UPDATE: DriveClub PS Plus upgrade will not expire if your sub runs out, Sony confirms

Friday, 9th May 2014 12:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DriveClub publisher Sony has confirmed that its $44.99 PS Plus upgrade option will not expire should your subscription run out.

UPDATE: Sony just posted the following update on Twitter:

ORIGINAL STORY:

According to the developer, it plans on explaining how DriveClub works to public twice more before it’s release on October 7.

Active PlayStation Plus subs can download the Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition, which comes with one location – India – 11 tracks, 10 cars and access to all game modes.

Subscribers who play the PlayStation Plus Edition can upgrade to the “full Driveclub experience,” by purchasing a one-time upgrade for $49.99.

1. lacerz

Wait… you pay a $49.99 upgrade fee, but have to maintain Plus? Are you sure about that?

#1 3 months ago
  2. kingy

@lacerz Welcome to online games

#2 3 months ago
  3. Hcw87

”This will provide access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.”

Haha, oh my god. If you pay 50$ for a game you should be able to OWN that shit and not be forced to stay subbed in order to access the content.

Also, i didn’t see any information about the Blu-Ray version, there will not be a required PS+ sub for that aswell i hope?

#3 3 months ago
  4. kingy

@Hcw87 It sounds like sonys titian fall with cars (online only)

#4 3 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

PlayStation Plus is still required after the pricey upgrade? No, just no.

Well we do need more controversy on Driveclub, seeing as the other exclusives had something that sparked debates.

#5 3 months ago
  6. ij 44

A game where you get to drive a car, and nothing else.

Good luck selling the whole thing for $49.99

I believe this is what economic experts call “price discovery”, let’s see what we can get for new on Amazon/Play.com in 1 years time.

#6 3 months ago
  7. BrokenSpline

Yeah if I like the game I will just go for the hard disk version and not be locked with PS Plus.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Johnnymaxx

People.. you can add US$10,00 and buy the full game… and still subscribe to PS Plus to play it online.

I think of it as a good deal. Being a PS Plus member already (who the hell would own a PS4 and not be PS Plus member anyway? There must be someone, but I’m not here to judge), I see that I will get a free Demo with a descent ammount of content (more than Ground Zeroes FOR SURE), and if I really enjoy the game and want to have more, I would have to pay 10 dollares less than the whole complete game.

And since I will never stop paying for PS Plus, since I will never stop wanting to play online games, the game is mine forever. Just like the over 200 games (or almost 300, I’m not sure) that I have on PS3 and PS Vita for being a Plus Member since the begginning.

It is a good deal. Not an awesome deal, but good. In my opinnion, at least.

#8 3 months ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

@Johnnymaxx I have to agree with you. PS Plus is what, $50 a year? And you get plenty of triple-A games free for having it (I finally got a sub last month for my PS3). Plus, if you don’t want to play online you don’t have to. Just don’t buy a sub. But that $50 is what you would spend on one new game and you get how many free a year? Loads of them.

If it was an Xbox, you’d pay $59.99 a year for Gold and you don’t get even close to half the games for free – although I have a feeling that will change at some point.

Now before someone calls me a Sony fangirl, please note I own both a 360 and PS3 and have an XBL Gold account. Just sayin’. :)

#9 3 months ago
  10. CyberMarco

“as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.”

Lol wut!? What a joke.

@Johnnymaxx I think that’s a bad deal. If you are going to pay 50$ for the PS+ upgrade you should be able to keep the game for ever. If they asked for ~30$ for the unlock and still requiring PS+ that could be a decent deal.

#10 3 months ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@CyberMarco “If you are going to pay 50$ for the PS+ upgrade you should be able to keep the game for ever.”

I also agree with that. I am just agreeable today. HaHaHa! :p

#11 3 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

@Johnnymaxx @Stephany Nunneley
    Tread carefully. This particular “upgrade deal” is a rip-off. This doesn’t many any sense, if you buy games at a PS Plus discount (I can’t even call this a discount) you can keep it, don’t know why Driveclub has become the exception to the norm.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Stephany Nunneley

@Legendaryboss No reason for me to be careful about anything. I agreed PS Plus was a great deal, and also that if you upgrade that game you should be able to keep all the stuff.

#13 3 months ago
  14. Hcw87

If the blu-ray release doesn’t have these restrictions (forced PS+ subscription to unlock all content), then i can’t see why anyone would buy the digital edition. So i’m not sold at all on the-blu ray release letting you play all the content without PS+. Need some solid confirmation on this.

#14 3 months ago
  15. TD_Monstrous69

Well, seeing as how I’m subscribed to PS Plus through July of 2015, and I was looking forward to playing DRIVECLUB (PS Plus version), I think I might just upgrade to the full version.

#15 3 months ago
  16. gameoholic007

What a load of shit this is, no way in hell. If I do want to buy it, it’s going to be a disk for me.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Johnnymaxx

@Legendaryboss hmmm…… you know what, thinking about games with discount on Plus, many of them with even higher discounts than only 10 dollars, being owned forever… I can better understand the rage. Thank you for your point of view.

So yeah… maybe it is not such a good deal… but for me it is not also a deal breaker. Again, I’m certain that for the whole time in my life that I will be playing Playstation games, I will be signing PS Plus, both for the free games offered and for the (sadly) requirement to play online, so the game is, actually, going to be mine forever. It is the same argument I give to people that contest me when I talk about free games on PS Plus, saying that “it is not given, it is a rental! once you stop subbing plus, you don’t have the game!” Well.. yeah… but I will not stop… unless something real bad happens in my life but let’s not think that far…. ^^ So for me, is a matter of saving 10 dollars, and this is good.

My only real concern is that if the game is removed from the online store. I mean, I do have access to over 200 (or almost 300 games) in Vita and PS3 as I said before, but only for the Vita Games I’ve taken the care of creating a backup folder to store the game files in my possession. If the PS3 games are removed from online store, then I can’t download them anymore, if I ever want to play them. But then again this is a modern concern for everything, so let me stop here and not change this conversation to another subject.

#17 3 months ago
  18. Legendaryboss

@Johnnymaxx @Stephany Nunneley
    ……….

#18 3 months ago
  19. Lightmanone

The deal with the whole “as long as your PS+ is active” thing is the part that DriveClub IS an online gaming game. PS+ is required now to play online games, just like you have to have XBox Gold to play online games.

However. I wonder how much of the game REALLY is online and offline. Do you really need to be online to be able to play the game? I don’t know yet, else the 50 dollars “all in buy out” is really a sham indeed.
    But we’ll see~

#19 3 months ago
  20. TERMINATOR-SSD

i dont really see a problem with this. PS+ is a good deal anyway, Ive made my money back on it already with in 4months. And i get to try out this game for free and see if i like. If i do i will upgrade as its cheaper.

Locked to your PS + again i dont really see that much of a problem because you need + to play online anyway. If you plan to stop + your either mad or you are selling your console. I wont be stopping + any time soon anyway so its a good deal to me. Ive been a + subscriber since it launched on the PS3 and ive made back my cash ages ago. And if you joined + with your PS4 back in Nov you have already made your cash back from the free games.

#20 3 months ago
  21. dazedonthemoon

Because the PS Plus edition of DC is different from the retail copy. You are getting the 4/5ths of the game that’s leftover from the PS Plus discount. Not the retail copy whole game. That’s why I think it has to be linked to your PS Plus account. Just a hypothesis though.

#21 3 months ago
  22. heyvc

there is one thing missing on the article…

“If you ever drop your PS Plus membership, you won’t be able to access the game at all. For an extra $10, you’ll have unlimited access, even if your membership lapses.”

#22 3 months ago
  23. heyvc

@heyvc or maybe it reefers to the retail version.. I dunno.

#23 3 months ago
  24. heyvc

@heyvc yeah… i’m stupid.. sorry… my bad…

#24 3 months ago
  25. dazedonthemoon

@heyvc
    As long as you renew the membership, you can still play all the games you used to have. I’m assuming Driveclub will be the same. Even if you go a month without, when you resume you can play.

#25 3 months ago
  26. mistermogul

Seeing how generous Sony are with their cross-buys and other online store stuff, I can’t imagine this is the case. I reckon it’s just a misunderstanding. Even the games director is asking for clarification…

If it does turn out to be true then nobody would buy the digital version in their right mind, me included…

#26 3 months ago
  27. mistermogul

^ Like I said. I doubt that situation would have stood…

#27 3 months ago
  28. JaKhris

Anything you buy with a PS+ discount remains yours after your subscription expires. After all you did pay for it. So I don’t even see how it could have been said that you needed your subscription to keep it. Ah well, at least now everything’s sorted, even though it never should have confused anyone.

#28 3 months ago
  29. Joe Musashi

Based on the wording of the PS Blog this change wasn’t some sort of miscommunication. The original policy was to remove access to the game.

“UPDATE: Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.”

Maybe they saw Francis’ rant?

JM

#29 3 months ago
  30. fihar

Keep bitching guys.
    It’s working.

#30 3 months ago
  31. tenthousandgothsonacid

I suspect that, given how integrated with online it is, it’ll be fuck all use with plus anyway.

Still, 30 fps, fuck that. Project cars is rumoured to be 60 fps on the ps4…

But someone, ffs, write us a decent 60 fps arcade racer without licensed cars so we can smash em to bits. Okay, that’s burnout and that’s never going to happen again :( I’d happily play next gen 60fps split second again but that’s just as unlikely *sigh*

#31 3 months ago
  32. onlineatron

damn glad they reversed that decision

#32 3 months ago
  33. mistermogul

@tenthousandgothsonacid – Yeah I’d buy a PS4 remake of Burnout 2 in a heartbeat!

@ fihar – lol!

#33 3 months ago
  34. Legendaryboss

Oh they saw sense.

#34 3 months ago
  35. jmg24bad

Project cars is 60fps. But what did the sacrifice? Surely it’s things driveclub didn’t have to

#35 3 months ago
  36. Panthro

@jmg24bad

They sacrificed framerate, that’s what.

#36 3 months ago
  37. Arcnail

The PR train goes on..

#37 3 months ago
  38. jmg24bad

@panthro project cars sacrificed fps?

#38 3 months ago
  39. Panthro

No Driveclub did.

You said in your post Driveclub didn’t sacrifice things which Project Cars may have.
    That’s how your post sounds anyway.

#39 3 months ago
  40. Panthro

@Panthro

From what I have seen so far anyway Driveclub has AA issues as it stands currently, and videos always suppress aliasing so it is likely to be a lot worse during actual unrecorded gameplay.

#40 3 months ago
  41. MrSec84

@Panthro There aren’t any issues with AA in the latest Driveclub gameplay videos.

#41 3 months ago
  42. bobnice

PS180…??? Had to, it was all tee’d up for me

#42 3 months ago
  43. Panthro

@MrSec84

My intolerance of Aliasing may be bigger than yours, I see them.

Breaks the visuals completely IMO, its the road markings which are the worst.

#43 3 months ago