PS4 PlayStation Plus will get free triple-A games later this year, insider claims

Wednesday, 5th March 2014 13:00 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s free PS Plus offerings have consisted of indie titles so far, and according to one insider, Sony has told him that triple-a games will be entering the Instant Game Collection’s rotation later this year.

It comes from an alleged conversation between industry insider Ahsan Rasheed and Sony. It’s worth noting he has a solid track record for being right, but do take these tweets as rumour and nothing more:

While using PS Plus as launchpad for new indie games is welcome and admirable, are you still hoping to see free, AAA PS4 titles enter rotation this year? Let us know below.

Via OPM.

1. MrSec84

Not shocked it’s taken a while to get any such titles, it’s a new platform, the library takes a while to build up & negotiations have to be made with 3rd parties.
    Indies have provided the buffer to let such games build up.

#1 9 months ago
  2. schnide

@MrSec84

+10

#2 9 months ago
  3. Bam007

I am pretty sure everyone who watched Sony’s press conference at E3 last year figured this out for themselves. Why did it take this guy over 6 months to get it?

#3 9 months ago
  4. Michael Ireland

The machine *just* came out.

#4 9 months ago
  5. heyvc

People won’t be patient.. c’mon.. the free games are being great, people want to own the console and don’t pay for ANY game.. I’m cool with indie games until we game a bigger library of games. PS+ is the best service, You get 1 free ps4 game (Usually exclusive to ps4/pc), 1 AAA (or more) and 2 PSN PS3 games and 1 or 2 AAA vita (psn). AND the best discounts.. I got XIllia for 10 bucks… ni no kuni for 7 bucks… that’s awesome discounts.. I’m pretty happy with sony and the way they are doing this stuff.. bigger games will come.. just hang on.. What a bunch of spoiled babies…

#5 9 months ago
  6. Joe Anderson

I’m pretty happy with the quality of the titles so far, then there are the Vita and PS3 titles too. What more do people want? Eh Ahsan Rasheed? Some people are so self entitled.

#6 9 months ago
  7. GK

people are spoiled because of xbox,PS+ offers shit,shitty games and staff,look at the xbox,what kind of games they get it,it’s epic,Sony prooved again that they are losers :)

#7 9 months ago
  8. OlderGamer

I have no complaints. PSN+ is a great value.

That being said, I bet Knack is the first AAA game to be given away.

#8 9 months ago
  9. DuckNation

I just renewed my PS+ membership for another year yesterday it has saved my plenty of money on my ps3 i expect the same for ps4 once we get a library that can sustain it. I would have figured knack would have been out now because of the low reviews

#9 9 months ago
  10. yeoung

Considering the fact that the platform has launched fairly recently, a small library of AAA games means they keep a steady stream of income as sales accumulate, as such it’s simply not the time for devs/pubs to be part of the PS+ IGC.

Factors are a lack of direct competition/cannibalization and the fact that PS4′s are still selling at an early adopters rate. The fact that Sony managed to plug the gap with indies is both positive for those developers, as well as for Sony’s 3rd party relations and the consumer.

Honestly, it’s pretty common-sense marketing, and it will benefit the gaming eco system in the long run. I see no problems here.

#10 9 months ago
  11. GK

9,how Sony said,you get 70+ rating games.i hope so they make 1 exception for Knack soon :) anyways,we get and Drive Club :)

#11 9 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

@OlderGamer @DuckNation Not with how Knack is doing in Japan :D

Comment: Essentially what @1/4 posted, PS4 arrived a few months and some AAA titles haven’t lost their freshness so until negotiations with third parties fall through, indie developers will be more than happy to gain launch exposure with 3 million+ PS Plus subscribers.

Although for some AAA is more preferable than indies and of course vice versa. I think AAA titles should start arriving in fall, more than enough time for certain titles to lose their freshness.

#12 9 months ago
  13. OneLifeCycle

I killed zombies on Dead Nation last night! MothaFocking ZOMBIES!!!!

#13 9 months ago
  14. heyvc

@Legendaryboss Knack is free with the console in Japan.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

@heyvc I know, just joshing with its success.

#15 9 months ago
  16. salarta

I really don’t get why this guy is complaining about a “lack of games” or “features.” If he hadn’t included the words “Sony” and “PS4,” I would’ve thought it could be either console, maybe even lean more toward thinking he meant Microsoft and the XBox One instead of Sony since Microsoft went out of their way to advertise a slew of “features.”

It’s only been four months since the console released, it has Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack and several indie games already, and it’s going to have Ground Zeroes and inFAMOUS: Second Son out at the end of the month. What does this guy expect, the Sony equivalent of five Mario games out two months after the console’s release?

#16 9 months ago
  17. kingy

@OlderGamer knack is ok I had fun with it ..it’s not the best game ever but it is fun and that’s what games are about at the end of the day 😃 so if it’s free on ps+ I think everyone should give it a go lol

#17 9 months ago
  18. Mozz3r

Surely most people expected this to happen anyway? Thuway really just throws crap around and hopes some of it sticks. I wouldn’t say he has a solid track record, it was only a month ago he ‘confirmed’ Titanfall alpha textures were final on Xbox one.

#18 9 months ago