Ryse 2 supposedly canned amid reports of Crytek financial troubles

Tuesday, 24 June 2014 17:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Following Cryek’s denials of financial trouble, anonymous sources close to the developer have confirmed there are indeed issues going on inside the studio and have caused the cancellation of a Ryse: Son of Rome follow-up.


Speaking under anonymity, ten current and former employees have told Kotaku, not only is Crytek missing payroll, and around 100 staff members leaving the firm since March 2014.

Multiple games have also been cancelled and work on prototypes for a Ryse sequel have ceased. The employees state Crytek is constantly reassuring employees all issues at the company will be fixed in the future, but checks are still being issued late.

One of the main complaints from staffers is the lack of communication between Crytek’s studios and higher-ups in Austin, Texas; Nottingham, UK; and Frankfurt, Germany among others.

The employees interviewed also said Cytek’s shift to making free-to-play games such as its new MOBA and Warface are also causing dissidence and financial issues within the company as a whole. One staffer even told Kotaku that Crytek’s Warface was only a hit in Russia and failed to garner interest elsewhere.

“Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry,” said a Crytek employee. “Except that each time we did, it was a little too late and we were running after our competitors. There’s no sense of identity at this point and I think that frustrates both employees and fans.”

There’s plenty more to read on the issue, so head over to Kotaku for the full report.

Homefront: The Revolution was announced as by Crytek during E3 earlier this month Has an open world shooter for Linux, Mac, PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One slated for 2015.