Deus Ex Universe logo appears ahead of E3 2014

Monday, 9th June 2014 09:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Deus Ex Universe appears to be gaining traction, according to a logo that allegedly came out of an EU trademark database. Last year, the name was officially given to the next wave of Deus Ex experience by developer Eidos Montreal, as reported by Eurogamer.

It was tweeted out by AGB today and looks like this:

deus_ex_universe_logo

I’ve taken the liberty of making this, so you don’t have to:

deus ex link zelda

Does this suggest a new Deus Ex reveal at E3 2014? Back in March we reported on a Square Enix trademark for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but the publisher has yet to formally announce anything with that name.

We’ll be watching E3 2014 like a hawk to see if anything emerges. Stay tuned.

1. Joe Musashi

Tri-Triforce.

JM

#1 3 months ago
  2. salarta

So, how long until they’re sued by Nintendo?

#2 3 months ago
  3. mamu-ti

Yesssssssssssssssssss

#3 3 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

Didn’t you guys know? Deus Ex is the spiritual sequel to Skyward Sword.

#4 3 months ago
  5. The_Red

If it’s the “connected” experience pseudo MMO thing that they’ve been talking about, they should shove it up their asses and go back to making bad Deus Ex games for mobile.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Obernox

OMGOMGOMGOMG Deus Ex HR was fucking excellent.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Edo

@mamu-ti
    Your nickname…I like it.

#7 3 months ago
  8. karma

It suggests another crappy F2P online only title to me.

Nothing I hate more than when Publishers / Developers take a a beloved, traditional offline single player focussed game and rebrands it into a monetised milking online IP.

Consider me uninterested.

Really I hope i’m wrong though. I love the Deus Ex IP. :(

#8 3 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Human Revolution was the best thing that EIDOS has made in years, possibly within the last decade, but I’m too lazy to check right now. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case, though. Of course, it probably didn’t sell as well as it could have since a lot of the Internet throwback from it (that wasn’t about the bosses, which I agreed with) tended to suggest that the average person just didn’t get it.

This is what happens when you try to introduce a high-brow ideal like transhumanism to the low-brow, extroverted masses. Most abruptly chose to destroy the technology, of course, like good little Neo-Luddites. I saw many people talking about how they played Adam as someone who felt raped by the experience. Personally, my Adam loved it to bits. He was functionally superior, now, with body parts that are easier to maintain.

Sarif very much had the right idea. He wanted to be able to provide transhumanism to anyone who wanted it — it wasn’t about the money, it was about taking evolution into our own hands. The purpose of our existence is to build things which are better than us. Nature has us cranking out babies, but clearly that’s not working, because the average human being is still woefully unaware, superficial, unambitious, and unintelligent.

I keep pointing out that the average human fantasy is that of big houses, fast cars, and hot partners. That’s what proves to me ultimately that evolution just isn’t working any more. But I’m getting off track here with my digression. The thing is is that the average extrovert believes in God and Nature (as opposed to nature), and anything that we do is an abomination.

There’s a saying I like: When you were born, anything that already exists within the world is part of the natural order. In your formative years, anything new is exciting and exotic. As you approach young adulthood, changes to the status quo become threatening and induce fear of the unknown. And as you progress into adulthood, anything new then is an abomination, an abhorrent thing which exists outside of the natural order, and should be destroyed.

Here’s another one: Any form of technology is magic to those who don’t understand it.

This applied so much to Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mass Effect 3 that I could hear millions of brows furrowing collectively around the world not long after the releases of those games.

I think that EIDOS believes that they now have to turn Deus Ex into something more inherently stupid, familiar, and commonplace in order to actually sell it. In other words — the integration of technology and person is evil, we must fight those who do it. This, of course, makes the unthinking, terrified herd happy and safe.

So that’s what I can see this being. What I personally wanted was another intelligent game in the Human Revolution series, because damn it, it was unusually intelligent. See, I was prepared to hate it, because I know how games for stupid people can be, and I’ve seen way too many of my favourite IPs raped to suit an audience of anti-intellectuals (Thief et al).

Taffer isn’t a word we use. It scares the tiny minds so common amidst the herd. We should replace it with fuck. In as many places as possible! Yes. Everyone should fuck the fucking fuckity fuck fuck! Oh, throw in a few ‘taffers’ to appeal to the intelligent people who might mistakenly buy this, just… throw them a bone. But ultimately, taffer goes, fuck stays. And remove those beetles, our demographics shows that stupid people are terrified of beetles. Replace them with dogs, our research team tells us that ‘doge’ is very popular at this time!

That’s the kind of thing I was expecting from Human Revolution. I was so, so wrong about Human Revolution (as I was about The Secret World). I’m just jaded, so I have to be ready for stupidity so that I can be pleasantly surprised. Playing Thief though made me want to vomit, and that applies to the majority of reboots. For some, crazy reason though… they decided to make DX:HR an intelligent experience.

I don’t understand why.

Oh, obviously it had some obviously ridiculous parts, but then it had some ethical dilemmas, some thought-provoking dialogues, and a theme of intellectuality running throughout. The biggest mistakes were design ones (like bringing a noisy helicopter into an area after a stealth mission, or forcing the player to kill the boss when they’ve spent no points in doing so).

But I’m not the target demographic. Idiots are.

I’m dreading this, I’ll tell you now. I am absolutely dreading this. After Human Revolution, I’d probably cry if they threw all of that away just to pander to deeply unpleasant superficial people who’ve not a unique thought between them.

I’m sorry, Deus Ex. :C I’ll remember you for Deus Ex, Invisible War (which had a pretty decent story, despite the decidedly flawed game itself), and Human Revolution.

It’s like watching a great artist dragged out back to be put through hours of electro-convulsive therapy until they’re some blithely happy, empty, stupid person whose thoughts are no longer their own. That’s what happened to Thief. And EIDOS were as responsible for that as they were for Human Revolution.

Question is, did DX:HR do as bad as I think it did?

Is its future a bright one of intellectuality, insight, and engaging ideas, or is it one of repulsive vapidity?

And as a bonus: This is what my world is like. The expert is the obvious introvert, there, and he’s surrounded by extroverts. This is what I feel like the average day on the Internet is like. Even VG24/7 as well, barring a scant few people who’re actually capable of insight.

#9 3 months ago
  10. yeoung

@TheWulf:

I see your comments from time to time, and I am not trying to be mean, but I get the feeling the meaning of the word succinct is lost on you. It may help convey your point if you condense the central theme to the amount of text befitting of a comment, rather than a thesis’ pretext.

I’d personally read any comment who I think argues a fair point or provides insight or a different perspective, but on the face of it your propositions seem to suffer from an inherent syndrome of diminishing returns, purely due to their sheer size.

/0,02

#10 3 months ago
  11. Game Hunter

@TheWulf so you’re calling billions of people who worship God extroverts?
    You’re actually talking like you’ve got the smartest ass in the whole planet and use things like your disability as a tool to make others take pity on you.may I remind you that even Albert Einstein was a Jew and believed in God?when they’re 3 big religions in the world with similar backgrounds, similar historical events and similar preachers,I think questioning people’s religious beliefs is no one’s right,specially when great scientists believe in those same beliefs. so I ask you to stop insulting people when everybody have their own flaws.religious extremists shouldn’t be an indicator of what those religions truly are.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Llewelyn_MT

Deus Ex HR would have been perfect. If not for the godawful boss fights that totally invalidate the stealth approach that could make i through the original game. To add insult to injury there actually is an achievement for completing the game without killing anyone except the bosses. How stupid is that?

#12 3 months ago