Yoshida doesn’t understand why some gamers only want triple-A

Wednesday, 2nd July 2014 16:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida feels variety in the video game industry is paramount, and finds it difficult to understand how some consumers are only interested in triple-A titles.

no_mans_sky_e3_2014_4

Speaking with GI International after winning the Award of Honour at Barcelona’s Gamelab conference, Yoshida said while he worries at bit regarding consumer reaction to games which aren’t shooters – like LittleBigPlanet 3 – what’s “important is the variety” being offered in the market.

“We are concerned a little bit when we work on a game like LittleBigPlanet 3, because people want those big-budget, realistic, military shooters,” he said. “I was very happy to get a very positive reaction when we announced LittleBigPlanet 3. But there were lots of cheers, a lot of affection.

“And the reaction to Nintendo’s games in general, or a game like Splatoon. If you look at the whole industry, and you consider Nintendo, I think the balance is actually better than past years.”

Yoshida feels the balance between triple-A and great indie games is important, especially original indie concepts such as Resogun whcih was offered free to PlayStation Plus members “for a long time.”

“Not every PS Plus member downloaded it, and that’s a great, great game. That’s a key question for us,” he said. “I hear complaints [about the lack of AAA games]. I do realize that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don’t really understand those people. I don’t know if they’ve tried some of the indie games and decided they’re not interested.

“Maybe they haven’t even tried. That’s a key question. Almost every week you see an indie game coming out digitally on PS4. Some of them are really, really interesting, beautiful games.

“We’re fortunate that they’re creating games on PS4, and some of them are choosing to launch their console versions on PlayStation first.”

While Sony may have focused more on indies during E3 2013, last month there were plenty of triple-A titles on stage: Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Bloodborne, Destiny, Far Cry 4, GTA 5, MGS5: The Phantom Pain, The Division, The Order: 1886, and Uncharted 4 among others. So, the firm has not forgotten to support triple-A even if only two on that list are from Sony studios.

No Man’s Sky, the ambitious sandbox title from Hello Games, was one of the main indie games on display at the show. Other indies revealed were Let it Die, Magicka 2, Abzû and the lovely Entwined.

Hopefully, those who prefer triple-A can find some indie title on a Sony platform to try and like. There really are some gems available, and if you have a PS Plus sub, it doesn’t hurt to download a free indie. Do it while you slumber and give it a go sometime during the week when your buddies are too busy to play an online shooter with you.

1. thegrimmling

Why do People go to Micheal Bay films?

The same reason why some people only buy AAA games.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Dark

Some people prefer different types of experiences , it’s simple as that.

#2 4 months ago
  3. pukem0n

because AAA-titles are mass appealing, just like big movies.
    you are almost guaranteed to have an enjoyable experience.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

Well I’ll do. Most indies don’t have long term appeal or longevity, the fun wears off very fast.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Clupula

I actually find myself not really excited about the majority of Triple A titles. Yes, GTA, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War get me excited.

But Assassin’s Creed, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, and most other titles like that just don’t do it for me, at all. I’m much more excited for stuff like Persona 5, Tales of Xillia 2, and Ar no Surge.

But yeah, it is the Michael Bay thing, exactly. Some people just want to turn off their brains and watch the explodey. Nothing wrong with that. Just not what I’m into, for the most part.

#5 4 months ago
  6. BrahManDude

i like indie but most of the games are 2-D sidescrollers that have been done to death.

#6 4 months ago
  7. bradk825

That all depends on the quality of the indie game. Some of them pay for access to a decent engine and make a nice game, others don’t need that because it’s a fairly simple game but is fun anyway, and still others make a game that is basically a Contra clone and think we should all love it.

I’ve actually played a couple of great indie games thinking they were AAA and being surprised to find out they were not.

#7 4 months ago
  8. OmegaSlayer

Says the guy that didn’t backed up Bayonetta 2…

#8 4 months ago
  9. KAP

Are you lot above fuckin’ with me?

Yosp doesn’t want to get rid of your triple A games. He’s just saying to broaden your palette a little. The fact of the matter is where all joint at the hip, every gamer who comments on this industry and we all have opinions which is awesome but to say triple A games are more appealing in this day and age is insane when so many big triple A studios are shutting down and indie titles thrive.

Yosp, I fuckin’ luv u man. Big titles or small titles.. either one suits me fine, as long as there good.

*as I download the PS4 version of Guacamelee – One o the best games I have ever played and I’m happy to buy twice*

#9 4 months ago
  10. xxJPRACERxx

I don’t pay $500 for a new console/GPU that can do trillion operations per second to play games that look like 8-bit NES games. It’s like paying $300,000 for a Ferrari and never doing more than 10 km/h.

#10 4 months ago
  11. xxJPRACERxx

@xxJPRACERxx Sure gameplay > GFX, but I want all that power to be exploited, not wasted.

#11 4 months ago
  12. TheWulf

Wait, you’re comparing AAA fans with Michael Bay fans? Not inaccurate, but ouch, that’s a burn!

[...] you are almost guaranteed to have an enjoyable experience, if you’re a monotonous person who also enjoys a constant diet of hamburgers, ramen, and nothing else.

Bolded text added by me, to make a point.

A person who likes depth to their food, food that remains varied over a long period, food that you can even experiment with? They’d get bored of hamburgers and ramen in a week, because those are very shallow forms of food, there’s no depth to explore. So not everyone can do that.

Not everyone can go to Burger King or McDonalds and eat burgers every single day.

A big budget AAA title is like a big, juicy burger. It appeals to a specific kind of person, and they can eat burgers every day, throughout the year. An indie or small dev game is more like a salad, it has the genuine variety of depth in that it’s usually more experimental and you don’t feel like you’re eating the same thing all the time. You can mix it up and do other things with it.

If you’re just hankering for that next burger, or that next military kill-a-thon, then you’re probably a person who enjoys shallow repetition as opposed to depth.

And whilst that burger might taste good, or that game might seem enjoyable, it’s bad for you in the long run. AAA games teach you to exercise your individuality and self awareness less, they teach you to think less, and they turn you into brand zombies over time.

There’s only two possible outcomes with most AAA stuff.

1.) You turn into a brand zombie and you just chow down on every burger that comes your way, every day, without ever stopping until you have a heart attack.

2.) You get quickly fed up and rebel against it, seeking out better things instead, and refusing to fall into the role of brand zombie.

And, here, again… a fan of shallow repetition. Burger, after burger, after burger. Cramming them down your throat until you can’t cram any more. Because you can get a greater quantity of burgers than you can of quality food.

But I’ve always said that something of quality is of much more worth. If something is amusing in an intelligent way, engaging, and has some amount of intellectual and emotional worth, and tries to do new and interesting things? An hour of that is worth more than fifty hours of another military kill-a-thon that does exactly the same thing, all the time.

No, they’re not meant to have ‘lasting appeal,’ because what ‘lasting appeal’ means is essentially just soulless grind of levels or unlockables.

So, no, they don’t have that.

Instead, they have fun, and some of the best written stories, the most memorable characters. They’re the games that’ll leave a mark on you. A game doesn’t need fifty or sixty hours to do that. If it does, it’s doing something VERY wrong.

That just depends on where you’re looking.

To the Moon, Gone Home, Shelter, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior, Divinity: Original Sin, Secrets of Raetikon, McPixel, Thomas Was Alone, Lifeless Planet, Wasteland 2, Kentucky Route Zero, The Stanley Parable, Warframe, Shatter, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, The Swapper, Vessel, Nimbus, Deadlight, Waking Mars, Botanicula, Machinarium, Gemini Rue, The Blackwell series, Lume, Monster Loves You, …hell, even Tesla Effect, and I could go on like this.

If you think they’re all just retro side-scrollers, then you haven’t really played much indie. Or maybe you’ve just played XBLA indie, which… isn’t all that varied.

That’s simply another lie. Either that, or you’ve specifically limited your palette to XBLA and XBLIG games, which don’t have a great deal of variety. Look up some of the names above and see for yourself.

#12 4 months ago
  13. SuaveArmadillo

AAA games as a whole have no relation to Michael Bay films. The AAA games that are like MB films are usually licensed movie or show tie-ins that have simple mechanics, terrible storytelling, and a budget that would be better utilized by other AAA developers that don’t produce that kind of trash.

#13 4 months ago
  14. SuaveArmadillo

Also, it’s like movies, I go see big budget big spectacle movies in theaters. The lower budget movies that interest me I usually rent. On my consoles I buy high production value AAA games. For the lower budget stuff I wait for steam sales.

#14 4 months ago
  15. redwood

indies are innovating at a more rapid pace than AAA,s “fact” .. AAA’s have more moolah so their games look and feel more slick. “fact” .
    people like Micheal bay ‘s movies “fact”
    to summaries the summary of the summary > people are the problem

#15 4 months ago
  16. Rat

Well I like both and I enjoy indies as much as I enjoy SOME of the famous AAA titles .So I win. You AAA only kids are missing a lot of good stuff !

#16 4 months ago