Xbox One August update adds remote purchases, automatic download

Friday, 18th July 2014 20:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Xbox One August update rolls out next week for those with early access to the system update, and among the new features added is the ability to purchase games and add-on content remotely using Xbox SmartGlass or through Xbox.com.

Once purchased, the content will automatically download the content if the Xbox One console is set to automatically take updates. This way, when you get home, the content should be waiting for you.

Other updates include a number of social features such as activity feed updates and an expanded friends area on Home. The friends list will also show how long since a friend has been online, and notes what game they were playing.

A low battery notification which lets you know when you controller battery is getting low is included, as is the ability to disable notifications during video.

An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One and OneGuide is being enabled in Austria, Brazil, Ireland and Mexico. There is also a OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.

You can read up on more details regarding the August update through Xbox Wire.

1. pukem0n

how is it the Xbox One has 3D bluray support before the PS4 does?
    isn’t bluray a Sony trademark, and didn’t they invent the fucking thing? speechless.

the other stuff is really nice to have and makes the console better and better every month :)

#1 2 months ago
  2. ManuOtaku

@pukem0n you know there is an old venezuelan saying, in the house of the blacksmith, wooden forks.

#2 2 months ago
  3. jonnymelamet

This is a good update for the social stuff also.

@ManuOtaku These Venezuelan sayings are awesome.

#3 2 months ago
  4. majormayhem70

3D Bluray. YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I own both consoles, but I have always said whichever console comes out with the 3D Bluray player first would be my official Bluray player. Xbox wins. Probably by a few weeks, cause Sony will all of a sudden remember that they “helped” create the damn feature. The ps3 has it, but the ps4 doesn’t?!? REALLY?!?!???

#4 2 months ago
  5. majormayhem70

@ManuOtaku Great saying. I’ll carry that one with me for life.

#5 2 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

@majormayhem70 thanks guys, appreciated.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Panthro

xbox burns bridges with fans to build stronger ones like these ones, major nelson is one of the last innnovators in tech and it really shows with the xbox one, I wouldnt be surprised if people use the feed more than facebook because I know I will.
    xbox is picking up pace now and soon will sell more than ps4 and all you idiots will tell me i was right like you should be now.
    talking to ps fans here by the way, not those pc steamfags since they are to far to be saved, i wouldnt trust someone who games on a pc, there are far to antisocial/dangerous/toxic to themselves and other people and it shows with those pathetic virtua boys.

#7 2 months ago
  8. bradk825

I love the remote download one. That means on a game’s launch day I can log in at work if I was too busy in the morning, and ensure it’ll be ready for me to play when I get home.

#8 2 months ago
  9. thesnowman

So glad that they enabled 3D Blu-Ray support. Been driving me nuts that I had to drag out my ps3 whenever I wanted to watch a 3d movie. Like others have said I actually thought the PS4 would have this first.

#9 2 months ago