Mass Effect Trilogy listed for PS4 & Xbox One release

Monday, 28th April 2014 10:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect Trilogy has been listed for a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release by Chilean retailer Zmart, following quotes from BioWare suggesting that a new-gen bundle was on the cards.

We reported on the quotes earlier this year, which came from Aaryn Flynn, GM for BioWare’s Edmonton & Montreal studios. On Twitter he said, “We have discussed that internally. If we can put solid plans together we’ll share.”

Now, the Zmart listings come with PS4 and Xbox One pack art, with no release date attached. Hit the links for each product page.

According to the site, Mass Effect Trilogy has been rated M for mature on both formats.

Via OXM.

1. N7Caboose

WHOOOOOOO i hope its true! They can have my money :D

#1 5 months ago
  2. Obernox

Just give me ME1 and ME3 multiplayer. Everything else is dead weight.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

2014: The year of the remasters/ports/definitive editions.

Topic: This makes sense the next Mass Effect is supposedly launching in 2015, new gen only? So the Mass Effect trilogy and Mass Effect WIP could both be revealed at E3.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Joe Musashi

@3 I think the commercial success of current/last gen HD remakes is a factor here. Had they all flopped I doubt we’d be seeing so many ‘remasters’.

Plus, at the transition between last-gen to next-gen it’s a risky time. Whole new hardware to learn, new tools to create etc. A lot of investment just to get a first title produced. I can understand why a business would want to do this.

I’m reminded of Hudson’s fondness for releasing Bomberman games. The title was always popular mostly unchanged in terms of gameplay, but if memory serves, they also stated that releasing a Bomberman game on new hardware gave them the chance to familiarise themselves with the platform too.

JM

#4 5 months ago
  5. Llewelyn_MT

In Tomb Raider they at least did something with it to call it a remastered edition. I doubt they will even touch the (dated) graphics on this series. It will basic be an equivalent of a PC 1080p version @60 fps is all you can hope for. Not that it matters if it’s played in 720p or 1080p.

This is why gaming consoles won’t ever have backwards compatibility. If you can sell the same game twice it makes no sense to implement it. Console gamers can only blame themselves.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Nickwpearce

@Llewelyn_MT Every Nintendo console has had some form of backwards compatibility, wii did 100% and wii u does 100% as well, but i agree why allow backwards computability if people will purchase twice… or in nintnedos case multiple times… 3DS VC and Wii U VC

#6 5 months ago
  7. ManuOtaku

I hope they do it the right way, with improved resolutions and framerate, if they will only focus on resolution and not framerate, or let me refrase that if for aiming a high resolution they will sacrifice framerate, i would rather prefer if they do not do it. Improvement on both aspects or dont bother IMHO.
    As for the point of remakes with improved visuals, for me the only reason to support this is with games that cannot be played on new tv sets, like in the past gen, gamecube, ps2 and xbox titles really not performed well on HD tv sets, so in that regard there is a very good reason, or if we had already 4k tv sets and consoles that push those tv sets, then it would had also a good reason. Therefore this time i not see it, especially if they will sacrifice performance just for the sake of aiming better pixels.

#7 5 months ago
  8. CyberMarco

Since I haven’t had (it’s correct, right?) the chance to play the games yet and that the trilogy edition doesn’t come with all the DLC I wouldn’t mind getting it for PS4. That is if all the DLC is included.

#8 5 months ago
  9. ManuOtaku

@CyberMarco Yes i believe thats the right way to say it, but dont take my word for granted, english is not my main language either, and also thats a valid reason to do it, i mean for people that didnt get it the past gen.
    Although i word of advise wait for the reviews in order to see the performance of the game, if its worst than the ones of the previous gens, better pick those up, or thats the way i will do it myself.

#9 5 months ago
  10. kisame

this just shows that next gen are rushed like no other generation yet
    not even 1 year and all we see is remastered? are you kidding me ?

#10 5 months ago
  11. undermyrules

Thank you console users for buying again the copy of 1080 upgrade mass effect even if you had it for ps3/360….easy money for us…sincerely yours sony and microsoft…

#11 5 months ago
  12. bobnice

@CyberMarco

you have better english than most Americans. If you havent played this series I highly recommend buying this trilogy for Next Gen. It is one of (if not the) best game series of last gen (if not all time). Truly a masterpiece, if you are a fan of storytelling. This os one of the greatest stories ever told in video games.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Spider Law

How about the fact that Xbox One or PS4 are the first consoles somebody has actually bought. I knew some gamers that just started gaming in their 20s on the PS3. Also, when i was a kid, some started on the N64 while i had been gaming on NES since i was 3……..

Does happen you know?

And since this series was a great series, maybe this is meant for those that havent played it yet. Seems likely since each game only sold 6 million copies each and there are what? 70 million PS3s and 70 million 360s out there, not counting the hundreds of million PCs………

#13 5 months ago
  14. Llewelyn_MT

@bobnice:

You didn’t play any games, have you? The first game was indeed great, but the second has barely passable story and the last is an insult to logic. They said our choices will matter and carry over the entire trilogy, which is obviously not true.

Still, it’s a fun game to play if you haven’t already. Just don’t get your hopes all the way up, cause in for a looong fall then.

My advice though is to get the game on a PC. It’s dirt cheap, already in 1080p, and you can play in on your 3 years old laptop hooked up to the TV and controller if you so desire.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Panthro

@Llewelyn_MT

Even though Mass Effect is a multi platform game I still treat it as a ‘console-type’ experience just by how paper thin the game is.

I see through every illusion they try to throw at me which completely breaks immersion, I feel like my actions have absolutely no impact on story and those long dialogues where I have to choose a sentence out of 3 but they all say the exact same thing only with different wording, all I used to think while playing then was what is the point?And are people so dense they actually believe these are actual choices?

It’s a game which should have had less design choices and more thought put into it, the game is smoke and mirrors to give the player the belief they are making game changing decisions when they really aren’t.
    I bought the trilogy once (dirt cheap I might add) and I will not buy it again to play what I already have on PC.

Sony, MS and all these other developers are laughing at all those console gamers buying these games twice, easy money for them with almost no effort needed.

Pffft and it’s the ‘PC Master Race’ who care about graphics. Trust me, The PC gamers I know would laugh in a developers face if they asked us to pay for a game again to get a visual upgrade for a game so recent as M/E is.

#15 5 months ago
  16. bradk825

Wouldn’t pick this up right away, but it’s nice to know it’ll be there, maybe next summer when there’s another games drought (I wish they’d release games in the summer).

#16 5 months ago