Kratos is coming: here’s why Sony will show God of War PS4 at E3 2014

Wednesday, 4th June 2014 07:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Will Sony show God of War PS4 at E3 2014? SCE Santa Monica itself seems to be teasing it, but there are plenty of reasons to put your faith in Kratos.

god_of_war

It’s time for a first-party next-gen blockbuster.

Do you remember when God of War 3 hit PlayStation 3 and suddenly it went from being an also-ran console to a piece of tech you actually wanted to own? It was a lot more complicated than that, of course, with Sony proving itself flexible and determined in turning the PS3′s fortunes around, but God of War 3 was basically the first “proper” PS3 game.

I don’t think the PS4 has that yet. InFamous: Second Son is pretty good, maybe even great, but I wouldn’t call it mind-blowing. It has been a system-seller, but it doesn’t have the pull the God of War franchise has.

A big proper God of War game could do a lot for the PS4 – a console that’s already doing pretty well without it. This is the first E3 after the PS4′s launch, and having gotten through the launch window slush – Knack and the like going on the same pile as PS3 launch titles like Folklore – it’s time to show us the big, heavy-hitting franchises we’re hungering for. Sony knows that as well as you and I do.

What else could SCE Santa Monica be doing?

Every time we ask questions about what SCE Santa Monica is doing, Sony politely points to about a dozen things. It’s helping Ready At Dawn with The Order: 1886, Honeyslug with Hohokum, and The Chinese Room with Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. It provides ongoing support for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. We’ve been told that it works with SCE Worldwide Studios to aid teams from all over the world by lending its tech and expertise, if not taking an active design role.

But you know what? SCE Santa Monica is really a big studio. Sticking a finger in every Sony pie isn’t enough to keep it occupied. It has to be doing something in there.

“Maybe it’s working on a new IP!” you cry. Indeed, imaginary Internet commenter. It might be. In fact, we’re pretty sure it has been – but that it was cancelled, resulting in lay-offs.

So what is it doing now? It’s doing God of War PS4. Obvs.

god_of_war_3

Sony’s got a big hole in its line-up – again.

Listen. We don’t actually know what was cancelled at SCE Santa Monica, but the rumours suggest it was something really big, with up to 150 staff on board, and that it was Sony’s big E3 2014 reveal. We also don’t know what Sony’s plans were for the release of this big new IP, but again, rumour has it was rebooted and therefore delayed multiple times – which certainly would explain a number of mysterious gaps in Sony’s release schedule in recent years (Where was 2013′s big end of year release, hey? Don’t tell me it was PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale; I’m not mental).

Sony not only needs a big next-gen hit, it needs something to replace this missing project. God of War seems the obvious choice. It’s something Sony already knows how to do, and already has the talent on board. For example:

Cory Barlog is back.

David Jaffe seems to have lost all interest in the God of War series, and wasn’t involved in the last few releases, but long-time leader Cory Barlog is back at SCE Santa Monica. If you happen to have the successful director of God of War in-house, why wouldn’t you get him on board? Sony may have had to offer Barlog various passion projects on the side to keep his interest, but there’s nothing to indicate it wouldn’t cut such a deal.

Sony has the people and a hole in its schedule. But other clues point to a God of War PS4 reveal at E3 2014; learn more on the next page.

1. Gekidami

I have my doubts about yet another game about Kratos. A new setting & new character would be pretty cool though.

#1 4 months ago
  2. redwood

I want a shared world experience set in the god of war world, basically dark souls style rpg with a focus on combat and epic battles and co-op , and a little to no focus on skill trees and builds.

that would be epic!

#2 4 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

Who’s left to kill?

Kratos vs Kramer?

#3 4 months ago
  4. The_Red

“What else could SCE Santa Monica be doing?”

That’s the problem. The cancelled project from Stig was their main project. Was the project that horrible to dump it and burn millions of dollars? We may never know but it’s more than likely that the focus on GOW4 hasn’t been their priority for some time.

With it being a transitional game (Old gen to new gen), the game will probably need more than 2 years of full time work. They probably don’t even have an early prototype or target render, let alone something to show from the actual gameplay.

Everything points to a short and pointless teaser trailer like the Uncharted 4 one we got at VGAs where the whole thing could end up cut or rebooted for the final product.

#4 4 months ago
  5. The_Red

Hopefully Kratos is not the main character.

I want a GODS of War game that has heroes from various mythologies going against Kratos / God of War rather than another angry adventure with the bald dude.

#5 4 months ago
  6. onlineatron

santa monica going from ‘we’re working on a new sci-fi game’ to ‘we’re working on another god of war’ is disheartening to the extreme

#6 4 months ago
  7. KAP

I’m one of the biggest GOW fan but I honestly don’t know where they can take the franchise without it turning into a “spin-off”. I really liked the last one but I don’t want the same for PS4.
    I’d rather they end Kratos’s story and start afresh.

#7 4 months ago
  8. polygem

Scratch Kratos….Prepare for Nrsimhadeva

#8 4 months ago
  9. reddingknows

No enough. Screw God of War. I despise Kratos and there is no one left to kill, everyone is dead. And the last thing this series needs is yet another prequel story. Please just let it end, or for godssakes let it rest for half a decade.

#9 4 months ago
  10. yeoung

Norse mythology would be pretty sweet. I bet Valhalla has nicer scenery than Hades and hopefully less spinning spikey things as well.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

You are going to be disappointed when Sony show a remaster for God of War Ascension.

#11 4 months ago
  12. zoopdeloop

God of War has become a cow in Sony’s farm and Kratos pretty much a dead horse.The thing is that cow isn’t producing any milk like she used to.
    such a reveal will not draw the same attention and excitement like it used to. regular fans are already in decline…except from some die hard fans which i don’t quite understand since every gow is and will be pretty much the same over and over(go play the previous titles again guys).

A next-gen gow will be pretty much the same, except an upgrade in graphics,a few more enemies on screen,a bigger world and finally an overstretched story for Kratos.
    If SSM had gone with completely different characters,different setting and lore that would be another story though…

#12 4 months ago
  13. vcarvega

I don’t think Kratos will be back for E3… I think the GOW brand has dimmed. GOW 3 was the perfect end piece and most gamers are ready to move on, as proven by Ascension sales. If they were to bring back GOW, it would need to be with a new protagonist, and possibly new mythology (Egyptian, Indian, etc).

Otherwise, I’d much rather see Sony Santa Monica launch new IP. Or re-launch Heavenly Sword.

#13 4 months ago
  14. thunderrun

9 out of 10 reasons I check every article is to see Dave Cook’s comments

#14 4 months ago
  15. Clupula

Rebooting God of War would go over as well as rebooting Devil May Cry did and probably get the same results.

#15 4 months ago
  16. PEYJ

I’m not convinced there is another GOW coming anytime soon, and I certainly don’t hope there is. I feel that SSM needs to do something entirely new (like a “8 days” game). I’m sure they have talent for it.

#16 4 months ago
  17. Agt_Pendergast

I kinda like this idea. http://store.donanimhaber.com/89/96/34/899634F154AA31A89BF72391B79A718B.jpg

My brother really likes the GoW games, so I’ll probably get a chance to try it out, but I dunno. Not really anticipating another unless they do something interesting with it.

#17 4 months ago
  18. airsick7

Wait… God of War 3 was the first must have, deal-breaker for buying a PS3? Demon’s Souls and Uncharted 2 didn’t do it for ya, huh. Needed that half-naked bald man. ;-)

#18 4 months ago