Sony to reveal VR headset at GDC, prototype already with developers – report

Wednesday, 12th March 2014 11:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony will reveal its long-rumoured VR gaming headset at GDC in San Francisco next week, during its ‘Driving the future of innovation,’ talk on Tuesday, March 18. That’s the claim of an alleged insider cited in a new Edge report.

The claim was made by a supposed third-party developer which already has a prototype of the device. They claim that Sony’s headset is ‘far superior’ to the first Oculus Rift model, although this gap is expected to narrow with the release of the company’s Crystal Cove dev-kit.

Edge’s source adds that while there is little software available for Sony’s peripheral, the company’s GDC session should reveal first-party content, perhaps a tech demo. It is also claimed that Sony is placing no pressure on its internal and first-party developers to incorporate VR technology into games.

The site adds that studios contacted about the technology were keen on the notion, but were unsure of its viability as a new platform.

Sony’s March 18 GDC session will see SCEA research and development executives Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov take to the stage to discuss the company’s new innovations. It’s worth noting that both execs had a hand in the creation of PlayStation Eye and PS Move.

When contacted about the above, a Sony rep told Edge, “We do not comment on rumour and speculation.”

What do you make of the above?

1. ChristopherJack

This has been claimed multiple times. I’ll believe it when I see it. I think there’s a strong possibility but I won’t be surprised or disappointed if nothing about this was shown.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Erthazus

Sony show me a resolution. If it is below 4K it’s crap. End of story.

#2 10 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

Seems pretty sure fire that it won’t be super high res Erth. I don’t see how they could make it cost effective. I am guessing 720p ish. !080p would surprise me.

But I agree it should be higher for best results. Lower res inches off of our nose could ruin the experience.

#3 10 months ago
  4. OlderGamer

1080p not !080p obviously … RIP edit button.

#4 10 months ago
  5. alimokrane

I will now make a prediction: See you next gen everyone, when Sony decides to bundle this VR headset with the PS5 and ruin what it has built with PS4 just like MS did with Kinect this gen. Mark my words and see you in 10 years or thereabouts.

#5 10 months ago
  6. OneLifeCycle

I really think gaming is due something new. Since the holograms that shoot up from a table top never happened, I guess a wearable TV will have to do.

#6 10 months ago
  7. TrickyAudio

More exciting that 3D that’s for sure

#7 10 months ago
  8. _LarZen_

After I tested the Oculus Rift there is no doubt in my mind that VR is coming and it’s probably going to be one of the most important things to happen to gaming in a long long time.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Michael Ireland

More dead end technology if true.

If Sony wants to get their past prominence back, they need to create the future of technology. Copying everyone else’s half assed ideas isn’t going to reinvent anything.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Erthazus

@OG, if they won’t have 4K then ok but at the same time they need to be sure that people won’t vomit playing these things.

I tested Oculus Rift that is basically a devkit and felt not really great playing it. Experience was fantastic but it need’s a higher resolution and decent frame rate.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Erthazus

@OG, you can get sick with VR tech pretty fast.

#11 10 months ago
  12. OlderGamer

Makes sense Erth.

#12 10 months ago
  13. NightCrawler1970

Thats the only pic available???

#13 10 months ago
  14. Panthro

I thought this got shot down and revealed it was only a crappy headset to give you the illusion you had a big TV?

#14 10 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Huh! I wasn’t expecting either of the consoles to even try this because mainstream and too risky. I mean, this is very much a PC thing because it’s a development platform and pretty much all risk, that’s what makes it fun. Console providers tend to play it really safe, though, so I wouldn’t have expected this from any of the big three.

I just wonder what they’ll do with it, and whether they’re just gassing about jumping on the bandwagon to draw interest to their console without really actually having any interest at all.

We’ll see! I hope so.

#15 10 months ago
  16. TheWulf

By which I mean that I hope PS3/4 users will get VR, that’d be rad for them.

#16 10 months ago