Don’t assume that Doom 4 is awesome

Monday, 7th July 2014 09:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Doom 4 publisher Bethesda has warned against assuming that the new shooter is awesome just because of the series legacy. The company’s VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines has stressed that Doom needs to reinvent and prove itself all over again.

doom

The shooter will make a behind closed doors appearance at QuakeCon this year, but to tide you over until then you can check out the Doom 4 reveal trailer instead.

Speaking with MCV, Hines recalled how the Wolfenstein brand stumbled for a while before returning with a bang in Wolfenstein: The New Order. He effectively said that this needs to happen with Doom 4.

On Wolfenstein, Hines explained, “The last couple of games were either ‘ok’ or ‘not great’. It wasn’t a franchise where people were desperate for the next one. Wolfenstein isn’t Uncharted. We knew this would take some explaining. But developer Machine Games has now untarnished the IP.”

Then on Doom 4 he went on, “We view that similarly to Wolfenstein, because it’s been so long since the last Doom game. We are going in as if we need to prove ourselves all over again. We have no free passes. Nobody will assume this is going to be awesome.

“We are going to have to prove that this is something that’s going to be fun and different that you need to pay attention to. That has to be our default position, we can’t be: ‘It’s Doom, of course you’re going to play it’. But that just makes us work harder.”

What do you think Doom 4 needs to accomplish to return to form and capture the modern shooter mind-set? Or perhaps you feel it should stick to its old-school roots?

Let us know what you think below.

Via CVG.

1. Badumtsss

I doubt anyone is assuming that at this point. I’ll be happy if I’ll get Wolfenstein quality title.

#1 4 months ago
  2. foofly

It can’t really be worse than Doom3.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Logion

It’s good to hear that they are honest. I think that they should stick to the old-school roots if possible, try to make a modern take of the first Doom. I like to believe that even the younger generation have played and heard of Doom 1 and 2. If not, then I hope that they try to show for people that only have played Doom 3 that Doom 4 is new and different for them, introducing them to the old Doom that we knew in an appealing way.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Erthazus

New wolfenstein is not really great too.

For console players who never played good shooters or old Wolfenstein it can be something decent but for me who played really good shooters this is something that is ok at best. At best.

Broken stealth mechanics, crappy engine 30% of shooting 40% of broken stealth and aventure and 30% of bad cutscenes = New Order

#4 4 months ago
  5. Erthazus

To reinvent Doom you need better engine and not that Megatexture crap that does not work at all. Return the horror in to the game with decent level design and not what was in Doom 3.
    Better shooting mechanics and keep Health and Armor system.

Regeneration and “hiding behind the wall mechanic” should not be in the game and the game should not be scripted from start to finish.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Erthazus

and yes, it should be made for the PC first and on consoles later. Otherwise fuck this game and let the franchise die in the nearest purgatory.

#6 4 months ago
  7. silkvg247

Secret rooms. Lots of guns. Big silly guns. Absolutely no retarded “story” scenes with chainsaw torture.

#7 4 months ago
  8. TheWulf

If someone wants to make an old-style FPS, what we absolutely, positively do need is first person platforming. Now, I know for the contemporary audience of kiddywinkles out tehre, that’s a bad word. I get that. But back in the days of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and so on? There was loads of it.

Unreal Tourny had double jumps and stuff, too. I mean, I’d love to see some moving platforms and some obstacle courses and hazards to be able to get to a good power-up, that sort of thing. One of the things I love about Ratchet & Clank (especially Tools of Destruction/Crack in Time) is that it feels like an old PC shooter. Sure, it’s third person, but it does.

Platforming always required reflexes and timing, which were an imperative element of shooters back then. Even Portal had some of that, as a holdover, and I really miss it. Platforming was par the course, it was literally shooter du jour.

We lost platforms, we gained cover.
    We lost speed, we gained crouching.
    We lost craziness, we gained ironsights.

There was this shift toward glorified reality to appease a more mainstream, extroverted, dude-bro audience. So we left behind the fantastic space stations and wizard towers of the past, filled with environmental perils, to go and hide behind some conveniently placed rocks.

So, if they want to do Doom right… the information’s right there. Less conveniently placed rocks, more platforming craziness!

#8 4 months ago
  9. Erthazus

@TheWulf Unreal Tourney double jumps would not work for this game or maybe they would but Doom-esque atmosphere can be lost.

It must be an action old-schoool FPS game but at the same time it must have old horror elements in to it with moon base or Mars.. With zombie soldiers and demon’s. I really liked the mystery behind Doom but for some reason

guys at Id Fucked up it with Doom 3 and other games in their library.

#9 4 months ago
  10. CPC_RedDawn

As long as the levels are not linear like Doom 3, its not set in generic corridors, has some good pulse pounding musical beats, and bring new enemies not the same imps, soldiers, etc. If they tick most of these boxes I shall be sold.

It also HAS to be scary, people forget that the original Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom, scared the shit out of people remember no one had seen graphics like it before. 3D environments were extremely rare. Couple this with some great enemy design, great sounds, excellent gameplay it was tense back in the day.

Doom 4 needs to bring a solid 60fps experience, that truly gets under your skin, whilst also having those same epic Doom moments. I would HATE for this to turn into a yearly franchise, and I would hate for it be become a generic corridor shooter. The level design needs to be more in tune with the original games where there were tons of secrets, hidden places, many many ways to go.

#10 4 months ago
  11. TERMINATOR-SSD

nice to see some honestly in the gaming world for a change.

But i hope the game is much like Doom 1 and 2 tho, Hardcore gameplay, Fast, brutal mayhem. I want to see dual wielding of all weapons and rocket launchers lol. Basically i want to see the mod Brutal Doom in some ways.

#11 4 months ago
  12. thegrimmling

Your game is bad and you should feel bad too.

#12 4 months ago
  13. The_Red

I used to hate Doom 3 because it was nothing like Doom 1 and 2 (My fave FPS games of all time) but now, I am fully prepared to worship Doom 3 compared to whatever the **** Bethesda releases as Doom 4.

After they way Bethesda treated Carmack and other id employees while simultaneously sabotaging the awesome Prey 2, they have to come up with a miracle to save Doom 4 from being Doomed 4.

#13 4 months ago
  14. OrbitMonkey

Hey! I liked Doom 3! Fooking internet whingers.

#14 4 months ago
  15. JB

Lots of enemies, ammo and guns. No stealth sections at all. No sniper rifle. Big maps with a good and usefull map function.

The bodies must remain on floor after death. Make sure you can exploit enemies fighting eachother.

No cutscenes and no fucking QTE`s of any kind.

Fuck realism 100% – make sure levels are full of morphing terrain, anything can and will happen.

Remake all the classic maps from 1 and 2 sooner or later in new engine.

#15 4 months ago
  16. ManuOtaku

I do really hope they handle this game like wolfstein new order, great game. I think the developer will make a great job, with the id input of course, make it a combine work for this one.

#16 4 months ago
  17. polygem

Doom 4 gonna b AWESOME!

#17 4 months ago
  18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

If Carmack’s involved, I’m sure it’ll surpass our expectations.

#18 4 months ago
  19. OrbitMonkey

Set it in a post-apocalyptic environment, with armoured buggy combat & a leave us with a cliff hanger ending.

#19 4 months ago
  20. ManuOtaku

@OrbitMonkey that will enRAGE me.

#20 4 months ago
  21. cucabeludo

Stop complaining, you shit-eating dumb bastards(sorry about that).
    These are new times, just deal with it. Some things just can’t be like in the old days, it would be just stupid.
    These new generations bring some annoyances , yes.
    Complete scripted, linear, closed, short, non-challenging games with excessive of use of QTEs and shit.
    But people are complaining about stupid shit… Complaining how games are too realistic, or have too much story, and cut scenes… This is just… Stupid.
    And I THINK there are things that can’t be put in a game for technical issues. I’m not sure, but I think we can’t have giant maps with a fucking bunch of monsters(AND non disappearing bodies) and all that shit Doom had WITH good graphics, physics, effects and shit… It would be a 800gb big game (unfortunately)

#21 4 months ago
  22. fearmonkey

Doom 1 was all about being super powered among a horde of enemies, influenced by Ash from Evil Dead. You felt so powerful with the shotgun and chainsaw, you never felt weak, and it’s still fun to play the original, even better with mods.

Doom 3 was survival horror, as you were a weak space marine with great weapons but running around tight confined spaces, and death was around every corner. You weren’t really the badass you were in the original…at all.

All I want from Doom 4 is to have that gameplay from the original but modernized. I am not looking for Serious Sam or Painkiller, where the gameplay got old. I want the feeling of being so amazingly bad ass again, with big open levels (no corridors all the time), but with modern gameplay elements, tons of monsters on screen, and a truly great atmopshere.

I do not see why that cannot be done. We have enough Doom 3 style games out there, we don’t have anything like the original Doom games really. It needs multiplayer as well.
    And…it needs to be moddable, and allow the community the go at it.

There is a reason that after all this time, people still play Doom over Doom3, take note of that ID.

#22 4 months ago