The PS4 has been the US’s top-selling console for six months straight

Friday, 18th July 2014 00:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Xbox One’s $100 price cut may have doubled its sales, but the PS4 is still leading the pack.

ps4_vs_xbox_one

NPD June 2014

Hardware and total spend up.

Software down, accessories flat.

Watch Dogs top of the charts. Very strong performance from Mario Kart 8.

NPD May 2014.

NPD June 2013.

The NPD Group’s monthly US retail sales report for June confirms Sony’s announcement that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One yet again, giving it six consecutive months ahead of the Xbox One.

The report comes just one day after Microsoft announced that dropping both the Kinect and the price more than doubled Xbox One sales month-over-month.

Let’s just pause and think about that for a second. For about three weeks in June, Xbox One sales were more than double what they were in May – and the PS4 still sold more than the Xbox One. This is a strange new future indeed.

Actually, hardware is doing well across the board, jumping 106% year-on-year to $292.7 million.

Despite a 3% year-on-year dip in software sales to $286.8 million, and flat accessories at $156.9 million, the spike in hardware drove total industry spend to climb 24% year-on-year to $736.4 million.

“The 106% increase in hardware sales (vs. June 2013) was lifted entirely by console hardware sales, which were up by over 200 percent. The strong sales performance of console hardware helped to offset the declines seen in portable hardware,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said.

“Combined sales of Xbox One and PS4 are over 80% higher than the combined totals for Xbox 360 and PS3 – an indication of the strength of the start of this new console generation.”

Interestingly, while a couple of big new releases dominated the charts, the NPD said that new releases in June sold 67% less year-on-year, but games released across the whole of the quarter sold 47% more strongly. So in general game sales were strong, but Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8 didn’t capture audiences the way The Last of Us, Animal CrossingL New Leaf and Minecraft Xbox 360 did in June 2013.

In a press release which followed the PND’s report, Nintendo said Mario Kart sold 885,000 copies in its first five weeks.

Here’s the full top ten software chart.

1. Watch Dogs (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
  2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
  3. Minecraft (PS3, Xbox 360)
  4. EA Sports UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
  5. FIFA 14 (PS3, PS4, Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
  6. NBA 2K14 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
  7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
  8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
  9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
  10. Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3, Xbox 360)

Note that the NPD’s data does not include digital and other non-traditional game purchasing, so dips or soft growth in software and total industry spend are often less dire than they appear.

1. Legendaryboss

What’s next?

#1 2 months ago
  2. TheGreatWhiteHerd

The Halo package will definitely sell Xbox’s, i don’t the see the Xbox One doing better than the PS4 till then.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Dragon

NPD DATA:

Hardware

PS4: 269k
    XBO: 197k
    3DS: 152k (225k june 2013)
    Wii U: 140k
    360: 62k
    PS3: 42k
    Wii: 19k
    PSV: 15k
    NDS: 1k

Mario Kart 8 – 401k (retail); 470k (retail + digital); 885k LTD (retail + digital)
    Tomodachi Life – 138k (retail); 175k (retail + digital)
    Watch Dogs – PS4: 210k, 360: 154k, XBO: 137k, PS3: 117k
    EA Sports UFC – PS4: 160k, XBO: 118k
    Minecraft – 360: 151k, PS3: 144k

LTD numbers (retail only; doesn’t include bundles):

Wii Fit U – 48k
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – PS4: 179k, XBO: 99k
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – 285k
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – PS3: 139k, 360: 74k
    Tales of Symphonia Chronicles – 77k
    Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare – 360: 295k, XBO: 163k
    Titanfall – XBO: 1010k, 360: 614k
    inFAMOUS Second Son – 648k
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster – PS3: 276k
    South Park: The Stick of Truth – 360: 289k, PS3: 236k
    Dark Souls 2 – 360: 227k, PS3: 218k
    Watch Dogs – PS4: 793k, XBO: 500k, 360: 326k, PS3: 255k
    Mario Kart 8 – 753k

Beautiful numbers.
    Vita dead, wiiu ok, 3ds decreasing, x1 worrying (sold quite a lot less than ps4 even after price parity, IN USA of all places), ps4 dominating.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Doppleganger

Even with the higher PS4 sales numbers I bet you anything theres more hours spent playing Xbone than PS4.

#4 2 months ago
  5. The_Red

@Dragon
    I was gonna say a solid month with great numbers for PS4, XB1, Wii U and 3DS but then saw it was a 5 week month :(

(Though PS3 / 360 numbers are terrible which THANK GOD please let the last gen die and put an end to stupid cross gen games).

#5 2 months ago
  6. polygem

Vita is not dead. It adds value to the ps+ service and the ps brand in general. The vita makes sense for playstation as a brand despite its sales situation. Current sales don’t always reflect if a long term business decision will pay off at some point. Business needs to take risks in order to grow.

The kids on the Internet forget that way too often.

I also remember many of them dooming the 3DS before the u turn…They have been in denial ever since. People only misinterpreted their doom saying of course.

I think some will be surprised about the wiiu and nintendo in general. I think their business decisions have been spot on since the original wii and it will pay off for them in the long run.

The fan boy sales whores on the Internet have always been pathetic in my very honest opinion.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

More console owners = less playtime. Less console owners = more playtime. Okay whatever helps you I guess?

Thats nice, the problem is when you said “in my opinion.” You can’t beat facts with a insulting viewpoint.

#7 2 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Waiting to see whether the new consoles can do decent AI, eh? Me too! I’m very curious about that, and hoping for the best.

Sounds about right. The PSP helped out the PS3 a lot and vice versa. And considering that the Vita is about to get the Ratchet & Clank HD collection, I’m actually giving it some serious thought. I enjoy playing older generation console games (I really liked the Dreamcast/PS2 era), and I enjoy that even more sometimes on handhelds.

I agree with you about the fanboys, too. It’s like I keep saying, the platform isn’t the problem — as I own a PC, a PS3, and a 3DS, and I may end up owning a PS4 at some point down the line — the problem is with elitist pricks gather around their platform like a mindless herd and attack other people who don’t make the same choice that they did.

It’s fine to talk a platform up. Want me to do it? Okay, the PS3 had a lot of unique games which made it an interesting platform to me, not just backports from the PS2 era (though the Okami, Jak & Daxter, Sly, and Ratchet & Clank ports didn’t hurt), but stuff like LittleBigPlanet and flOwer, too. Sony actually has an investment in producing weird games that aren’t always mainstream, so the PS3 has an incredibly varied library. And they’re willing to put their money where their mouth is and continue with that trend, such as releasing a HD version of Grim Fandango for the PS4, but also not cock-blocking its PC release (which is good of them).

There’s been a sort of… thing with that. A carrier of the torch of weird console games. It was held by SEGA for a long time, and after the PSone era it got tossed around between SEGA, Sony, and Nintendo a lot as the Dreamcast, PS2, and GameCube all had their share of weird games. I feel that right now though that the niche console game torch is held by Sony. So… good for them!

I did that without insulting any other platform. I like the PS3. I like the PC better, I admit, but that’s because of the game jams, indies, progressiveness, mods, and so on that I’ve talked about elsewhere. That’s just a choice. It’s very much a personal preference thing. I enjoy the instant gratification of my PS3, sometimes, but I enjoy what my PC does more. So I like my PC, but I don’t like my PC so much that I hate other platforms. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Though I have came close to hating consoles because console owners can be such elitist pricks, they can be so Master Race, you know? But I have to keep reminding myself that the system isn’t the problem, it’s the system owner. It’s like how some car owners can be total douchebags, and some aren’t.

I came to VG24/7 with a very friendly, egalitarian feeling towards console owners, and I almost had that beaten out of me by the elitist pricks who tried to push various titles and attitudes onto me that didn’t belong. Why are they like that? I don’t know. An inferiority complex, maybe? Cognitive dissonance? I can’t say because I don’t personally know them.

But, yes, those fanboys are pathetic, and deserve whatever negativity they get. It’s incredibly hypocritical for #7 to snap back that way, frankly, when he and his have been arseholes to the owners of other systems for no good reason whatsoever.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

TheWulf has spoken.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

@Legendaryboss

yep, he has…

your “the wulf has spoken” oneliner is just another supercheap, tiresome and narrowminded mocking attempt. a cheap tactic the kids use it all the time on the internets. the insecure type. the ones that aren´t very clever. it tries to devalue the wulfs post. it is super arrogant. ugly too and unfair of course.

not something a mod should do really. in my opinion (lol).

like so often, it was actually a great, well thought out and reflected post from the wulf. if you´d take the time reading it. you´d find that out yourself.

did you read the wulfs post in the aliens article? it was a fantastic and interesting piece that actually added something to the pagge.

your oh dear, interesting, the wulf has spoken, whateves, oh god, facts? proof? oneliners only waters down every solid discussion. kills it. poisons it. that stuff doesn´t add anything to the page, the wulfs posts do…..even if you don´t enjoy the content. (i personally don´t think that you actually read them though).

you just know that others will +1 you because the wulf tends to get a hard time on here – completely undeserved btw.

you´re getting a boner for this, makes you feel superior i guess. in reality that´s not the case though unfortunately.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Dragon

@The_Red ,
    The numbers are still good overall, especially on hardware side. Software is helped by digital which unfortunately isn’t counted.

#11 2 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

Happy for the good numbers overall, especially wiiu.
    I do agree with poly and wulf, i think the vita can turn the tide, but it needs sony believing it and not throwing the towel, commit to it like nintendo is doing with the wiiu, and how they did with psp and PS3. Also open the device for unpropietary memory cards, or cut the prices and make a program that al the psp purchased physical games can be accesed for free on vita. With those i believe it will rise to the top alongside the PS4.

I Believe Wiiu and vita bring great value to gamers, sony dont throw the towel yet, show the same determination and resolve as with psp and PS3

#12 2 months ago
  13. Dragon

Pages like this makes me realise how some people will support others, despite them using not-so-good language, if they think they support the same console/company/whatever. Herd mentality at its finest.
    Also, its quite laughable how objective facts from real world data collected by a non-partisan independent body is treated as inferior by platform apologists using subjective opinions with no numbers (on a sales page!) based on *drumroll* personal bias
    Duh.

#13 2 months ago
  14. polygem

@Dragon

saying the vita is dead is not a fact son.

also, you don´t necessarily need “bad language” to act like a complete asshole, as has been proven a million times on this very page.

i don´t have a favourite company. never had? have you?

#14 2 months ago
  15. The_Red

@polygem
    Come on. Maybe Wii U is not but Vita is absolutely, positively, 100 percent dead outside Japan.

#15 2 months ago
  16. polygem

@The_Red

i am dead serious :D

sales don´t reflect the complete picture. they rarely do, especially not in a business like this where you have to plan in advance a lot in order to stay relevant and while you are planning you must have a good feeling for technological progresss. you must guess, look into the future, predict, take risks.

like i said, i believe that the vita is indeed very important for sony and helpful too. they will benefit from it even with the sales being down right now. dead serious about this. Holding on to the vita is the right thing to do, especially because they want to sell playstaion plus as a service to people.

they clearly (obviously) want to push this service as much as they can and they want it to grow. the vita just adds value to the brand as a whole and to this service in general, so in that sense it can pay off for them in the long run, even if the current sales don´t look so hot.
    sometimes you have to invest in the future.

you have to pay and invest in a future market which then could become profitable and essential for you – that´s the part many forget and in that sense the vita is anything but dead.

consumers might, at some point, realise that it is much better value for plus if you have a vita too. it clearly is actually no question about that.

then there is the promise of playstation now…so, all i am saying is that i would be very careful with calling these things dead.

there´s so much short sighted analysis on the internet. people looking at month by month sales thinking that this makes winners and losers, (ab)using these numbers to “prove” their conclusions as rational facts, while in fact it is only a fragment, a tiny puzzle piece that shows current sales, maybe a trend but nothing more.

i remember dragon calling the 3ds a dead system, the wiiu too…i just believe that it would make him look a bit naive if he´d be wrong a third time. so i just want to help here actually.

the games sector is so drastically changing these days and all the main manufacturers are trying different things right now, have to try new things. i personally believe that it is way too early to judge these new ideas as successes or failures. way too early. years too early.

#16 2 months ago
  17. ManuOtaku

@Dragon English is not my first language or second language, therefore sorry to all readers for all my grammar horrors, but i try to practice in order to improve it, a thing that i do commenting here, thanks for allowing me to do it, and sorry for the sore eyes grammar situation.

As For the lack of factual arguments, first iam not denying the vita/ Wiiu sales condition, they are poor, a fact suported by data. But that doesnt mean that condition will remain through all the lyfecycle of both consoles, saying that both consoles will continue selling bad numbers, is not a fact, and neither is saying it will be better, for the reasons i did put above. Both are opinions, believes that border predictions. So here we are making predictions, not establishing facts, both probabilities had an x % amount of being truth in the upcoming years, i mean it will keep doing bad, or it will do better, i prefer to go with the it will do better, because they are previous precedents in the industry.

Lastly, For herd mentality, i think thats the reason we all post here, because of the need to be part of a herd , this into some degree, some people more than others, this might be because we , humans, want to socialize and be part of a big commumity, in this case gaming vg community. So i dont understand why bringing this up on the internet( a means to be sociable).

#17 2 months ago
  18. Clupula

Has TheWulf ever not spoken, ad nauseum, about anything, ever?

#18 2 months ago