PlayStation Now’s beta looks laggy on a 100MB line in this off-screen video

Friday, 23rd May 2014 10:09 GMT By Dave Cook

PS Now is in beta across North America as you read this, and one tester has recorded his experience off-screen to show you exactly what it looks like and how long the games take to load.

We reported on the new PS Now private beta phase yesterday, and those who want to be considered for the next waves can sign up here.

Here’s the video, courtesy of Cry0spa7t3. While it does appear laggy at points – and he says as much too – do bear in mind that this is still a beta phase. He also gets a warning that his 100MB connection isn’t good enough at one point.

Vis DualShockers.

1. heyvc

that 100MB has the download rate of 100 Mbps on speedtest or 10 Mbps ?!
    If so.. damn… in my country no way that’s gonna work. The average internet connection here is 5Mbps.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Luciferous

Someone wasn’t paying attention when it said that clicking on the sides of the touch pad = start/select buttons, lol.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Joe Musashi

Quick, more clouds! Get some more clouds!!

JM

#3 6 months ago
  4. pukem0n

it’s Sony. did someone expect anything else really?

#4 6 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@Joe Musashi http://bit.ly/1jcHj24

#5 6 months ago
  6. onlineatron

wonder how he knows his connection speed. sites like speedtest.net prove inaccurate. testmy.net is probably the best site i’ve found for that kind of thing—while speedtest has me running at 20-30mbps, testmy hits around 7. i’m more inclined to believe the latter

#6 6 months ago
  7. RandomTiger

Theres so much that can go wrong at this stage I wouldnt read much into it.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

@5 Hey now.. that’s now what I.. .. OH YOU!

JM

#8 6 months ago
  9. DeVitowned

@pukem0n

Got that right. Sony’s netcode fucking sucks. Playing Uncharted 3 right now and 99% of the matches are a bullshit lagfest.

Paying for PlayStation Plus and the cocksuckers can’t even work on latency.

#9 6 months ago
  10. CycloneFox

Download rate is not the same as latency/responsivness and a beta is not the same as a finished product.

I wonder what kind of 100mbit connection he has. Is it even a fixed line network? I know that mobile networks can also reach very high download rates nowadays. But that’s unlikely. The more likely problem lies with his LAN. What kind of gateway does he use? If a router/switch, what kind of switch? Is the PS4 connected via cable or via WiFi? Is he or another member in his LAN downloading/streaming stuff?

100mbit are more than enough to stream a 720p video stream in real time (Even 2mbit would be enough if connection is stable). That’s why PSNow is telling him, that he may stream at the highest possible quality. The latency is clearly the problem.

#10 6 months ago
  11. KAP

lol. Damn, Sony. Messing up our internets.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Samurai

100MB? I think he meant 100Mbps, which translates to roughly 12.5MB/sec. This is enough speed. You only need a certain amount of bandwidth for it to be a smooth video. The other issue is latency because no bandwidth in the world is going to make it lag less if you have over 50ms ping.
    I’m just going to blame Sony’s servers for this at the moment, because you didn’t need an extreme internet for onLive and that worked somewhat acceptable as long as your latency was good.

#12 6 months ago
  13. kingy

Is he hard wired or using wifi … Also remember it is in beta …not a sony fan boy just saying

#13 6 months ago
  14. hammerstein08

I have Comcast, it’s 100mbps, using testmy.net or speedtest.net I get anywhere between 102mbps and 115mbps.

#14 6 months ago
  15. lexph3re

@CycloneFox Stop that your asking legit networking questions instead of spewing how much something sucks because it’s the companies fault!

I’m wondering when people are going to learn how network communication works. Because it’s obvious a lot of people just don’t.

#15 6 months ago
  16. illuminatusv

I have a 100MB/s down at 20ms flatrate contract with my service provider. Speedtest.net shows me 92MB/s down at 18ms ping which is in my opinion very good! And yes it is fiber optic cable that goes into my private apartment. To bad I do not own a PS4 to test it under my conditions …

#16 6 months ago
  17. super3001

psnow is fail. such waste of money.

#17 6 months ago
  18. larasactua

Yeah why would he want to stream a FPS? I guess its more useful for strategy and simulation games. Maybe turnbased RPG too

#18 6 months ago
  19. kingofscotland

This is the whole point in testing – if when it launches it has same issues that’s different.

Still good for a casual audience who don’t want to buy a console maybe and are able to play the odd game direct from their tv etc.

#19 6 months ago
  20. FabioPal

To be fair you don’t need 100Mbit to stream stuff like that, it’s more about the latency between your location and the streaming server.

You can have 100GIGAbit but still lag if you connect from New Zealand.

#20 6 months ago
  21. lexph3re

Welp I woke up in a good mood now. A friend of mine gave me his PS4 beta key for PS now. And so far, I’m not disappointed, only thing is the games quality is ps3 quality. So, it doesn’t seem to be emulating the software from PC at High settings. Doesn’t matter to much though because I can stream said games instantly and that’s all that matters to me. It’s also silky smooth on my connection but that’s probably because I get about 30mbps.

#21 6 months ago
  22. Obernox

I’m in the beta and it’s laggy as fuck with visuals dropping hard. My connection is 20mbps btw.

#22 6 months ago
  23. lexph3re

@Obernox not for me, pretty damn smooth. You using Wired or Wireless?

#23 6 months ago
  24. Arcnail

Obviously beta is just that, beta.

That said, why bother with all this streaming nonsense. Just let people download the game. If space is a concern, don’t let MS one up you and allow external storage to be attached.

#24 6 months ago
  25. BrokenSpline

@Arcnail

Thats not what PS Now is for its to allow to play a backlog of games without the need to create an emulator. SO you can play PS3/PS2/PSOne games on your PS4, PS3 and other devices like SOny’s Bravia.

#25 6 months ago
  26. Obernox

I’m connected by wire. Still laggy here.

#26 6 months ago
  27. lexph3re

@Obernox I’m sorry to hear that, I hope it improves for you. I’m not even using anything special, standard ISP modem and Wireless duo(which I hate by the way just to lazy to purchase my own).

#27 6 months ago
  28. fearmonkey

When It was gaikai, their streaming was the absolute best I have played. I hope Sony gets the performance right. Game streaming issues ihappen on the fastest connections, it can be affected by the users router, it’s settings, if they are using wireless and have multiple devices on that connection, etc.

#28 6 months ago
  29. BrokenSpline

@fearmonkey

Not to mention the distance between each server which can increase latency.

#29 6 months ago
  30. gameoholic007

It’s a beta people, you expected it to run totally smooth? They’ll work it out.

#30 6 months ago
  31. theduckofdeath

100 MB(ytes) or 100MBits/sec? You really should type lowercase ‘b’ for bits. If 100 MB/sec isn’t good enough, PSNow is hopeless.

#31 6 months ago
  32. theduckofdeath

@gameoholic007 Why is it that the Cloud (XB1) is allegedly complete horseshit, while, somehow, Sony is supposed to pull this off? That is the gamesite sentiment, anyway.

#32 6 months ago
  33. antraxsuicide

@theduckofdeath
    Welcome to the Internet. Sony could sell a turd to the gaming community right now. Fanboys would even say it was the best turd they’d ever had.

I’ve been skeptical about this from the start. Sony does not have any faith from me on their online network. Remember back when they said Killzone had “dedicated” servers? Good times.

#33 6 months ago