Far Cry 4: I shot an elephant in the ass and it felt like freedom

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 08:54 GMT By Matt Martin

Rampaging animals and high-powered machine guns. Don’t fight it, let Far Cry 4 amplify your inner asshole, says Matt Martin.

far-cry-4-e3 (3)

“The elephant was dead. I jumped in a nearby jeep and drove at it full pelt, launching the vehicle off its carcass and crashing into a guard.”

Far Cry 4 gave me three options for infiltrating an enemy base during my hands-on time with it at E3 2014. I can use stealth to sneak in and take the place using cunning and misdirection – but the weapon of choice is a crossbow, and what kind of person uses a crossbow? People who tortured pets when they were kids, that’s who.

Another option was to approach the place by air using the gyrocopter but I didn’t really feel that confident in what is basically a scooter with rotor blades. One lucky shot from the enemies on the ground and I’d be plummeting to earth for a reality check with dirt.

far-cry-4-e3 (6)

So I took advantage of what Ubisoft likes to call “weaponised animals”, a phrase that reminds me of that military programme where they strap bombs to dogs and send them under an enemy tank. This is Far Cry 4, let’s take advantage of something we don’t see in other first-person shooters.

So from the paddy field I can see that the settlement I need to liberate has high walls and a solid, locked front gate. I mounted the nearest elephant – a phrase I’ve never before written in my journalistic career – and trotted towards the base. With a click of the analogue stick I got my hairy-headed friend to charge right towards the wooden gates for a grand entrance. Surprise, motherfuckers!

It felt liberating, I felt powerful. I charged ahead towards the nearest guard and his assault rifle spat lead, but it was no effective defence against a tonne of meat. I saw him scream as the elephant stomped him to a pulp. Using the elephant to breech the building was more fun than those explosives you use in Call of Duty, but after riding his back and using a heavy machine gun to take down a few snipers on the rooftops, I realised I was a massive target. I dropped off the elephant and decided to use buildings and ample cover to tackle the rest of the level.

far-cry-4-e3 (1)

Stand around in Far Cry 4 and you’ll quickly become swamped by guards. Using cover and the verticality of buildings I managed to pop a few more guards in some tense fire-fights. These guys were using cover pretty effectively despite my onslaught and the situation got a little tougher when jeeps with mounted machine guns turned up applying more pressure.

Shit was getting chaotic, which is one of the defining features of the Far Cry games. Hurling grenades can set off a chain of explosions where your own hair-trigger thinking can backfire. I kept moving but my elephant friend was also on a rampage, crushing enemies with gay abandon. I was in just as much danger from him, so he had to go down. I kind of felt a little guilty but I filled the elephant full of lead and he went down like, well, an elephant that’s had 20-odd 50 calibre bullets pumped in to it.

far-cry-4-e3 (4)

The elephant was brown bread, but he still had his uses. I jumped in a nearby jeep and drove at it full pelt, launching the vehicle off its carcass and crashing into a guard and a brick wall. It wasn’t refined but it sure-as-hell was effective.

“People complained about Far Cry 3’s lead character being a stereotypical bro but I don‘t care because in real-life I’m a bit of an asshole too.”

The chaos continues with a helicopter flying into my own little fantasy warzone and I struggled to take it down. I hadn’t found anything bigger than the heavy machine gun so it took a lot of moving, sheltering under the overhang of buildings and plenty of luck. As it crashed to the ground the base was liberated and the exhilaration subsided.

I played Far Cry 3 last year to the point where I liberated all the bases on the second island in one long session. After about seven hours of solid play I thought I was going to have a seizure. My eye twitched, I had motion sickness and my bladder had gone numb. Picking up Far Cry 4 today I was back in that same place and loving it. Is Far Cry 4 just Far Cry 3 reskinned with snow and more mountains? Probably, hopefully.

far-cry-4-e3 (5)

I can’t think of a shooter that offers such madness in its quest for freedom. You can call me a dick for killing an elephant deliberately and then using its body as a launch ramp but these are the options. The developers have put this in the game and you use it as you like.

People complained about Far Cry 3’s lead character being a stereotypical bro but I don‘t care because in real-life I’m a bit of an asshole too. Far Cry 4 amplified that and it felt like freedom to me.

1. LisciousOne

Can’t wait for this game

#1 3 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

Hooray for hunting endangered species with explosives and heavy weapons.

#2 3 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

They actually stopped weaponizing dogs with explosives once they realized that the dogs couldn’t distinguish between ally and enemy tanks. Fun times that must have been.

#3 3 months ago
  4. undermyrules

@AmiralPatate its a game….if you take it too seriously then games are not for you.

#4 3 months ago
  5. lama

hunting is for losers..

#5 3 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Gotta kill all the shit, eh Matt? As far as the VG24/7 crew goes, I think you’re the only one I may not like. Sensationalist headlines, unimaginative clickbait, extroverted views, and a general air of anti-intellectualism to boot. It almost feels like you’d be better off writing for the Daily Mail? :P

You just remind me of Rock, Paper, Shotgun writers in a particularly bad way. Like you’re trying to wind up your audience rather than actually present news to them, but that’s just my opinion. I’m not much for op-ed pieces, anyway, because unless they’re genuinely insightful, presenting unusual views and perspectives, they don’t really have any purpose. Indeed, a lot of op-ed pieces feel trashy. And that’s across the Internet, including various newspapers to boot.

I think that’s why newspapers like The Guardian put their most intelligent writers on their op-ed pieces, just so they don’t fall into that pit trap. Either that, or they put some of their best higher-brow comedians on the job, which also works. But this? This is truly Daily Mail quality writing.

You shot an elephant in the arse and it felt like freedom?

Really Matt? Really? >_>

#6 3 months ago
  7. AmiralPatate

@undermyrules
    I fail to see where I take it seriously by saying hunting white tiger with an RPG is fun as hell.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

Well, there you have it Matt. TheWulf clicked on your ‘clickbait’ article so that he could tell you the pointlessness of your existence.

Yeah. That’ll learn ya.

JM

#8 3 months ago
  9. Bomba Luigi

Peta will love this Game

#9 3 months ago
  10. KAP

Videogames? ;-/

#10 3 months ago
  11. polygem

Game looks like a boring mess. What has been sold as fun in the article sounds like the game plays like it looks.

#5 +1 cowards they are too.

#11 3 months ago
  12. eTitan

@TheWulf It’s a great article, probably the best I’ve read on here for a while. Your problem is that nobody on here likes you and you write essays for pretty much everything that is news, no matter how big of a deal the news really are.

#12 3 months ago
  13. polygem

Nothing wrong with wulfs post. This is not mein kampf. People can criticize stuff and to be fair, the article openly invited to exactly do just that by the style it has been written. Not here to judge that though.

#13 3 months ago
  14. dontbescaredhomie92

I’m coming to the point of not even bothering reading the article when I see this guy’s name, passing off his thoughts and gripes as fact, this isn’t your blog mate!
    You’re overbearingly opinionated and I get the impression a shameless Sony fanboy to boot, which really complement this apparently impartial gaming news site.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Joe Musashi

Invoking Godwin’s Law. Classy.

JM

#15 3 months ago
  16. dontbescaredhomie92

@Joe Musashi Aren’t you a clever one…

#16 3 months ago
  17. RocknRolla

Amazing! Can´t wait :)

#17 3 months ago
  18. YoungZer0

@dontbescaredhomie92

Leave it. This guy has obviously been way too long in his tumblr bubble. Don’t expect any reaction from him, he’s too afraid to actually have his comments be questioned. I’ve never seen a person this vile and angry and anti-social.

#18 3 months ago
  19. dontbescaredhomie92

@YoungZer0 Is this relating to “JM” or this awful Matt Martin, suppose it goes both ways, shame with the article, pre refresh this was my favourite gaming news website.

#19 3 months ago
  20. majicship

Great article Matt. It’s about time that games journalism lost some of its pious righteousness and finally just got on with the job of telling it like it is. Games are for playing and having fun. Internet journalism is a brave new world, and I know that it’s a whole lot easier to pick up new readers if those commenting about your writing feel they would prefer to seek intellectualism elsewhere. Fuck ‘em if they don’t like it. They can go someplace else. It’s not a private members club.

#20 3 months ago
  21. YoungZer0

@dontbescaredhomie92

I was talking about Wulf.

#21 3 months ago