Wolves in The Witcher 3 are super hairy thanks to NVIDIA HairWorks

Wednesday, 25th June 2014 17:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt RED is making use of NVIDIA HairWorks to make characters and animals more life-like in The Witcher 3. For example, wolves contain approximately 200,000 strands of fur.

According to the video, artists have control over features such as waviness, clumping, density and more. The horse hair simulation in the game uses multiple collision volumes which permit “proper interaction” interaction with the long hair of the mane and tail.

Riley, the combat dog in Call of Duty: Ghosts, was also groomed using HairWorks, as were the wolves which attack you in the game.

Check out the video below.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt releases February 24 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Thanks, D’toid.

1. Erthazus

Don’t worry Xbox One and PS4. You won’t get this.

My wolfes will actually have hair now. :PPPPP

#1 6 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Such a waste of resources if this ends up taking ~10-20 of your 60fps. I hope we see next-gen AI soon, instead of all these minor details that will get lost in combat anyway.

#2 6 months ago
  3. bradk825

THANK GOD!!! I am so sick of bald wolves!

In all seriousness, any time games are progressing to more detail, it’s a good thing.

#3 6 months ago
  4. BrokenSpline

Pfft the last on my list for games is realistic hair especially at the cost of 10-30 frames just for turning it on.

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Aw. For a moment, I thought their wolves were some weird, alien thing…. but, no, just the complete unoriginality of earth wolves. Further, as a dog owner, I never could understand the desire to kill something that looks so much like a dog. That’s the thing I hated most about Fable III, so I always let my co-op partner handle that.

Dogs have brought me so much joy and happiness over the years, invariably so, whilst requiring only upkeep in return. I don’t think I could ever repay that sort of kindness, nor over such a long period.

I think I understand killing more realistic representations of dogs and wolves less than I understand the killing of people, due to their kindness.

Shame. They could have been original. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, et cetera.

#5 6 months ago
  6. ddtd

@TheWulf Wolves are vicious beast that kill for fun. Shoot on site.

#6 6 months ago
  7. dontbescaredhomie92

@5 Sighhh, it’s a game for fuck sake!

#7 6 months ago
  8. yeoung

@1: Why on earth are you addressing consoles? Also the fact that it’s Nvidia tech makes it seem kinda obvious, doesn’t it?

#8 6 months ago
  9. yeoung

Burning through engine draw calls like nobody’s business I’ll bet. I’d rather have a larger draw distance, larger res texmaps, contextual animations and more complex A.I, all of which add more to immersion as opposed to hair strands with col. detection. Hell I’d much prefer having vegetation consist of actual meshes than simple warped polygons. As stated above by Hcw87, these minor details get lost in combat while the same level of detail could make a world of difference in scenery/environmental design.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Tormenter

what a ridiculous thing to spend clock cycles on… Don’t Nvidea remember when AMD tried this tech?

It was shit then and it’s shit now..

Fucking Call of duty.. like I want anything I play then even tangentially connected to that… NOT a positive advertisement…

#10 6 months ago