Yoshida explains why PS Vita will get less first-party games from now on

Thursday, 19th June 2014 12:59 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Vita will get less first-party titles out of Sony as its key appeal has shifted since launch, according to Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida.

ps_vita

Speaking with Polygon, Yoshida stressed that initially, the PS Vita was marketed to capitalise on its high-end portable visuals, but now that this is no longer attractive to consumers, a new approach is required.

“When we launched the Vita with Uncharted, it was amazing; PS3-like quality in your palm, but as time moved on, you are seeing PS4 quality and people’s expectations for the graphic fidelity has gone up,” he explained.

He praised the “indie boom” for bringing a wealth of new content to PS Vita, and said that in gameplay and mechanical terms, those titles are ideal for playing for 10-15 minutes while on the go.

“Instead of watching big stories or cinematics, you can spend hours on Vita,” he went on. “So, I think that’s actually the biggest star to help provide great content to Vita going forward. And we continue to make games cross-platform games, especially on digital side.”

When asked if this means there will be less first-party titles on PS Vita, Yoshida replied, “I would say, yes, that’s correct.”

Via CVG.

1. jos3moreira

OK, let me be the first: Fuck you Sony! And you to Mr Yoshida-san-whatever.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

So the most powerful handheld system to date will now focus on games that could easily run on last-gen tech? Okay then.

#2 6 months ago
  3. dsr

“Less”? How is this even possible?

#3 6 months ago
  4. CycloneFox

The western games are unimportant to me. As long as Freedom Wars and Gravity Rush 2 (Both big first-party games) are still coming, I’m all ok. The other bigger titles, I’m interested in, are mostly third party games.

It’s still sad to actually hear this from Yoshida himself.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

I wouldn’t get upset, it was over a long time ago, dead on the sales charts, dead in AAA games (killer apps) and now we have a confirmed future.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

@dsr Free to Play? They are “less” until you start splashing the cash.

#6 6 months ago
  7. SlayerGT

This doesn’t surprise me. What does is that the Vita doesn’t have a Gran Turismo..the only PS platform lacking one. It’s a bummer. But so is not getting a Tourist Trophy sequel. Unfortunately it all comes down to interest. There isn’t enough. I wish they’d take to kickstarter honestly. If they really feel they wouldn’t make their money back..

#7 6 months ago
  8. ManuOtaku

I think this is sad and a bit worrying for the hanheld console market, because it needs two strong devices, manufacturers, that drive each other through competition, nintendo alone, in this market cannot do it.

I really like my vita, alonside my 3DS, both complement each other really well, in tech and diversity of games. :’-).

#8 6 months ago
  9. Obernox

Meh, i’m satisfied with the 3rd party support.

NISA
    Xseed
    Aksys
    Namco
    Tecmo Koei
    Sega (imports obviously)
    Devolver Digital

Those companies are enough for me, but i do hope Sony doesn’t forget about Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush.

Those two IPs deserves to live on, regardless of platforms.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Gheritt White

I’m still planning ton get a PS Vita this Xmas if it gets bundled with the PS4. I only need about six good games for the system and there’s like at least 20 I’d be more than happy to play right now!

#10 6 months ago
  11. Clupula

Hopefully, this means less titles I don’t get to play because they’re marooned on a handheld instead of on a console, where I like playing.

#11 6 months ago
  12. CycloneFox

@Gheritt White: I’m so happy to hear from many people these days who plan to buy a vita in near future. I suppose part of it comes from the fact, that a lot of people have PS Plus and so automatically have a collection of Vita games, that gets larger each month without even owning the system for it.

You already said, you have plenty of games to choose from, already, but you should really try Gravity Rush, Uncharted (Just for the sake of the living room-console feeling in a train) Tearaway and most of all Persona 4 Golden,
    Also the Multi-platform titles like Rayman Origins/Legends or Dragons Crown look and play beautiful on it.
    And it is a great system to catch up old PSX or PSP games. I finally finished Trails in the Sky (PSP) and Xenogears (PSX) on it, where I would never have found the time to do so on the TV at home. Both of those games are really awesome and I would have missed them without the Vita (Or the PSP, of course). Instead of killing time on the train by playing stuff like candycrush, it is by far more fulfilling for me to play old JRPGs on the Vita. And I actually find it faster to get from sleep-mode into a game and back on it, than it is on a smartphone (Speaking about little time between two stations, etc.).

#12 6 months ago
  13. CycloneFox

@Clupula: If there are actually games you want to play on the console, but that are only available on the Vita, you can buy a Playstation TV. It only costs as much as two games and has a lot of benefits: It starts really fast, has a sleep mode, you can play music in the background while playing, the power consumption is extremely low, as there is no active cooler, it produces no sound, in formfactor and weight it is very portable. For what it does (PSX/PSP/Vita games, Music, Pictures, Videos, Streaming-Services) it’s actually far better than a PS4. Even though I already own a Vita, I will buy it for multimedia-purposes.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Rosseu

They have first party games for the vita that were good? lol. Focus on the PS4, it’s okay. 3rd party games for the vita are amazing anyway.

#14 6 months ago
  15. Clupula

Yeah, I plan on getting a PSTV.

#15 6 months ago
  16. jmg24bad

The vita is a awesome piece of tech. However they had priorities out of the gate wrong as hell. Jrpg’s etc in Japan like how Nintendo does

#16 6 months ago
  17. Gheritt White

@CycloneFox I want to get Gravity Rush and the Batman Arkham Origins side-scroller, plus any God of War games.

#17 6 months ago
  18. jon_

IndieStation Vita Confirmed!!!

#18 6 months ago
  19. dazedonthemoon

His comments are silly about people wanting PS4 graphics now instead of PS3 graphics on a handheld. Trust me anyone with a Vita is psyched to be able to play handhelds with PS3 level graphics. It’s still technically amazing. We aren’t jonesing for a PS4 handheld, we just want support for the amazing piece of tech that the vita is.

And I’m with Oberon, I don’t even play 1ST party games on Vita anyway, there’s already so many awesome Japanese 3rd party games that keep me busy for hours. So this news doesn’t hurt me specifically, though I would have liked to see the Vita become more popular for all gamers to enjoy.

#19 6 months ago
  20. JPickford

Fewer

#20 6 months ago
  21. gessekai

What? Just what?! Most bullshit I’ve heard all year. The truth is they’re relying on less first party support, because they can’t get any. People, including myself, didn’t buy a Vita to play Indie games, and they never will. Indie games haven’t shown signs of barely any sales, and you claim its all because of the demand of graphics? Fucking incredible.

#21 6 months ago