Sony unveils next generation of “Archival” 300GB-1TB Blu-ray discs

Monday, 10th March 2014 12:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has announced the next evolution of its Blu-ray format. The new Archival Disc medium aims to offer up to 1TB of storage on one disc over time.

blu_ray_archival_disc

Over on Sony’s official site, the manufacturer confirmed that the first wave of Archival Disc Blu-rays will drop around summer 2015, and will offer 300GB of storage. Sony hopes to increase this limit to 500GB and then again to 1TB in future iterations of the medium. Blu-rays currently offer 50GB of storage.

Sony_archival_blu_ray

The Archival Disc Blu-rays were developed as part of a collaboration between Sony and Panasonic, with a view to delivering a next-generation optical disc format for the long-term storage of data. The logo seen above will appear on Archival Disc products in due time, and will receive promotion from both Sony and Panasonic when available.

We’ll have more on this technology as it comes, but what do you think so far?

Via Videogamer.

1. Michael Ireland

Next generation of hardware probably, with 4K video. Not that anyone cares about 4K yet. I don’t see that becoming a mainstay anytime soon.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Panthro

@Michael Ireland

I strolled passed a 4K TV in Curry’s last month… I was blown away.

I didn’t think there was going to be much of a difference but there really is.
    I cannot wait to get my hands on one, once they drop in price anyway… They are waaaay to expensive at the moment.

#2 9 months ago
  3. onefivefive

I’ll finally get that Buffy compilation blu ray I’ve always wanted.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Djoenz

Depending on price it could work because I’m assuming you can use these as data discs as well?
    No more need for external HDD’s then.

#4 9 months ago
  5. wamp

Y U Keep making discs (boom)

#5 9 months ago
  6. Panthro

@onefivefive

HAHAHAHA

… I Love Joss Whedon, but that’s seriously the thing you are looking forward to?

#6 9 months ago
  7. Panthro

@Djoenz

I would preferably carry around an external HDD over a Disc any day…
    If Blu-ray themselves one day make a new type of portable storage like a cartridge or something (I have a thing for cartridges, I hope they come back one day) I would love it.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Dragon

For all, this disc is not meant for general public. Its aimed at professionals in need to back up previous data (archive it), hence the name “Archival disc”.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Michael Ireland

@Panthro Blu-ray does have one merit in that it’s extremely resistant to scratching, so you don’t have to worry half as much about them being damaged, and would outlast most HDDs. I’m far more comfortable buying a Blu-ray for that reason alone. So these would be great for making permanent backups of things.

PCs have been really carrying their tails when it comes to increasing HDD sizes the past few years. Standard PCs should be coming packaged with 2TB HDDs right now, and the obscene cost of Solid State Drive is defined by nothing but pure greed.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Djoenz

@Dragon
    The original article states for professional field yes, but also the mentioning of 4k movies?

#10 9 months ago
  11. Erthazus

Schwing!

#11 9 months ago
  12. Djoenz

@Erthazus
    Haha damnzz.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Dragon

@Erthazus ,
    Optical discs have much better reliability than any hard disk, simply because of no moving parts, and obviously, much cheaper per GB.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Fin

@Erthazus

“Imagine that you have 1TB of important files on the disk and one file is corrupted and disc won’t work after that.”

?

Do you understand how disc read mechanisms work? One file corrupted doesn’t corrupt the whole disc.

#14 9 months ago
  15. adge_uk

Hideo Kojima – this is not a target.

#15 9 months ago
  16. grimfeng

Isn’t digital storage in a cloud more reliable and secure even? What am I missing?

#16 9 months ago
  17. CycloneFox

@grimfeng : “digital storage in a cloud”? “reliable” and “secure”? You nuts?
    I see more than one use case for huge mediums like this even in private space already.
    But a professional company, dealing with sensitive data would never ever store anything in a cloud. There is never something like a secure space in the internet. And I don’t even want to mention how unreliable it is to begin with.

#17 9 months ago
  18. ManuOtaku

Imagine games with 1 TB in a mid term window, and thar internet speeds do not evolve as fast, i wonder how those who like digital over physical media would handle this scenario. At this rate it will be very difficult to have an all digital only industry.

#18 9 months ago
  19. NightCrawler1970

@Panthro We had zipdrive but in that time max was 250MB

unless you have $$ to go for a 500GB cartridge and the reader USB 3.0 for almost 300 dollar..

#19 9 months ago