Phil Spencer named new head of Xbox division

Monday, 31st March 2014 16:44 GMT By Sherif Saed

Microsoft has announced that Phil Spencer is going to take over as head of its Xbox division.

The firm’s CEO Satya Nadella announced the news earlier this morning in an internal email to employees.

“I have asked Phil Spencer to take on a new role leading Xbox, combining the Xbox and Xbox Live development teams with the Microsoft Studios team. Phil will report to Terry Myerson, allowing us to keep gaming close to the group developing operating systems across devices,” the email read.

Spencer said in a new message to the community published on Xbox Wire, “Our community is at the heart of what we do at Xbox. Whether it is meeting thousands of fans at the launch of Xbox One, talking at industry events or hearing from gamers on Twitter and Xbox Live, I am actively listening and I am motivated to do what’s right for fans who’ve invested their time, hearts and money in the products we build. You have been the most important part of the success Xbox has had to-date and you are a critical voice as we continue the journey.

“I am incredibly proud of the talented Xbox employees around the world and believe, like they do, in the power of technology to bring games and entertainment to life across console, PC, tablet and mobile devices. It’s been a remarkable year for Xbox and I am honored to lead the team at this incredible time for Microsoft and the games industry,” he added.

Spencer will be taking over the entirety of the Xbox division, including Microsoft Studios-which he was head of, Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

Yusuf Mehdi will continue to lead the business strategy and marketing for Xbox, Mike Angiulo will oversee Xbox hardware and George Peckham will deal with third-party partnerships.

1. tezzer1985

I actually like Spencer, he comes across ok in the media, I got a lot of respect for the dude, especially when he praised Sony & even Nintendo.

#1 4 months ago
  2. ActionGameKing

Wish him luck. Sony needs competition or they will get lazy.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Gheritt White

Nice guy; poisoned chalice.

#3 4 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

I was pretty down on MS thanks to the horrible antics of Don Mattirck and all his decisionsm but Phil’s attitude and behavior is winning me over. He comes across like a decent guy, no trash talk or fanboyism, and even compliments the competition. I hope this continues and the others follow his lead.

#4 4 months ago
  5. bobnice

I gotta admit I am excited about this. I like Phil Spencer. He’s someone I can relate to because he’s not really a talking suit but rather someone who appreciates games. This can only mean good news for Xbox, and since they’re having the best year they’ve ever had I’m excited to see where things go from here. It’s been a great start to the new generation for both consoles, and a great shot in the arm for gaming.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Gheritt White

@bobnice: You think that 2014 is doing better for the Xbox brand than 2007 or 2008? Are you out of your mind?!?

#6 4 months ago
  7. bobnice

@Gheritt White

no need to be an ass. I’m talking about sales of Xbox one this far. It’s selling 2x faster than 360 did thus far.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Darkfield

Finally, someone who actually is respected even by non-xbots.

#8 4 months ago
  9. ddtd

More like, “Finally, someone who actually likes video games is in charge of xbox.”

#9 4 months ago
  10. TheKeyPit

Great news for the xbox brand.

#10 4 months ago
  11. adge_uk

Always comes across as a nice guy and seems to understand gaming. With Office on the iPad announced and this promotion it feels like Microsoft’s new management are making very wise decisions.

#11 4 months ago