Wii U isn’t “sexy”, but never underestimate Nintendo, says Molyneux

Thursday, 20th March 2014 02:56 GMT By Mike Irving

Every man and his Yoshi has a theory about how to “fix” Nintendo, but vocal British developer Peter Molyneux warns not to count the company out just yet.

In an interview with IGN, Molyneux expressed concern that Nintendo has somewhat “lost their way” with the Wii U, after the runaway success of the original Wii.

He felt the GamePad was big and clunky, and “certainly not a sexy piece of hardware.”

“But they’re super smart people. Never underestimate Nintendo,” he said. “They’re probably one hardware release away from something that utterly convinces us that they know exactly what the future of gaming should be.”

Thanks, Nintendo Life.

1. DeVitowned

Poor Wii U. Such a decent console with great games, barely hanging on by a thread. I truly hope Molyneux is right about something for a change and Nintendo makes a competent console out of it. I bet on their horse for the first time since the N64 and I don’t want to regret that decision!

#1 6 months ago
  2. The_Red

“But they’re super smart people.”
    Ok, let me stop you there. They are talented people who make fun games. Hell, even great ones (Zelda Link Between Worlds) but smart?
    Iwata and his idiot board are the definition of idiocy and ignorance when it comes to management and business.

#2 6 months ago
  3. tenthousandgothsonacid

Always underestimate Molyneux tho. He doesn’t know what the fuck he’s on about even when he’s not lying.

Where’s Milo you liar ?

#3 6 months ago
  4. ArithonUK

Replace the word “sexy” with the word “selling” and the headline and article is fixed.

Good or bad is debatable, well supported by developers is doubtful, but whatever side of the fence you’re on, the one thing that is clear, is that not many people are buying the Wii U.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Gekidami

We’d have to learn that owning a PS4 & XB1 gives you neurofibromatosis for the WiiU to pick up at this point. The system is dead, theres nothing Nintendo can do to turn it around.

#5 6 months ago
  6. polygem

it´s the most sexy videogame console you can buy for your money atm – by far.
    it´s a bad choice if you want to own just one machine to play games on but as a console it does tons of things right anyway.
    the moment you turn on the wiiu with it´s plaza, miiverse, it´s like it´s christmas time every time again. nintendo just capture a good feeling with their consoles. they make feel good machines and software that isn´t ashamed to be just toys and that´s so much more sexy than trying to make. believe in teh power of the cloud where the true nextgen starts for the ´players´ – THAT´S what i call unsexy. very very unsexy indeed.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

In console market? Absolutely! Wii was a fluke, never happening again.
    In the handheld market? You would be a fool to do so.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

The console is dire. Its interface is dire. It is slow, unintuitive, obstructive, poorly laid out and emphasis has been given to whimsy at the expense of functionality.

I don’t play a console. I play a game.

JM

#8 6 months ago
  9. Gekidami

^ Indeed, the console is junk, really. It was made with no lasting power, no forward thinking in mind. The only saving grace is the games, but the thing is the only people making any for it are Nintendo, and they’re limited. No matter how good you think think their games are, they cant keep the console afloat on their own.

Crappy console, not enough games. The thing is the WiiU IS Nintendo. The Wii really was a fluke, because before that this is pretty much how things have always gone down for them. Granted they’ve never been in this bad a state, but look at the consoles before the Wii, the NGC & N64 were exactly the same, for the most part they could only rely on first party games and both systems were crushed by the competition.

Nintendo are no strangers to failure. The Wii was lightning in a bottle because they caught the casual market, but now they’ve lost that.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Panthro

This guy is so wrong.

Nintendo is the sexiest of all the consoles.

Tell a girl your playing COD, she will think your a douchebag brah.

Tell her you want to play Super Mario and she will burst a valve.

Seen it happen, its fact, no one can dispute this.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Gekidami

…You tell a girl who only has the most basic, main stream knowledge of video games you’re playing Mario, she’ll probably think you’re some kind of sad man-child…

#11 6 months ago
  12. Panthro

@Gekidami

Sound’s like you don’t know many girls ;)

Almost every girl I have met , gamer or non-gamer 9/10 times loves Mario.

Nothing wrong with enjoying something made for kid’s. It’s a good trait in my opinion.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Panthro

@Gekidami

But you know, anything mainstream these days is labelled as ‘sad’.

I think it’s sad people actually think that way.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Gekidami

@Panthro
    I guess thats why bronies get so much poon.

#14 6 months ago
  15. Panthro

@Gekidami

I don’t mix with those crowds so I would not know…

Nor do I ever want to 0.0

#15 6 months ago
  16. dreamcastnews

I’ve got to agree, my girlfriend loves games by Nintendo, we find ourselves playing Mario Party, Super Mario and Wii Sports quite a lot. She owns a PS3 – never plays it.

To be honest, if Nintendo is truly for kids and women – I’m cool with that since when I start a family I can still game without taking away family time.

#16 6 months ago
  17. fearmonkey

@Gekidami Your just killing me with your posts…bronies..lmao…

The Wii isnt sexy, it’s cute. Not the hot girl/guy that lives next door cute, the little kid on his bike for the first time cute. It was the same with the fisher price looking gamecube, just the colorful kid like design put off many people at the time, including myself.

I picked up the Wii-u controller and wasnt really impressed with it’s feel or the screen to be honest, there wasnt anything particularly sexy about it all. I agree with Mr M on this.
    I don’t count them out but they need to make some changes, and I don’t see them chaning all that much until; iwata gets show the door.

#17 6 months ago