
- Unlinking the Nintendo Account does not delete the Nintendo Account or associated purchases. The Nintendo Account will still be available, and can be re-linked to a user account in the future.
- Unlinking a Nintendo Account does not delete the user account on the system.
- Unlinking the Nintendo Account does not delete the save data on the system. The same user account can access the save data, regardless of whether the Nintendo Account is linked to it.
- The same Nintendo Account can be linked to more than one console at a time. You do not need to unlink your Nintendo Account before linking it to additional consoles.
Complete These Steps
- Select “System Settings” on the HOME Menu.
- Scroll down to highlight “Users,” then select the appropriate user account to access the Profile Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the settings and select “Unlink Nintendo Account.”
- Select “Confirm,” then “Unlink” to unlink the Nintendo Account.