Activision has announced Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure for the toy and game industries. This the is unannounced game mentioned during the financial call earlier in the week.
The game allows players to transport “real-world toys into virtual worlds of adventure through the Portal of Power.”
Toys “with brains” will basically come to life inside the game in “connection with multiple gaming platforms, as well as on handheld gaming devices, mobile devices and on the web, remembering achievements and level-ups wherever they go.”
“These are more than action figures. They are inter-action figures,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. “By pairing world class character design, world class video game design and world class story telling into one entertainment experience, we’ve given players a whole new genre that bridges the gap between the real and virtual worlds. From the first time a kid picked up a stick and pretended it was a sword, toys have unlocked kids’ imaginations.
“And how often have you wanted to bring those toys to life, to see them become animated and take them on an adventure? Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure does just that.”
The game is set to make it’s worldwide debut with demos available at the American International Toy Fair which takes place nest wee from February 13 – 16 in New York City.
Hollywood creative talents were brought in to help bring Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure to life such as creative director Paul Reiche, and Academy Award nominated writers of Toy Story Alek Sokolow and Joel Cohen. T
Here are some game features:
- Each Character Has its Own Unique Powers — In addition to the highly collectible design and personalities of the toys themselves, each character has different powers and abilities, opening different experiences inside the game. Players can drop in and out of each level with as many different characters as they like, making each players experience unique.
- Toys With Brains — Each toy/character remembers the player’s shared experiences. Achievements and leveled up capabilities earned in the game are embedded inside the toy and travel with the toy. Wherever the toy goes, its experiences go with it.
- Portal of Power — The Portal of Power serves as the gateway between our world and the amazing world of the characters in Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure.
- Play With Friends — By placing two characters on the Portal of Power at once, players can team up together for cooperative play, or face off in player versus player battle arenas utilizing their leveled up characters.
- Diverse Experiences on Diverse Devices — While the toys can be used with gaming consoles to play the disc based game, completely different gaming experiences await them on the mobile app and inside the Web World, each of which were designed specifically for those platforms. The result is a remarkable number of different gaming experiences in one game.
To support the launch of the game, Toys “R” Us stores worldwide will feature several Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure exclusives to support the game’s fall release.
Shots from the game as well as the toys are below. There’s a video too.