Prince of Persia title teased by Ubisoft Reflections engineer, then promptly pulled

Wednesday, 23rd April 2014 09:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Prince of Persia’s rumoured 2D reboot could be on the cusp of a reveal, as suggested by a mysterious tweet posted by Ubisoft Reflections engineer Drew James.

prince_of_persia_2014

The image above is quite blatant, and a search for James’ Twitter feed reveals that it has since been taken offline, suggesting that he’s said something he shouldn’t have.

Last we heard, Prince of Persia’s next outing will be rendered in Ubisoft’s UbiArt Framework, the same engine used to power Rayman Origins and Legends.

We’ll update you if we hear back from Ubisoft on the matter.

Via VGLeaks.

1. undermyrules

1992 called thay want you there….seriously 2D?

#1 7 months ago
  2. Persia13

@undermyrules If they do it right 2D will be the best thing for the franchise.

#2 7 months ago
  3. undermyrules

@Persia13 i was 8 years old almost 15 years ago….so yeah 2D is for kid playing on their nintendoes.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Fin

Sweet

#4 7 months ago
  5. wicktus

@1 there’s a difference between Apple II’s 2D and Ubiart 2D :)

#5 7 months ago
  6. fengato

Looking forward to this – POP in 2D (animated beautifully on the Ubi Art engine) has me very interested.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Max Payne

Why not both 2d and 3d ?

#7 7 months ago
  8. Gheritt White

@Persia13 I disagree – while PoP2: The Shadow & The Flame remains my fave instalment in the series, I think there’s still a lot of mileage in PoP going 3D, with more fantastical platforming options than in Assassin’s Creed, e.g. the wall running and insane flips you can do in the Sands of Time trilogy.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Panthro

@undermyrules

Yeah, playing as an imaginary prince in 3D is way more mature.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Dave Cook

I’m really on board with the idea of a UbiArt Framework PoP game. The art could look stunning if they get it right.

#10 7 months ago
  11. The_Red

Wow… 2D? As in original, pre-Sands Prince 2D?

HELL YES. The Sands of Time was great but nothing, NOTHING beats POP1 and 2. Hopefully they really focus on deadly 2d platforming, crazy tiles and finally puzzles instead of making something like Shank.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Gheritt White

@The_Red I agree 100%… but I want *both*!

For me PoP 1 and PoP 2 were some of the most defining titles of early videogame playing years (I was 8 when the first one was released in ’89 and couldn’t believe the rotoscoped animation), but equally the Sands of Time Trilogy were among my absolute favourite titles from the PS2/Xbox era… the more PoP the better, IMHO. So I’m not disappointed or ungrateful – just greedy ;)

#12 7 months ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

I loved the reboot in cell shading.
    Loved the pace, the art direction, very dreamy and beautiful

#13 7 months ago
  14. Michael Ireland

@Gheritt White Ubisoft would disagree. The last few underperformed, and the movie’s sequel’s never came to fruition. The franchise got put on ice for a reason.

A 2D title will have a smaller budget and tap into nostalgia. This is probably the most the series is going to get for a while.

#14 7 months ago
  15. Belmont

I really,really loved the 2008 game. Incredibly beautiful art,amazing soundtrack and a dream/ancient stories feel that was quite refreshing and interesting. Where is the sequel to that ?!!!?!

#15 7 months ago
  16. ManuOtaku

I really like the cell shaded game, why not improve upon it?, i dont have a problem with a 2d version ala rayman graphic style. Is that i dont want the entire future of the series like that, i hope they will make a continuaton for the cell shaded entrance.

#16 7 months ago
  17. SLARTIBAF1

@ManuOtaku: Like Michael said, it underperformed, therefore it’s unlikely for it to have a sequel. Like Mirrors Edge…

#17 7 months ago