Microsoft prototyping VR headsets, report claims

Tuesday, 18th March 2014 09:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is following Oculus – and if these rumours are to be believed – Sony’s move into VR devices, according to a new report.

It follows my roundtable interview piece with several VR-developing studios, to see if they feel the format truly does have a viable future.

Now; the Wall Street Journal claims that sources with knowledge of the matter have revealed that Microsoft is designing VR devices that incorporate augmented reality tech to help realise a new breed of Xbox gaming experience.

What do you think?

Via CVG.

1. Joe Anderson

I think VR for gaming is a waste of time and money. It may has some genuine uses in the real world, but as an entertainment device it’ll soon go the way of 3D. No-one wants to sit in the comfort of their home wearing an uncomfortable device on their head. It’s not relaxing and it’s not going to take off. Not sure why these gaming companies don’t realise that.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Fin

@Joe Anderson

You tried it? It’s fuckin amazing. Seriously. First time I’ve used tech and immediately thought “this is the future”.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Joe Anderson

I’m sure it’s amazing, but do you really see millions of gamers sitting around with a VR device on their head? I would try it, but there is no way it would take of mainstream. It’ll be very niche.

#3 8 months ago
  4. jonnymelamet

@Joe Anderson I completely agree with you here.

A great part of gaming is playing with your mates and the look on their faces when you beat them. I admit that I am a casual gamer, but having your vision blocked when you beat someone next to you loses the intensity of the competition.

Also, I think VR would be great regarding medical research, engineering, bomb disposal etc.

I strongly believe that if the efforts with VR headsets was focused there, games would naturally begin to be developed. Using this technology in real world situation will lead to a better understanding of how people can use the technology and only then can developers properly develop games that fully utilise VR.

Unfortunately, money trumps practicality and most manufacturers are looking for the short term profit. This means that there will be badly produced games that go for a cheap thrill and interest will die quickly.

It is a shame for promising technology, but it will be a fad.

ps. so many gamers wearing a headset will have their mates pull pranks on them. Just to maintain that as a firm belief of mine.

#4 8 months ago
  5. antraxsuicide

“Microsoft has given no prior inclination that VR is on its radar, but with GDC taking place this week we’ll keep our eyes peeled for relevant tech-chatter from the San Francisco show.”

So are we pretending that this didn’t happen? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405922,00.asp

This has been in the works for awhile now, I’m sure.

#5 8 months ago
  6. gameoholic007

Here we go, sounds like the copy cat syndrome might strike again.

#6 8 months ago
  7. fearmonkey

Well the glasses they were working on were AR glasses not VR, so if they release VR then they are worried about Sony’s VR plans.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Panthro

MS wouldn’t do this, I was told they were innovators and this is already being done by other companies… If they are doing it, it will be some higher tech expensive bladerunner shit that you have to pay a subscription each month for access to it, because “higher quality”.

I would love to be able to see what 720p smells like.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Panthro

Hahaha edited my post before posting it and now the ‘smells’ reference at the end is meaningless. Keep dropping the ball today.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Hyperx64

Breaking News! I, myself, am also building a VR prototype. It will be called, “Actual Reality,” because in fact it’s just a pair of glasses.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Hyperx64

@Joe Anderson But hey. No-one ever thought people would all be walking around looking at the world through their telephones…

Also, you can take the headset off when ever you want you know.

#11 8 months ago
  12. jonnymelamet

@Hyperx64 Does Actual Reality also come in the form of a lens that can go in your eye to help you see it better?

#12 8 months ago