Steam Greenlight fans are enthusiastic about Rock Simulator 2014

Thursday, 26th June 2014 02:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Steam Community members are a funny lot and their apparently burning need for a game about looking at rocks is only the latest manifestation of that.

rock_simulator_2014

Rock Simulator 2014 is a Steam Greenlight Concept which enables players to “watch beautiful rocks in any location in the world”.

The first development update reveals there’ll be a little more to the game than staring at rocks in “dozens of hand designed BEAUTIFUL environments”. Players can enjoy “mini games where you play as a rock, such as a rock tumbling down and hill and having you avoid obstacles”.

Yes, I think I understand. I also understand the perverse humour that pervades the gaming community – particularly on PC – and which has drawn significant attention to what you might have thought was a joke, or simply an amazing disaster waiting to happen

Since the project’s launch on June 22, Rock Simulator 2014 has attracted a five star rating from Steam Greenlight users, and is quite high up the concept page. The developer claims the project was “#69 on Greenlight” as of June 24 but I have suspicions about that particular number – especially as highlighting your position in the charts is an excellent way to attract press coverage.

Nevertheless it seems there is a hunger for rock simulation games. Although, as CVG Australia’s Shaun Prescott observed:

Excellent point, that man.

Thanks, PCGamer.

1. OrbitMonkey

PC gaming is buffet.

unfortunately so many PC gamers have picked at everything, their only frisson is when they stick the prawn-cocktail up their arse.

Hence this.

#1 3 months ago
  2. SN3AK

This is why we can’t have nice things.

#2 3 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Two things wrong with that, snacky.

1.) You could say this about literally any medium that respects and maintains its past. Obviously, though, you’re picking on PC so that’s something to conveniently forget. And I’m not sure if you actually read books, so you wouldn’t know that books have unlimited backwards compatibility!

2.) I’m not sure how this is a thrill, which is what the word frisson means in this context, it’s much more of a humorous intrigue. I think you either need to get your sense of humour updated, or your dictionary! Really, you should know what fancy words mean before indiscriminately using them.

I suppose that if you’re not particularly smart, though, your comment looks clever. Except the person reading it wouldn’t quite understand why that’s supposed to be, sans the intelligence to see what’s wrong with it. Anyone can write a clever sounding piece, George Bush used them all the time, but it takes effort and intellect to write something with genuine insight.

This is why I prefer a more introspective analysis in the people I enjoy reading, rather than the media pundit spiel you’re using here.

#3 3 months ago
  4. OrbitMonkey

^ two things.

1) I’m poking fun at the pc gamers, not the pc gaming medium.

2) Gamers who’d get a * thrill* out of this.

3) I’m not gud at maf

4) :)

#4 3 months ago
  5. eliseollobet

@4 You just proved right everything he said in just one comment…

#5 3 months ago