Sony Canada confirms price increase for PS4, DualShock 4, games in region

Saturday, 15th March 2014 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has confirmed a price increase for PlayStation 4, DualShock 4, the PS Camera and exclusives such as inFamous: Second Son and MLB 14 The Show.

ps4

Speaking with the Toronto Sun, Sony said the price of PS4 would increase by $50 effective March 15. Formerly, the console’s price was $399.99; as of today, it will run Canadians $449.99.

The price of DualShock 4 and PS Camera will go up by $5 to $64.99, while the aforementioned videogame titles have jumped by $10 to $69.99.

Sony said in a statement the price increase was in response to “changes in the market environment,” but the firm didn’t reference the decline of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar as the culprit.

Microsoft said in a statement to the Toronto Sun it does not not plan to implement a similar console price hike.

Sony’s PS4 has remained relatively sold-out in most Canadian stores, despite regular shipments of stock coming in from Sony. The report stated that while PS4 is scarce, Xbox One “readily available”.

Many new game releases in the region, on both PS4 and Xbox One, jumped by $5 as of January 2014.

1. SlayerGT

This is saddening only for folks that want but haven’t been able to get their hands on em. Price increases suck, but unfortunately they have to happen at some point.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Hcw87

This is why buying consoles early is a good thing. I bet those laughing at us for buying it early is quite butthurt right now.

That said, this is a scumbag move.

#2 5 months ago
  3. kingy

Is it just playstation products or have all electronics tv’s ,fridges things like that gone up

#3 5 months ago
  4. Revolting

The increase in games prices would be more concerning to me than the increase in the console’s price. The prices of games affects everyone, whether you have a console yet or not, and will keep on hitting everyone with every new game to be released. Even more unfortunate that it will only effect the platform exclusives; they should be an attractor, not an inconvenience.

#4 5 months ago
  5. dtyk

Prices have been hiked across the board. All games are 64.99 now. That is including ps3 games.

I can’t imagine xone not following suit unless they use this as a chance for competitive pricing.

The Canadian dollar has simply been weak, along with inflation.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Panthro

@Hcw87

I’m still laughing at you.

#6 5 months ago
  7. xXNapsterManXx

A price increase seems strange to me, though maybe because I live in Australia we are already being fucking on price by retailers so they don’t need to increase the price.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Mr Sparkle

@Hcw87 This is economy. They don’t raise the price, they lose money. Simple as that. Hopefully the dollar will right itself before long, but apparently it might get worse before it gets better.

#8 5 months ago
  9. antisony

I think Sony really screwed themselves here on raising the price in Canada. Why didn’t Sony raise the Americans stuff when our dollar was much higher then there’s for over 2 years? It really comes down to greed. I know 4 people including myself that where waiting to purchase a PS4 when stock came available. But because if the price increase they dumped on us I’m proud to say we all last night became Xbox One owners with a FREE titanfall game. You can’t launch something and then jack the price ontop of have no stock for so long Sony Corp!!!

#9 5 months ago
  10. Panthro

@antisony

You get a FREE Titanfall game when you spend $499 on console!!!?
    OMG OMG OMG OMG VALUE!

DATS VALUE 4 MONIES RIGHT DER.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Michael Ireland

@Hcw87 I’d rather wait until it’s $100 cheaper and there’s an actual decent supply of quality games for it, personally.

#11 5 months ago
  12. antraxsuicide

It’s because Sony, as a corporation, is broke. They’ve got nothing in the bank, a credit rating that would make MC Hammer look like Bill Gates, and they’ve run out of their best buildings to pawn off. They simply can’t take the hit that a weakened CAD would cause them. MS can handle it easily.

I guarantee that price drops will be a thousand times easier on the X1 than the PS4 as well.

#12 5 months ago
  13. antisony

I agree on those points to suicide. But Sony played dirty pool in my opinion. Hopefully with the price hike they’ll make there system in different colours or give the system a 1TB hard drive. The whole 500GB drives are small being games take 25 plus gigs of space to play. But all in all I think it was a huge mistake to raise the price on a system over a dip in the dollar.

#13 5 months ago