The new female Thor could come to Disney Infinity 2.0

Wednesday, 16th July 2014 02:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Now that Thor is a woman, that woman could make her way to Disney Infinity 2.0.

thor

Given that the new Thor has been in the works for a while, you may be asking why she’s not appearing in Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes when it releases in September.

Speaking to Polygon, executive producer John Vignocchi said it’s because Disney Infinity’s Thor is based on the Thor in the animated series Avengers Assemble – but that a change isn’t out of the question.

“Infinity being a platform that evolves over time, that certainly doesn’t rule out the possibility of creating a new version of Thor. Should there be a demand, we’d love to do that,” he said.

Vignocchi said Disney Infinity already includes a number of female characters, and that 45% of Disney Infinity players are female. The team works closely with Marvel, he added, and wants to keep pace.

“We want to stay contemporary with how they’re representing their most popular characters,” he said. “In the realm of Marvel you have characters evolving and changing constantly. Our intention is to evolve the game over time too.”

“You will definitely see characters represented on the platform in multiple ways beyond just a costume change,” he added.

If you missed the whole female Thor thing, Marvel announced overnight that the new Thor comic series kicking off in October will star a female version of the Thunder God.

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before,” writer Jason Aaron said.

“THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. THOR will be the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for super hero comic books in America: women and girls,” Marvel said in its announcement.

Those familiar with Marvel’s classic Thor mythology will understand that Mjölnir has found a new owner; those who are only familiar with the movies may be somewhat confused.

1. Darkfield

I hope they have a better explanation of that when the books than “The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription,”

It just doesn’t make an sense to me at the moment. I have no problem with the gender change, I just need more context currently there’s none.

#1 5 months ago
  2. TheWulf

Okay, I have to admit, that’s pretty rad.

But, on the other hand, the new Skylanders Trap Team has an ’80s hair metal (KISS, specifically) werewolf. Except he plays metal on a bone harp. There are so many levels of layered cheese there that I cannot resist it. And Toys for Bob are back on the job, so the mildly uninspired (at least by comparison) designs of Vicarious Visions are a thing of the past!

Wheeee. I can’t help it, I just really like what Toys for Bob are doing with this. More than that, I just really like Toys for Bob. They made Star Control II, this is a boon I will never forget.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Obernox

They gave her lipstick and boob armor :D

LOL

i still dig the character design.

#3 5 months ago
  4. silkvg247

@Darkfield “He” is the default descriptor for any unknown, though. Look at how everyone calls their God a “he”, even though you’d probably acknowledge gender is meaningless to a god.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Darkfield

@silkvg247 Well what I’m really curious about is what happened to the real Thor, the son of Odin, and who is she that is deemed worthy of wielding his power. The gender thing doesn’t bother me at all, if anything this sounds awesome, it’s the vague explanation that doesn’t make any sense to me. Gotta find the comic book series that leads to this point I guess.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Llewelyn_MT

To be honest “shall possess the power of Thor” is not the same thing as “shall become Thor”. Contrary to what they say, this is just a woman substitute for Thor after all. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, because it’s a nice plot twist, but she is not Thor. She does have his position, which is being “Thor”. And Thor is no longer Thor, just Thor.

It’s not really that complicated.

#6 5 months ago
  7. YoungZer0

@1: We had a frog and a space horse as Thor. I think we can live with a female Thor as well. As stupid as she looks.

#7 5 months ago
  8. felixbrownSLC

@TheWulf
    Way to stay on topic, Wulf. Don’t worry, Infinity hasn’t completely buried Skylanders yet.

#8 5 months ago
  9. thegrimmling

@YoungZer0 Beta Ray Bill had his own hammer, He did not wield Mjölnir.

The only way I can see them pulling this off is if she is from one of the other Earths, not associated with Earth 616.

But even with that, I was never sure if the other dimensions affected Asgard.

#9 5 months ago
  10. The_Red

The new design is freaking awesome. Having him replace the mainline Thor is a bit strange but why not? Deadpool is my fave but I wouldn’t mind if Lady Deadpool became the main / center character (Deadpool Corps FTW!).

#10 5 months ago
  11. Kreion

@The_Red
    She has fucking breast cups – the design is bad. No female character that you want to be taken seriously should have ‘armor’ which is dangerous to their health. It’s one of the least progressive things you can do to a character and it’s just stupid.

#11 5 months ago